*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
5kg per DL session? Heh, I miss those days. That won’t last forever.

I find 5x5 useful for OHP. Used to do 531 but started going backwards after a while. I can manage 80kg, maybe slightly more with a target of 100kg. Everything else takes it out of them though and they are way behind. 6 days a week for 1 1/2 to 2 hour sessions doesn’t help.

I couldn’t even tell you what my maximums are anymore. I rarely bother testing, I just add 2.5kg to my max every 3 weeks. Every 3 months or so I find myself in the mood to test and usually surprise myself.

The gym is becoming too social. I need to get back to it. It isn’t a massively weightlifting gym though, so hitting high totals for reps generally leads to people wanting to chat about it. Oh, and there are a few fine specimens who have joined :p

Soldato
30 mins to fit in all of the routine or are you literally just hitting the 3 exercises? even still squatting at 125 for 5x5 is gonna take up a good 20 mins with warmup and rest between sets.

Ok so do more working sets on deadlifts, 1x5 just isn't enough and really its one of the only things I fault with the program. Jump up to 3x5 for your working sets.

Also are you increasing the deadlift weight by 5kg per DL session? I suspect you aren't as if your squat went from 60-125 adding 2.5kg per session, your DL should have gone up to 155 for your working sets adding 5kg per DL session.

With the program when you fail to do your full prescribed 5x5 then you keep the weight the same for the next session and go again. Fail 2 or 3 times in a row then you deload the weight 10% and start progression from there again.
I thought the 3 exercises was the whole routine.

:rolleyes:

So I'd do a 5 min warm up on the cross trainer then 5x5 squats, 5x5 bench, 5x5 row, and thought that was me done! Not the case?

Squats are where the time is being eaten up. I am having to take longer than the 1 min-to-90-secs I'd been able to get by on up to 120kgs. If it's busy and I can't hog the neighbouring rack for OHP, or a bench for bench-press and use alternating exercises as additional rest, then the session takes too long.

I ramped up the squat but not the deadlifts - to be honest, I would typically be knackered after the other exercises, so by the time it got to deadlifts, I relished the relief! I thought the fatigue I was feeling was possibly an intentional part of the programme, and also the reason why they only program 1x5.

After all, deadlifts was the one exercise that I really knew my genuine 1rm for, so I felt more inclined to trust the programming on that one.

Thanks for the detail on failure. I was fairly sure I'd not be able to do 125 squats but now that I managed it on Monday, I think I'll try 125 again next time round, and if it's OK, I'll continue following the programmed increases.

On the deadlifts, I'll go to 3x5 and also ramp up to 150 and see how I get on.

Thanks.

Man of Honour
The 3 exercises are the routine (you may choose to add assistance exercises too) but there is warm up on each. The squat warm up and deadlift take quite a while when you reach higher weights. Are you jumping straight on to a 125kg squat without a warm up (apart from cross trainer)? That's the thing with the deadlift too, if you have done the full warm up you've done some heavy sets before you get to 1x5 of heaviest too.

Soldato
Hi all :)

First time ever posting in this thread or about my weight lifting and gym activities. I'm 30 years old, about 5 ft 4 tall, weighing around 74kg (I need to lose body fat badly, but cardio alone can't provide that for me).

I've been hitting the gym three times a week and doing weights for a few months now. Was a bit inconsistent originally, but I'm getting better now at keeping a program going. I'm running GZCLP (Link if people don't know what it is, I searched the forum and it didn't show my anything for it!) with my own changes to the T3s. It's a linear progression program, with my AMRAP final sets and increasing sets/reducing reps when failing to meet reps for a set. Just started my second rotation (T1 squat day was yesterday).

Current starting numbers for GZCLP are:

Squat: 50kg
Deadlift: 60kg
Bench: 35kg
Overhead press: 25kg

I feel like those numbers are pathetic, and that I am a total weakling. However, at least I'm doing more than people who aren't in the gym! I do my weight Mon, Wed, Fri and the Pete Plan Beginner rowing on Tues, Thurs and Sat. Sometimes get out my mountain bike too at Swinley. I'm on a calorie deficit to try and cut the fat, so I'm not expecting to gain massive amounts of muscle whilst losing weight, but I do still get those beginner gains! My total intake is around 1700 calories, 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat. 120g of protein roughly, you can work out the rest! Overall, healthy proteins (chicken and eggs) with a reasonably even split of protein across meals (high protein breakfast). I'm pretty stocky and broad for my height so very much towards being a full on endomorph. Most likely I'm 60/40 endo/meso so an endo-mesomorph if you want to use that exact term.

