• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
Let's get a few things in perspective. Lisa only announced 3 SKU's this morning, the 3700x, 3800x and the 3900x. Obviously there will be more SKU's added as time moves on, there could be more SKU's added in a few weeks time.
As for prices, the 3800x is aimed to compete with the 9900K. A 9900K is priced at £500 from our hosts and the 3800x is priced at $399 (£314). Tell me what is so underwhelming ?

Well the 9900k part is $499 and we get it for £499

So the 3700x will be £399 not £314 for starters...

I think the 9900ks will come in at £449 and the 9900k will drop to £429 making the decision to go AMD for gamers harder...

HeX

HeX

Soldato
The pricing is the exact same pricing tiers they've used since first gen Ryzen...

1700 / 2700X / 3700X - $329
1700X / ---- / 3800X - $399
1800X / ---- / 3900X - $499

The only thing skewing the value is the ridiculously good deals currently going on for 2700 and 2600!

Also 7nm is an expensive process, I seriously doubt they are saving anything over the 14/12nm processes, but it was needed to push the clocks and power efficiencies required to get 8C on a single chiplet and over 8C in a single package.

I do however we'll see a price war again, much like what the 1800X started when it first came out and we'll see those price points shuffle down by the end of the year.

Man of Honour
ouch. 4k8kw10...what happened going from:

That's completely false. Any corporation holds a very deep social responsibility and the profit for the shareholders is not and should not be important, at all. These CPUs are not luxury articles, they are of first need for the modern world and information society that we live in.

to:

Poor release, that is.
I understand that AMD must control the demand because of very tight supply of chiplets from TSMC but this is just too much.

I see people are disappointed, too.
With a Ryzen 7 3800X, you get 150 MHz max clock increase and between 10 and 15% IPC increase, with the same quantity of cores and total performance increase over the Ryzen 7 2700X not more than 15-20%.

This is disgraceful from AMD.

I will wait for new 12C/24T SKUs and/or significantly lower prices than 500$.

People don't even want to speak about it, many are left speechless.

guess it's this...lol
Yeah. As much as I'd love amd to drop prices and gain mindshare...they are a business after all. Many people keep forgetting that. Especially the rabid amd fangirls...and then get disappointed and take their frustration out on the company that they supposedly "support".

Ooooo what surprise!?

Permabanned
The pricing is the exact same pricing tiers they've used since first gen Ryzen...

1700 / 2700X / 3700X - $329
1700X / ---- / 3800X - $399
1800X / ---- / 3900X - $499

The only thing skewing the value is the ridiculously good deals currently going on for 2700 and 2600!

Also 7nm is an expensive process, I seriously doubt they are saving anything over the 14/12nm processes, but it was needed to push the clocks and power efficiencies required to get 8C on a single chiplet and over 8C in a single package.

The 2700 is €214. Why should you consider a 3800X for almost double the price? :o

Caporegime
Because I do not have a motherboard to put the 3900X on? :D
Though my brother will be happy, as going to get for him a 12c for his birthday this summer.
It will go well with my old CH6.
Yeah but if you don't pre-order you'll be more at the mercy of supply and etailer gouging. I'll be pre-ordering and waiting for motherboards.

Soldato
Yeah AMD have shot themselves in the foot and let Intel off big time with high pricing.

The thing with high prices, you can always lower them. This is aimed at taking money from the ultra fans that must buy day one to be in the club. Just like new phone launches the price will be planned to steadily reduce taking money from each tier of customer at a time.

I don't like it but it makes sense and I don't have to buy day one. If no one did the price would drop, but that won't happen as a lot of those complaining will buy anyway #FOMO

Soldato
So shouldn't we wait and see how these CPUs perform before we all jump to conclusions?

Remember how we had the same argument about the 12C a few weeks ago - it was leaked 12C would be the top SKU at launch.

Another AMD launch were the self hype of people was their own worse enemy.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
The 2700 is €214. Why should you consider a 3800X for almost double the price? :o

Same reason people buy a 9900K over a 2700 right now, only this way you get 9900K performance for £100 less... I'm not saying it's right, or sensible, just that when comparing to a 9900K rather than a discounted previous gen it's not awful. Just not great either.

Associate
the price is too high for 3900x. amd used the zen 2 buzz to bump up the prices. it's business practice in the end but upgrade for me until price drops

Soldato
Yeah but if you don't pre-order you'll be more at the mercy of supply and etailer gouging. I'll be pre-ordering and waiting for motherboards.

Depends the 12c value on "pre-order".
But I would wait for this beauty. (the front motherboard).

https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/ASRock-X570-Motherboards.jpg

** Do not hotlink images **

the price is too high for 3900x. amd used the zen 2 buzz to bump up the prices. it's business practice in the end but upgrade for me until price drops

Hold a sec. Is a 12 core part. The alternative from Intel costs double that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Permabanned
Same reason people buy a 9900K over a 2700 right now, only this way you get 9900K performance for £100 less... I'm not saying it's right, or sensible, just that when comparing to a 9900K rather than a discounted previous gen it's not awful. Just not great either.

Man, I just realise that they actually lowered the core count for the same money. A six-core for staggering 200$. What are they smoking?

ahllaovudo031.png

Soldato
So shouldn't we wait and see how these CPUs perform before we all jump to conclusions?

I don't think it really matters. People wanted Intel beating 16 core CPUs for $300. I don't know why everyone rides the hype trains on AMD launches.

Navi will be the same, objectively good for the money but not what people have hyped themselves up for.

Permabanned
Exactly! I don't understand why people think that because it's AMD they have to give away their CPU's, but it's fine for Intel to charge double... :confused:

It's unfair comparison because this is the mainstream, intel don't have the offer for the mainstream yet. But screw intel anyways, forget about them.

Permabanned
And the 12 core will be £500+. LOLs.

Can't wait for the AMD defence force to now tell us how these prices are great.

PS5 is going to clean up. PC is just getting more expensive.

Thanks, AMD, Intel, nV.
The price is a bit sad but you can't say it's a surprise, Intel's 8 core is £500 so we get an additional 4 cores and 8 threads, For me as a gamer the IPC is the main factor, If it's IPC means it can match a 9900k it''s a win, an expensive one but a win.

Back
Top Bottom