Defrosted mince beef

Soldato
I bought 1kg of minced beef a week or so ago and stuck it in the freezer. I stupidly didn't do what I normally do which is to separate into 2 x 500g blocks before freezing. I want 500g to make a lasagne tonight. I took it out of the freezer today and couldn't it break it in two, I even used a hacksaw :p So I had to defrost the whole lot in the microwave. Now that it's defrosted, Does anyone know if it's safe to keep the other defrosted 500g in the fridge till say thursday or friday when I'll make a cottage pie?

Soldato
OP
Cook it then freeze it.

Ah, ok. So it's obviously safe to fry it and refreeze it then? What about when I come to make my cottage pie? I normally fry the mince, add all the other ingredients, then simmer, then bake. But if it's been pre-fried and defrosted, would I still throw it in the frying pan again or cook all the other ingredients and then mix in the beef at the end before pouring into my baking dish?

Associate
Put the frozen mince in a frying pan and swirl it round until it defrosts then do as you would normally with your other ingredients.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok, but, and sorry to labour the point, since it will already have been pre fried, I don't want to burn it or over cook it, wouldn't it be better to put it in the pan towards the end while it's simmering on low heat as opposed to refrying it at the very start with the onions and garlic on higher heat?

Associate
You could cook all the mince with onions and garlic then separate it for lasagne,freeze the other half then frying pan on low heat to defrost.

Let it cool first then freeze.

Associate
Ok. Is it best to wrap it and freeze it straight from frying before it's cooled down or should I let it cool a little first?

Let it cool to room temperature, then put in a container/freezer bag and shove it in the freezer.
As someone has said, cook it all as basic ragu now so you can seperate half and use at a later time.

When you want to use it again, just defrost it as normal, warm it through and put it in whatever you want. As long as you’re confident it’s piping hot when you come to eat it, you’re golden.

Soldato
I always wonder whether it's better to never freeze raw mince and just cook it and then freeze it.

It might lose a bit of taste/texture after being cooked again from frozen though.

Associate
I really don't like defrosting meat in the micro, or anything for that matter. I normally just put it in the sink full of hot water and let it thaw that way.
I don't either, you can get some defrosting trays from the jungle for less than £20 that really speed but the process

Back
Top Bottom