Just wondering if you guys have any general advice on improving lifts, especially OHP (my arms feel really weak). I used to swim when I was younger (8-14) so I have super strong legs, but I had a problem with my shoulders (over developed front shoulder muscles and under developed back shoulder muscles) so my arms would pop forward. Eventually it ended up affecting my lower back and hamstring flexibility too. Might explain why my arms are so weak.

What are people's thoughts on ZMA for helping sleep and general muscle recovery? Is casein worth it for gaining some protein in the evening before going to sleep?

Hopefully I will make progress over the coming months and be able to post about it! I certainly feel stronger and have noticed an increase in muscle definition in my legs, and an increase in overall size of my arms. Any encouragement would be great as I feel quite self conscious about lifting such small amounts of weight. Any advice is also appreciated! Thanks :)

Soldato
Hopefully I will make progress over the coming months and be able to post about it! I certainly feel stronger and have noticed an increase in muscle definition in my legs, and an increase in overall size of my arms. Any encouragement would be great as I feel quite self conscious about lifting such small amounts of weight. Any advice is also appreciated! Thanks :)

I wouldn't worry about the numbers, as long they are going in the right direction then it really doesn't matter. If you are seeing results and the amount of weight is going up then just keep at it.

Soldato
I thought the 3 exercises was the whole routine.

:rolleyes:
Technically yes they are the program but typically people add 2-3 assistance exercises to the plan to round it out.

As for the deadlift just add 10kg the next session and then add 5kg from there.

Regarding the time, as the weights get heavier the program advises more warmup sets ramping up to your working sets, and longer rest periods as required, up to 2-3mins between sets when you are getting close to failing the 5x5 plan right before you are deloading.

Supersetting (jumping from one exercise to the other) is just going to make things even harder for you.

The best advise is try and give yourself more time if you can.

Permabanned
What are people's thoughts on ZMA for helping sleep and general muscle recovery? Is casein worth it for gaining some protein in the evening before going to sleep?

Aye, wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about ZMA myself. My sleep is utterly dreadful despite following good sleep hygiene patterns. I knock casein back almost every night as I struggle to get the necessary protein in from foods during the day (especially towards the end of the week where my meal prep starts to run out). Can't say I've really noticed it doing anything for my sleep though, not that it's meant to.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
ZMA is recommend to be taken on an empty stomach, anything dairy based will reduce it's effectiveness. I've been taking ZMA, I think it's making a difference. It's pretty cheap so I take as it may be helping my sleep. My sleep is pretty good as it is.

Permabanned
ZMA is recommend to be taken on an empty stomach, anything dairy based will reduce it's effectiveness. I've been taking ZMA, I think it's making a difference. It's pretty cheap so I take as it may be helping my sleep. My sleep is pretty good as it is.

Hmmm, may have to forego the casein if I decide to try it out then. Will do a bit more research beforehand. Always feel slightly anxious about supplements like that, even though there's no reason to be given how well researched most are.

Soldato
There's a paucity of research for the claims that are made for the usefulness of ZMA (at least in terms of studies not funded or conducted by people selling ZMA). That doesn't mean it might not be useless for some things, but there's certainly a lack of evidence at the moment, and it's not hard to hit the RDAs for zinc, magnesium or vitamin B6 with a varied diet.

Example

Results of the present study do not support contentions that ZMA supplementation increases zinc or magnesium status and/or affects training adaptations in experienced resistance trained males with normal zinc status. These findings are in contrast with the notion that ZMA supplementation can increase zinc and magnesium status, anabolic hormone status, and/or strength gains during training. These findings refute claims that ZMA supplementation in the amount and manner investigated provides ergogenic value to experienced resistance trained athletes.

Soldato
Forgot to add, for sleep you'd be better off experimenting with melatonin (have to order online) or 5-HTP (off the shelf), since these contribute to serotonin levels which can in term have an affect on your wake/sleep cycles (esp for shift work, jet lag, and if you've indulged in any substances at the weekend that deplete serotonin).

