Windows 10

Soldato
I did a Macrium backup first and then applied the 1903 build to my 1809.
I see that they have introduced a problem with the Night Light function, altho swapping over to f.lux has resolved that..!
All seems to have gone well, apart from the noted issue above.

I don't have a problem with Night Light after uninstalled Nvidia 430.64 driver then reinstalled nvidia driver performed clean installation after upgraded from 1809 to 1903 a month ago and on Insider build on bootable VHD 2 months ago worked fine.

I can confirmed Night Light function is worked properly on my desktop, my 2 laptops and 2 tablets with both Nvidia and Intel GPUs all ran 1903 OS Build 18362.116.

I am really not sure why Microsoft added Night Light to 1903 known issue list so maybe it could possible be an issue with AMD GPUs or someone experienced issues with Night Light broke must be caused by some third party apps or tools.

Soldato
Hi Guys, anybody else having nvidia driver issues on 1903? i cannot get the latest 430.64 to install at all, currently only have the windows update version

Thanks

Chris

I had no issue with Nvidia drivers on 1903 on both production for a month and insider build over the last 2 months. Installed latest 430.64 fine back on 9 May, I downloaded Standard version so make sure you download the correct version, you probably mistaken downloaded DCH version.

Soldato
I don't have a problem with Night Light after uninstalled Nvidia 430.64 driver then reinstalled nvidia driver performed clean installation after upgraded from 1809 to 1903 a month ago and on Insider build on bootable VHD 2 months ago worked fine.

I can confirmed Night Light function is worked properly on my desktop, my 2 laptops and 2 tablets with both Nvidia and Intel GPUs all ran 1903 OS Build 18362.116.

I am really not sure why Microsoft added Night Light to 1903 known issue list so maybe it could possible be an issue with AMD GPUs or someone experienced issues with Night Light broke must be caused by some third party apps or tools.

For me, with the latest Nvidia driver, night light works except when exiting from a game. For some reason it still shows as being on in the menu but in fact it is off, the screen being very bright. I have to toggle the on and off a couple of times for it to work ok.

Build 1809 it was perfect.

Soldato
For me, with the latest Nvidia driver, night light works except when exiting from a game. For some reason it still shows as being on in the menu but in fact it is off, the screen being very bright. I have to toggle the on and off a couple of times for it to work ok.

Build 1809 it was perfect.

Ah good find, I able to reproduced issue when exiting from a game. I not been used Night Light for 2 years but only used it very few times when I was very tired with screen brighter and I turned on Night Light to stopped it strained my eyes, I remembered Night Light was worked when exiting from a game 2 years ago on build 1703.

I will sent a report with diagnostic data on Feedback Hub.

Last edited:
Associate
I had no issue with Nvidia drivers on 1903 on both production for a month and insider build over the last 2 months. Installed latest 430.64 fine back on 9 May, I downloaded Standard version so make sure you download the correct version, you probably mistaken downloaded DCH version.

I tried the standard version first and that did not install so then had people say the dch version was ok so tried that and still the same issue, has code 43 in device manager, geforce experience will not install at all, even seperately, 1809 was fine, may try clean install of the standard version once more.

Soldato
Ah good find, I able to reproduced issue when exiting from a game. I not been used Night Light for 2 years but only used it very few times when I was very tired with screen brighter and I turned on Night Light to stopped it strained my eyes, I remembered Night Light was worked when exiting from a game 2 years ago on build 1703.

I will sent a report with diagnostic data on Feedback Hub.

Well done for providing feedback.
As noted switching over to f.lux works fine.
But the night light function is indeed problematic
For some reason Windows when exiting from a game does a type of "flash" to engage a normal screen brightness, ignoring the setting of the night function which is on. That brightness remains.
F.lux picks up on that "flash" and then reduces it back to the brightness you have set previously.

In 1809 that flash and change of brightness from exiting a game did not occur.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm using 430.64 with 1903 and I don't have any problems.

Don't use DDU, it causes more issues than it solves.

