Red light camera

Associate
Let's say if you was stopped on a red traffic light and 3 police cars come behind you lights blazing and the only way you can let them past is by going over the line and pulling to the side

Will you still get done even if it's for allowing an emergency vehicle past

Don
From what I gathered off that I may be getting a fine oh goody gum drops
Did you read it? It confirms that letting police through is a legitimate defence. Yes, you might get a fine through, but you can defend it by stating you were getting out of the way of police (in a safe manner). They should also have footage of the police going through.

Sgarrista
Commissario
From what I gathered off that I may be getting a fine oh goody gum drops

Family member did the same, when the paperwork came through he simply rang up the number on there and explained the situation, they told him what to fill out and sent it back. Got a letter a few weeks later saying the fine had been dropped.

Soldato
Last year I saw two cars move for an ambulance on a red light camera junction and wondered if they'd get the fine. Lights were flashing but no noise so not a serious emergency so presumably they would?

Don
Last year I saw two cars move for an ambulance on a red light camera junction and wondered if they'd get the fine. Lights were flashing but no noise so not a serious emergency so presumably they would?
It’s only a crime to obstruct police in their duty or some such (or failing to follow an officers instructions can’t remember the specific offence that’s being committed). Not getting out of the way for fire engines or ambulances doesn’t have the same legal implications so your mileage in defending a red light ticket in that case could vary. Pretty sure there’s been people in the paper after getting tickets in these cases not being successful in appealing them.

Soldato
Did you read it? It confirms that letting police through is a legitimate defence. Yes, you might get a fine through, but you can defend it by stating you were getting out of the way of police (in a safe manner). They should also have footage of the police going through.

It doesn't though. A police officer can instruct you to cross a red light but simply having a police vehicle behind you probably won't hold up as a defence. It's why in training they're taught not to put pressure on drivers to do so.

Man of Honour
It doesn't at all. It says if you can provide evidence it may be considered as mitigation. Not quite the same as you'll definitely get away with it as long as you contest it.

Soldato

The reason they turn off the sirens at red lights like that is to try and stop the public from panicking and doing something daft.

It is illegal to cross a red light unless directed to do so by a uniformed police officer, but if doing so to allow emergency vehicles to pass then this MAY be taken into account

Soldato
As someone said above, you are allowed to move through a red light BUT only if directed by a Police Officer.

Within West Midlands Ambulance Service we are taught not to force other road users through red lights. Any decent blue light driver will be constantly assessing the junction as they approach to see if they can make it round you either by using the opposite side of the road or by slaloming through the traffic on the correct side. If we can't get through the lights stay on but we deactivate the sirens until we can move.

If we are unable to see where we are going IE past temporary traffic lights on a bend, a bridge or a hill etc, personally I turn everything off until I get a green light so users don't panic and try and move through into roadworks or with oncoming traffic stopping within the road works causing further delay once the lights go green.

Simply put, if you do it, do it safe. Don't put yourself or other road users in danger. But you could be prosecuted.

Soldato

I'm not sure i'd trust that "they should also have footage of the police going through". It'd be just your luck that at the time the camera snapped a photo, it only captured you and no emergency vehicles.

Also that askthepolice website is ridiculous:

It is important to remember that in committing the offence (crossing the stop line) the onus will be on you to provide evidence that you did so to allow an emergency vehicle through, and this may be considered as mitigation.

Yeah let me get my phone out and record the police behind me as evidence and break another law whilst i'm at it.

AFAIK having points on your license for jumping a red is considered much worse than someone who's got points for speeding?

After reading that, if i ever find myself in that position, i think i'll move over as much as i possibly can without crossing the line, otherwise ES will need to wait for a green light.

Soldato
It’s only a crime to obstruct police in their duty or some such (or failing to follow an officers instructions can’t remember the specific offence that’s being committed). Not getting out of the way for fire engines or ambulances doesn’t have the same legal implications so your mileage in defending a red light ticket in that case could vary. Pretty sure there’s been people in the paper after getting tickets in these cases not being successful in appealing them.
Are you going to actually provide some citations for this?

Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom