Ebay and their delivery partner shutl

Associate
OP
Sounds like I'm a bit screwed either way then which is quite sad.

Not only will I be down 2x postage plus what was a saleable item, but today I got an email from ebay reminding me that their commission based fee will be auto-debited from my paypal also!

In the end I'll have paid ebay and their delivery agent close to £20 for the pleasure of doing me out of £70 worth of goods.

Associate
Sounds like I'm a bit screwed either way then which is quite sad.

Not only will I be down 2x postage plus what was a saleable item, but today I got an email from ebay reminding me that their commission based fee will be auto-debited from my paypal also!

In the end I'll have paid ebay and their delivery agent close to £20 for the pleasure of doing me out of £70 worth of goods.

Their fee will be credited back to if you follow the correct returns procedure through eBay.
The problem with private internet purchases the rules need to sway in one direction - either favour the seller or buyer.
Unfortunately if they favoured the seller then no one would buy considering the high risk. People will always take a risk to make a bit of extra cash so this is the way it is. That said I’ve sold a few high value items on eBay and thankfully I’ve had no issues. I’ve also sold to complete idiots who had no idea what they were doing.

Associate
OP
Their fee will be credited back to if you follow the correct returns procedure through eBay.
What does "the correct returns procedure" mean though? Do I just have to accept a refund on trust? And, if I want the machine back, to pay for its postage a second time?

My last two messages have asked how the buyer wishes to proceed giving 3 options:

1) With proof of physical damage (a cracked screen) we can look to agree a partial refund. [all I want is a decent photo which they seem to refuse to take]
2) With proof that there are further issues we can arrange a full refund [the buyer claims the system will not boot with an external monitor, but it was sold without HDDs so I imagine it just says "no boot media" or similar]
3) If the buyer wants to spend no time taking photos or showing fault (which after a week of trading messages, they appear not to), they can send it back to me to examine.

He has completely ignored these and the previous couple of messages have been increasingly rude... I'm going to keep messaging once per day asking how he/she want's to proceed, but imagine it will proceed to ebay ruling now which to my understanding leaves me paying the ebay fee either way...

Soldato
You can't just make up your own options for him. You need to follow ebay's rules.
If it was me, I would want to return for a full refund, not agree a partial refund with the seller. You have to give him that option.

You said yourself that the good parts in it were Screen + Mobo, so there's probably a 50% chance that it's completely useless to him now that it has a cracked screen.

Soldato
have you called ebay to say that seller has been unable to provide photos, so it appears it is not broken ? [ ... has the buyer, previously sold stuff where he provided good photos ]
that may polarize the situation, in your favour, so that, at minimum, ebay will expect him to pay for the return.

if well packed - biggest parcel with largest amount of padding it permits for cost tier, it sounds unlikely screen could crack without other damage

Soldato
have you called ebay to say that seller has been unable to provide photos, so it appears it is not broken ? [ ... has the buyer, previously sold stuff where he provided good photos ]
that may polarize the situation, in your favour, so that, at minimum, ebay will expect him to pay for the return.

if well packed - biggest parcel with largest amount of padding it permits for cost tier, it sounds unlikely screen could crack without other damage

You also don't seem to be getting to grips with the fact that sellers have no rights... Am I saying something that's hard to understand

Associate
What does "the correct returns procedure" mean though? Do I just have to accept a refund on trust? And, if I want the machine back, to pay for its postage a second time?

If I'm honest I've only dealt with returns on low-value items - which in my experience I have just refunded the full cost and then asked the buyer to dispose of the item, down to me being further out of pocket by the time I've paid for the return postage.

You also don't seem to be getting to grips with the fact that sellers have no rights... Am I saying something that's hard to understand

Whilst I agree, technically this should be covered under postage insurance - you can submit a claim for the damage on arrival via the courier (unfortunately the OP didn't read what service he was actually paying for). Is this not the same as an actual business selling stuff and posting it? The only unfair bit here is having to stump up the return postage - which is why I always make sure I'm happy with the sold price + postage both ways and only list on the £1 max fee days. eBay can work, you've just got to be a bit cautious - just like buying over the internet!

Associate
OP
So a semi-happy ending (compared to what was expected); the buyer accepted a partial refund! Obviously I'm out of pocket compared to where I should have been, but at least I'm not out of pocket 'net'.

I now just need to try to get some money back from shutl for delivering late and destroying the item...

Soldato
Did he show you proof? If I got a laptop with a smashed screen i'd want a full refund as I'm guessing its not cheap to get repaired? Plus how do you even smash the screen when it was presumably closed?

If it really was damaged then you can't have packed it well enough. I wrap the item in bubble wrap, then in cardboard and tape around it then put it into a large box, filled with them air filled polythene packing things. Always save all my packaging from Amazon etc and pack things so even if the delivery dude throws it across the warehouse it's not going to break.

Also, in future it might be wise to use the 1 day shutl service via UPS. I have used it a few times now for large/expensive items and it gets there fast with no issues. Ebays shutl service is a god send for me as I hated going to the PO for small items, so £3.29 to have it collected from my house is great.

Associate
OP
Did he show you proof?

The buyer didn't provide any further evidence, but looking really closely at the original photos, if you blow up / zoom then there are what look like they might be cracks. But only really if you are looking for them.

Bearing in mind no new photos were going to be provided though, and with the ebay arbitration looming, losing some money rather than all the money seemed like a best case scenario.

Not likely to return to ebay as a seller...

Soldato
I hate ebay these days. It used to be for normal people to sell used items to other normal people. Now its become a semi pro trading market for bots and resellers of new items.

Every time i now check ebay for a 2nd hand item i want to buy i either dont find anything or what i do find is way overpriced for used.

Soldato
You offered a partial refund?

Oh dear. This is typical these days.

Buyers will claim something is slightly worse than they expected.

Ask for a partial refund.

Sellers grant them this as otherwise a full return and refund is more hassle.

Buyer gets items for discounted rate and the items were probably fine to begin with.

Soldato
You offered a partial refund?

Oh dear. This is typical these days.

Buyers will claim something is slightly worse than they expected.

Ask for a partial refund.

Sellers grant them this as otherwise a full return and refund is more hassle.

Buyer gets items for discounted rate and the items were probably fine to begin with.

Yeah, a mug born every second

Soldato
I've had a couple of items refunded in full through Shutl (UPS/Hermes delivered) after arriving damaged or going missing. Just use the form on the website. Takes a couple days for them to confirm and get back to you.

Soldato
Every time i now check ebay for a 2nd hand item i want to buy i either dont find anything or what i do find is way overpriced for used.

I think part of this is because ebay tells the seller what the item is worth when they list it, so it's very hard to find a bargain these days. I have been on the hunt for old Stanley/Record planes and vices and it's like every single seller knows their worth.

Back
Top Bottom