Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato
Finally sorted my PfCO last week (the flight operations assessment part) which means I'll be able to charge for my time through work now although we'll see just how much of that type of work comes in!

Glad to get it sorted finally and I've got a nice new Mavic 2 Pro coming to replace my vanilla Phantom 4 :D

Anyone else doing any charged work these days?

Associate
I imported a Betafpv 85x HD Crossfire. Wow, this quad is amazing. Can't wait to get some cine whoop footage.

Although.....I had a duff caddx turtle v2 camera (yellow screen) which i need to ship back to TBS but while i wait, i ordered another caddx from a UK shop. Not one single problem now!

wnb

wnb

Soldato
What is the law of the land with regards to these drones? Nextdoor is for sale and potential buyer gets a drone out and start buzzing about over our land. I assume the guy was tyring to get a better look at the roof.

Associate
What is the law of the land with regards to these drones? Nextdoor is for sale and potential buyer gets a drone out and start buzzing about over our land. I assume the guy was tyring to get a better look at the roof.

If its closer than 50m it contradicts the Drone Code. Not sure what exemptions can be made for professional surveys but it doesn't sound like that. I'd have thought asking first would be the least they could do

Soldato

Most operators will be on the standard version of Article 95:

The SUA operator and remote pilot must not fly a SUSA (equipped to undertake any form of surveillance or
data acquisition) in the following circumstances except in accordance with a permission issued by the CAA:
  • Over or within 150 metres of any congested area (PfCO alleviates for 0-20 kg category)
  • Over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons
  • Within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in
  • charge of the aircraft
  • Within 50 metres of any person except when taking off and landing (does not apply to the remote pilot
  • of the SUSA or a person under the control of the remote pilot)
  • During take-off or landing, a SUSA must not be flown within 30 metres of any person (does not apply
  • to the remote pilot of the SUSA or a person under the control of the remote pilot)

However, although we're not, these can be issued as per the first part of the code. In this situation it's highly unlikely the buyer is a professional and has alternate permission, but like most things in life I prefer to side on common sense and reasonable expectations. Even ensuring your clear 50m in a quiet suburban area is difficult, nigh on impossible. As long as he wasn't flying dangerously, causing a nuisance, invading your privacy etc then as MadMossy said, it's better than scaffolding.

Soldato
While I completely understand the need for regulation when it comes to model aircraft like drones or RC planes/helicopters I do think the restrictions put in place are far too restrictive as a whole. Most responsible owners already fly in a safe manner, which is evident by the fact there have been zero incidents that have resulted in injury or death from any RC aircraft.

Yes there are irresponsible people around who do stupid things, but then that applies to pretty much everything anywhere. I've had people approach me while out flying my quadcopter in a public park, I spotted someone on my FPV view approaching my direction so I landed immediately and disarmed the quadcopter. Their dogs ran towards me, one jumped at me. Completely friendly and harmless, the owner then started bitching about drones and that I shouldn't be flying there.

I said in a firm manner, I am flying perfectly safely and legally and consider myself a responsible pilot. They went on about how dangerous drones are. To which I replied, how many people have been killed or injured by drones this year then? None, then how many people have been killed or injured by dogs at the hands of irresponsible dog owners. They shut up and left. I packed up and went somewhere else. 99.9% of this fear is a direct result of the media.

Soldato
So my wife bought me a drone for my birthday
Love her to bits but it turns out she bought me a racing drone rather than a photography based drone.
Not my thing but Im thinking it will be a good opportunity to learn how to fly one and have a bit of fun before I pony up the cash for a DJ II whatever.
I have assembled the drone, it has power when I plug in the battery, but as soon as I turn on the controller I get the following...

"warning place all switches in the up position and lower the throttle"

This is straight out the box, no upgrades or mods, just initial first time turn it on. No matter what I do, the error message stays the same. I have seen youtube vids where I have to take the controller apart and trim plastic trim - surely that can't be right?

It is a flysky fs6-i6 controller with whatever FW it was delivered with

How can I fix this? It's not the toy I wanted, but now I have it, Im itching to play with it :)

Dup

Dup

Soldato
It's a safety feature I guess. To make sure when it connects to the quad it doesn't suddenly just take off because the throttle is not at zero. I presume you need to do this before you switch on the quad.

Soldato
All switches up and if its mode 2 left stick all the way down.
1 of the sticks should have no spring centre on the vertical axis thats the throttle.
Cheers
Dave :)

Yep, that will be the left stick - makes no difference for the error message

First of all which one did you get?

Secondly be careful with the throttle, you'll be surprised how quick they can be.

Eachine Wizard X220 - not interested in FPV racing, but I am interested in using it for learning to fly and then buying whatever I need so that I can mount a camera and take photo's as Im a photography nut (which is why my wife bought it for me, she didn't realise it was the wrong type )

Associate
Try with throttle up incase switch is reversed.
Try both sticks down and fully left when u power on, may let u in to a secret menu, sounds like a failed switch or throttle stick not set in bottom position correctly.
Cheers
Dave :)

Soldato
Yep, that will be the left stick - makes no difference for the error message

Eachine Wizard X220 - not interested in FPV racing, but I am interested in using it for learning to fly and then buying whatever I need so that I can mount a camera and take photo's as Im a photography nut (which is why my wife bought it for me, she didn't realise it was the wrong type )

Great little quad, I one of mine is the 6S version the wizard x220hv. I wouldn't dismiss fpv before you try it, by all means learn to fly line of sight, but grab a pair of eachine goggles for like 40-60 quid and try it out you might like it, specially if you like the thrill of speed.

You could always mount a GoPro to the top :)

Last edited:
Soldato
It looks like it was a dodgy controller, I ordered another flysky from the rainforest and it turns on fine
Next up

Update FW to either 10 or 14 channel
Get it attached to a flight sim and learn how to fly it

I do have one question, the new i6 came with a receiver, can I still use my old one or do I have to replace it with the new one. I have never managed to connect the old i6 to the drone, so I'm hoping the old one will work??

Back
Top Bottom