New Toyota Supra formally announced

Soldato
I think I still trust Harris' opinion over the internet though. He has the experience of thrashing these cars and giving his opinion. Clarkson on the other hand has always admitted to not being a skilled driver, he just has /opinions/, like them or not.

It was more a comment on the above where people all over are saying about the lack of Japanese feel of the car in the cabin and other areas.

Some of them are saying it does feel a bit similar to the gt86, it's the same designers afterall. But obviously it's quite a bit heavier with a shorter wheel base. That might mean it doesn't drift quite as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's also a Toyota in many, many, many ways too.

As with the GT86 / BRZ, it's a combined effort but the individual manufacturers have done their own work on the cars to make them genuinely different. But this is the internet so, omg it's the same thing just with a different skin!!!!oneone etc.

Whilst I completely agree with your point, I don't think the GT86/BRZ is the best example to pick to make it...and I say that as a proud owner of one. Apart from some very subtle styling choices (different dash cluster, head unit, front bumper, front wing garnish), the BR86 twins are pretty much identical, and I think all built by Subaru. I don't think I've seen a single component on my car which didn't have a stamp on it somewhere stating that it was a Subaru part. There's even a picture on the owner's club that I saw, where someone had debadged their car and taken a picture of the back of the Toyota logo..."Subaru" :p

With the Supra/Z4 though, I agree, the difference is much more than just a reskin, and they will be genuinely different. To be honest, I don't see what the fuss is about - surely the combination of BMW interior, engine and gearbox with Japanese ethos, styling and warranty is a good thing, and any manufacturer bringing out a relatively affordable, RWD 6-cylinder coupé is something to be celebrated. I think people are just getting bogged down by deifying the name "Supra".

Soldato
The dual injection system on the gt86/BRZ is Toyota's and a few other bits. But the body, engine, gearbox and chassis is Subaru. They are all made in the same Subaru factory in Gunma, Japan. Though it was Tada-San's project.

Early cars had a slightly different suspension setup between the brands, but even that is all the same now.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm with you on yellow it looks incredible!

Having watched a few videos on this, they've mentioned the 2.0 litre model is on sale on Japan, is it also using a BMW engine?

Soldato
With the Supra/Z4 though, I agree, the difference is much more than just a reskin, and they will be genuinely different. To be honest, I don't see what the fuss is about - surely the combination of BMW interior, engine and gearbox with Japanese ethos, styling and warranty is a good thing, and any manufacturer bringing out a relatively affordable, RWD 6-cylinder coupé is something to be celebrated. I think people are just getting bogged down by deifying the name "Supra".

Totally agree with this. I've seen a few people complain that the interior doesn't feel Japanese... Who genuinely wants a Toyota interior inside a £50k car when you can have the interior of a more premium brand and an infotainment system that's pretty much the best in the business. Similar story with the engine, Toyota don't make an inline 6 engine anymore so they go to the people that have the most experience in them so that they can at least have a proper engine in their car, and still people complain...

Soldato
Totally agree with this. I've seen a few people complain that the interior doesn't feel Japanese... Who genuinely wants a Toyota interior inside a £50k car when you can have the interior of a more premium brand and an infotainment system that's pretty much the best in the business. Similar story with the engine, Toyota don't make an inline 6 engine anymore so they go to the people that have the most experience in them so that they can at least have a proper engine in their car, and still people complain...

They have their own 3.5 twin turbo v6, why not use that? Toyota PR state something about Supra needing an inline 6 but I don't buy that at all. GTR moved to a v6 and nobody really cried about that.

Soldato
They have their own 3.5 twin turbo v6, why not use that? Toyota PR state something about Supra needing an inline 6 but I don't buy that at all. GTR moved to a v6 and nobody really cried about that.

Is it a better engine that the BMW Inline 6? Even if it was, some people might still complain that it's a generic engine that can be found in other Toyota cars rather than some bespoke engine.

Soldato

It probably wouldn't fit, or would require too many changes to the Z4 underpinnings, making it a no-go idea.

(You'd also have to do all of the crash testing, integration, and all of that kind of jazz again... that's a lot of work for a project such as this.)

Soldato
Is it a better engine that the BMW Inline 6? Even if it was, some people might still complain that it's a generic engine that can be found in other Toyota cars rather than some bespoke engine.

You can't really get much better than Lexus' engines. But it would have made the car even more expensive and they wouldn't be able to install it on the Z4 platform I guess.

We are definitely going to see engine swaps, if only to reduce the BMWness :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea that is the problem with "sporty" versions of existing platforms. You don't get a driving position or feel anywhere near as good as a proper purpose built sports car.

In the Supra you won't get things like an off-center seat, steering wheel or pedals for practically reasons. It'll be driver focused.

Soldato
Yea that is the problem with "sporty" versions of existing platforms. You don't get a driving position or feel anywhere near as good as a proper purpose built sports car.

In the Supra you won't get things like an off-center seat, steering wheel or pedals for practically reasons. It'll be driver focused.

How did they manage to produce such a 'driver focused' car and leave out the option for a manual box. Does not compute.

Back
Top Bottom