Permabanned
Cheers for the pointers. Really do need to get it sorted. Just came on all of a sudden about a month or so ago. Initially thought it was just the clocks going forward but since experimented with blocking out all light to no avail. Been waking up at around 4 every morning these last few weeks. Tis a coin toss as to whether or not I'll be able to drop off again :/

Soldato
The best thing you can do for sleep is make sure you get to bed earlier and start a wind down to bed time before this. Reducing screen time etc, no screens in bed, significantly reduce liquid intake or stop it all together 2hours before bed. All far better then supplementation.

I have started going to bed early and stopped using my phone/ipad in bed and gained an average of an hour a night at least. Average sleep per week has gone up to 7.5hrs from around 6.25hrs, all from being a little more respectful of bed time.

Man of Honour
I find a massive difference if I read in bed to wind down vs anything else (TV, audible etc.). Absolute worst for me is looking at phone pre bed. Costs me at least an hour and less restful as compared to reading. I still make the mistake often though.

Permabanned
I find a massive difference if I read in bed to wind down vs anything else (TV, audible etc.). Absolute worst for me is looking at phone pre bed. Costs me at least an hour and less restful as compared to reading. I still make the mistake often though.

Gotta honest, I do almost always fall asleep with the TV on... find it very difficult to get off without something to focus in on. Maybe taking a book to bed is more efficient. Will give it a go for the next few nights.

It's not that I have difficulty getting too sleep really, it's more that I just wake up at some god forsaken hour and can so rarely get back off.

Soldato
I used to have the TV on a sleep timer, then I found I could turn the screen off and have the noise on still, now I listen to audio books works a treat.

Also something else is going to bed to late, getting past tired. Had to pick my wife up from a concert last night and went to bed about and hour and a half later then I have been for the last few weeks, then couldn't get to sleep for over an hour even just laying there with my audio book on.

Soldato
Had a go at the assault bikes they whacked into the new crossfit area of the Gym, we were all trying to see how many calories could be burned in one minute.

Holy crap, I can see why it's nicknamed 'the devils tricycle'. I won't be venturing near that thing any time soon!

Soldato
Anyone signed up for the StrongLifts 'Pro' subscription which gives you all the warm up set weights etc?
I have to admit I have nearly always just going in and jumping straight to the weight with maybe a couple empty bar warm ups. Ive had no issues so far but that will change when im on heavier weights. I gather I could just roughly work out what I should do but the app is nice and easy**!

**I shouldn't be so lazy!*

Didn't go over the weekend or yesterday so first session since friday today, 75kg Squat, 90kg Dead and 33kg OHP (Didn't have the energy here :()

Also I have been thinking about taking some pre-workout before I get to the gym as I do my sessions in the mornings, it placebo with a mix of some scientific benefits or do you guys actually recommend it?

Soldato
Anyone signed up for the StrongLifts 'Pro' subscription which gives you all the warm up set weights etc?
I have to admit I have nearly always just going in and jumping straight to the weight with maybe a couple empty bar warm ups. Ive had no issues so far but that will change when im on heavier weights. I gather I could just roughly work out what I should do but the app is nice and easy**!

**I shouldn't be so lazy!*

Didn't go over the weekend or yesterday so first session since friday today, 75kg Squat, 90kg Dead and 33kg OHP (Didn't have the energy here :()

Also I have been thinking about taking some pre-workout before I get to the gym as I do my sessions in the mornings, it placebo with a mix of some scientific benefits or do you guys actually recommend it?

The most efficacious thing in pre-workouts is a lot of caffeine. There are some other things that may help with more endurance-based work (or really high rep sets), but for heavy lifting other than getting your daily dose of creatine monohydrate and a dose of caffeine that actually stimulates you there's not really anything legal that does much of anything.

Also warm-ups are pretty easy to work out yourself. With the big compound movements it should be mandatory you warm up to your working sets, mainly to practice the movement pattern and lock the form down, and acclimatise yourself to the loads you'll be using. For something like a deadlift, say you were doing 100kg for 5's, I'd do plenty of RDLs with the bar, then something like 60kg x 6, 80kg x 3, 90kg x 1 then crack on. Basically pyramid up in terms of as the weight goes up, the reps go down so you don't pre-fatigue yourself for the actual high-effort sets. If you do any secondary movements for the same muscle group you might only want to do 1 warm-up set because you're already acclimatised. Any sort of stuff in the 12-15 rep range I just go straight in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom