Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Soldato
I've had chance to have a quick go. Having had a psvr, this all in one device is impressive. Like what I've played around with so far. A bit of faff with the straps and it's quite top heavy after a while, but I've not made it fit perfectly yet.

Only played robo recall for the first time, that was harder than I thought, and beat saber.

Much prefer the untethered option already though.

How would you say the quality and fov compares to the PSVR? I sold mine as I thought it was a bit rubbish.
Mainly interested in it for movies.

Soldato
First impressions:

+ Screens lovely - vibrant and clear with minimal screen door.
+ wireless VR is amazing
+ Works well with glasses
+ Inside out tracking works really well, both for the headset and controllers.
+ Guardian setup is super easy.

- Speakers very poor - much worse than the Go, which is astonishing. These were supposed to be an improvement over the Go.
- Front heavy - had to wear it pretty tight. (will look at getting a battery pack that I can attach to the back to balance it)
- FOV seems narrower (probably due to glasses spacer)
- No way to have just a floor outline of your playspace, so walls keep appearing if you're in a small space.

Played a bit of Robo recall and the downgrades are obvious - lower resolution models and textures, much reduced visual effects, and a bit jittery in places. But it plays exactly the same which is amazing.

Soldato
Played a bit more:
Space Pirate Trainer is really, really good fun despite a graphical downgrade.
Vader Immortal is an excellent interactive experience. Very high production values, and nails the Star Wars feel.
3D movies look amazing. Slightly more SDE than the Go, but the colours are so vibrant, and the contrast and blacks so good. The 3D just pops right out. I think this is a better viewing experience than the Go, though it did seem a bit jittery by comparison (using Skybox). Maybe there's some optimisation to be done here.

I notice there are some minor God Rays, but nothing too bad. There's also some faint mura on black screens but this is way less noticable than Rift
The guardian system does get on my nerves because I'm trying it in a small area. I'd prefer to have a ground outline, like the Rift does in these cases.

Soldato
OP
The in-built speakers are bobbins so currently printing a bracket out for my PortaPro.

Whats everyone bought?

Me:
Space Pirate Trainer
Vader Immortal
Robo Recall (well got that with the Rift)

Don't really want to buy Beat Sabre again as have it on Rift and PSVR.

Going to spend about another £30 now and then wait for (hopefully) some sales.

Recommendations????

Associate
Can you buy the VR cover for this anywhere in uk/Europe?!!

Can only see them on the official site shipping from the US
express shipping costs as much as the bloody covers!!

Soldato
I think there must be something wrong with the built-in audio on my Quest - it really is appalling. It's loud enough but it's missing a huge frequency range - not just bass. It's massively worse than my Oculus Go which I often use without headphones. I've read reports that some Quest users are saying the audio is better than the Go, and others reporting the same as me.

Nate Mitchell of Oculus has said they're looking at a software update to improve Rift S audio, and I wonder if they'll be doing the same for the Quest. I may open a support ticket with Oculus to see what they say.

Soldato
OP
I think there must be something wrong with the built-in audio on my Quest - it really is appalling. It's loud enough but it's missing a huge frequency range - not just bass. It's massively worse than my Oculus Go which I often use without headphones. I've read reports that some Quest users are saying the audio is better than the Go, and others reporting the same as me.

Nate Mitchell of Oculus has said they're looking at a software update to improve Rift S audio, and I wonder if they'll be doing the same for the Quest. I may open a support ticket with Oculus to see what they say.
nope they are turd. Beat Sabre was horrible but they're a load of apologists on Reddit who say it's fine.

Soldato
- Speakers very poor - much worse than the Go, which is astonishing. These were supposed to be an improvement over the Go.

That's surprising as I found the speakers on the Oculus Go were pretty decent other than lacking a bit of bass. Though admittedly I'm no audiophile.

Can't help but wonder if Oculus intentionally downgraded them to encourage people to buy their own, rather extortionately priced, headphones!

It's a shame though as , whilst I'm sure there will be others available, I found the built in ones very convenient as it means you can tell if the doorbell/telephone rings or someone walks into the room whilst using the Quest.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Well, I bought this into Uni today so I could have a better play with it. Summary - it's great! Screen is super sharp, less god rays than the Rift, nicer fit than the Go, speakers are perfectly fine. Tracking is really, really good, even in RoboRecall where you have to put your hands over the shoulders to get shotguns (I assume it's not actually tracking them at that point, it's just recognising a gesture). I've experience a super, super rare tracking glitch in Beat Sabre where I've done an unusually large back swipe but the Rift with two sensors occasionally does the same, it hasn't impacted gameplay.

If it wasn't for driving games on my PC, I would ditch the Rift completely now the Quest is here.

An outstanding product and I'm really looking forward to moving my Rift and Go development projects over to it.

Soldato
speakers are perfectly fine.

I'd be interested in a comparison with your Quest audio and how you found the Go audio.

I'm trying to work out if I have a defective unit or if the audio is actually this terrible. I'm suspicious because it seems highly variable between one unit and another, and some people are finding the Rift S is similar.

For a £500 device (I got the 128gb version) I expected better.

The trouble is with returning it is it's always a lottery as to if you get a better unit or not - especially if this is a common issue (and it seems it is) In all other respects I'm happy with the device, and it's a problem easily remedied by plugging in earphones (though that takes away some of the convenience).

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I'd be interested in a comparison with your Quest audio and how you found the Go audio.

I'm trying to work out if I have a defective unit or if the audio is actually this terrible. I'm suspicious because it seems highly variable between one unit and another, and some people are finding the Rift S is similar.

For a £500 device (I got the 128gb version) I expected better.

The trouble is with returning it is it's always a lottery as to if you get a better unit or not - especially if this is a common issue (and it seems it is) In all other respects I'm happy with the device, and it's a problem easily remedied by plugging in earphones (though that takes away some of the convenience).

A touch less bass on the Quest (in percentage terms, maybe 10-15%?), other tones are fine. I do have to have the Quest volume set higher in comparison to the Go. Playing Beat Sabre was perfectly ok on the Quest with volume about 3/4 of the way up.

Regardless though, if you want lots of bass and volume, then you'll want to use headphones on both devices.

Soldato
what's the thinking on memory? 64 or 128

I got the 128gb for future proofing (you can't upgrade the memory), plus it gives more room for large media files like 3D movies on the device. However many users are saying 64gb is plenty, though the OS takes 10gb, so you only have around 54gb free.

Soldato
I got the 128gb for future proofing (you can't upgrade the memory), plus it gives more room for large media files like 3D movies on the device. However many users are saying 64gb is plenty, though the OS takes 10gb, so you only have around 54gb free.

Thanks

can you stream movies, or should they be copied over?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Thanks

can you stream movies, or should they be copied over?

I stream from my nas box.

I have the 64gb version. Beat sabre, Vader, super hot, robo recall plus all demos and free apps installed, still have 35gb left.

Soldato
Speakers very poor - much worse than the Go, which is astonishing. These were supposed to be an improvement over the Go.

Just been trying out mine for the last hour and I've personally no complaints about the speakers? I only had my Oculus Go for about a week at launch but they're as decent as I remember it being? Good enough that I don't think I'd bother with headphones most of the time at any rate.

Some random first impressions :-

+ Visuals/Optics are excellect. SDE is slightly more noticeable than my WMR or PSVR headsets but the higher resolution and better OLED colours more than makes up for it. God rays were quite noticeable on black a backgrounds with white text like the Creed opening screen.

+ The new Oculus Touch controllers are fantastic. As someone who's only previously had the Playstation Move and Windows Mixed Reality ones I can't believe how much more comfortable and functional they are. The triggers being touch sensitive so you can point/grip is a great touch as well.

+ I have the 128Gb as fancied it for storing movies however, given the game install sizes are tiny, the 64Gb would be fine for most people.

- The comfort of the headset is IMO very poor unfortunately. The halo strap doesn't feel like it goes far enough behind your head and this leaves all of the weight resting on your forehead and cheekbones. The fabric the mask material is made out of seems really scratchy and uncomfortable. I need to have a play around with it but I'll be trying some VR covers and an overhead strap if I can't find a way to adjust it. I've never had a VR headset give me this bad a case of "VR Face". I would go so far as to say it's actually painful to wear for extended periods!

Overall the headset itself seems fantastic though. Need to try a few more games. Is there a demo version of Superhot as I was sure I saw it on Youtube video's but it's not on my Quest and doesn't seem to be available on the store? It's a shame more games don't have demo versions available :confused:

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

- The comfort of the headset is IMO very poor unfortunately. The halo strap doesn't feel like it goes far enough behind your head and this leaves all of the weight resting on your forehead and cheekbones. The fabric the mask material is made out of seems really scratchy and uncomfortable. I need to have a play around with it but I'll be trying some VR covers and an overhead strap if I can't find a way to adjust it. I've never had a VR headset give me this bad a case of "VR Face". I would go so far as to say it's actually painful to wear for extended periods!
Try one of these:- https://www.studioformcreative.com/product-page/go-quest-deluxe-strap-black

A colleague at Uni suffers the same thing with VR headsets, esp the Rift (I don't for some reason, inc the Quest which I've been wearing nearly all day) and he swears by it.

Back
Top Bottom