Is definately strange with mine, windows advises there is a driver issue when trying to upgrade, gtx 1080 with 1809 is fine, after upgrade to 1903 the only issue is the graphics driver will not install properly, have now rolled back to 1809 and is all fine again, maybe a clean install of 1903 may fix it but will probably wait a while, is strange that windows 1903 install seems to know that the driver is not compatible but other people seem to report it being ok

Associate
If you're noticing a bunch of ESENT errors in Event Viewer, the solution below was posted on Tenforums:

"I had this ESENT error over and over in event viewer.

svchost (4304,R,98) TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-18: Error -1023 (0xfffffc01) occurred while opening logfile C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\EDB.log.

Solution was to go to C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\

Create the folder TileDataLayer then inside that folder create Database folder.

After I did that Windows automatically placed all the files in the Database folder."

Soldato
Well done for providing feedback.
As noted switching over to f.lux works fine.
But the night light function is indeed problematic
For some reason Windows when exiting from a game does a type of "flash" to engage a normal screen brightness, ignoring the setting of the night function which is on. That brightness remains.
F.lux picks up on that "flash" and then reduces it back to the brightness you have set previously.

In 1809 that flash and change of brightness from exiting a game did not occur.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-releases-windows-10-build-18362145---heres-whats-new

Just saw this on neowin and checked Windows Update and clicked to manually installed Cumulative Update KB4497935.

• Addresses an issue that may prevent Custom URI Schemes for Application Protocol handlers from starting the corresponding application for local intranet and trusted sites on Internet Explorer.

• Addresses an issue that prevents certain apps from launching when you set folder redirection for the Roaming AppData folder to a network path.

• Addresses an issue that my turn off Night light mode during display mode changes.

• Addresses an issue that may distort the rendering of a full-screen game when the Microsoft Game bar is visible on top of the game.

• Addresses an issue that prevents the removal of Bluetooth® peripheral devices from some systems with specific Bluetooth radios.

• Addresses an issue that may cause event 7600 in the Domain Name System (DNS) server event log to contain an unreadable server name.

• Addresses an issue in which the dots per inch (DPI) of the guest does not match the host.

• Addresses an issue that may cause an external USB device or SD memory card to be reassigned to an incorrect drive during installation. For more information, see "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10" error on a computer that has a USB device or SD card attached.

• Addresses an issue in which a File Share Witness does not remove Server Message Block (SMB) handles, which causes a server to eventually stop accepting SMB connections.

• Addresses an issue that prevents an application protocol URL from being opened when hosted on an intranet page.

• Addresses an issue with BranchCache when it is in distributed cache mode. BranchCache may use more disk space than assigned for the republication cache. To fully address the issue, devices that have exceeded the disk space assignments should empty BranchCache using the netsh branchcache flush command.

• Addresses an issue that may prevent some Direct3D applications and games from entering full-screen mode if the display’s orientation has been changed from the default.

• Addresses an issue with creating a Windows catalog file on an x64 system using Windows System Image Manager. For more information, see What's new in ADK kits and tools.

• Addresses an issue that causes a delay when loading many unsigned Domain Name System (DNS) zones related to the Domain Name System Security Extensions (DNSSEC) feature. This issue occurs after configuring the following registry setting:

Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DNS\Parameters

Setting: EnableFastLoadUnsignedZones

Type: DWORD Value: A value of 1 enables the feature. A value of 0 disables the feature.
Tested turned on Night Light and launched to played a game then exited to desktop and I was very pleased to see Night Light is finally worked properly in 18362.145. :)

Soldato
Associate
Windows 10 Build 1903 Changelog:

- Applied radial blur to login screen wallpaper when user is selected.

The above changes may require several restarts and take longer than a regular update.

Soldato
I've installed on 3 machines so far, all using forced upgrade.
After my desktop and NUC going flawlessly, and hearing no horror stories from others, I put it on my Xiaomi laptop a week later.
Aside from the traditional Windows Update rubbish (resetting regional/language/sync settings), it's been great.

I've had barely any issues with Windows 10 since it was released. I genuinely don't understand those that are still on Windows 7 by choice.

Back
Top Bottom