Macbook Air + Win 10 1903 (WDF_Violation)

Permabanned
Is anyone using Windows 10 on their Mac? Could you let me know your model please and did you install it via bootcamp?

The reason I am asking is I am searching for a file called MacHalDriver.sys from c:\windows\system32 but need a later version.

When installing 1903 on my Macbook Air 2011 13" model I get a WDF_Violation BSOD. One way to fix this is to replace this sys with a version from a later model.

I am booted into my mac now on 1903 with windows 10, however I have had to disable this driver until I find a later version.

Could you please upload your driver from above location please? Just this one file will be great but has to be from a Windows 10 install.

If anyone wants the .sys file here it is! I have tested and now all functions of my keyboard is now working and no more BSODS!

- ( MacHALDriver.sys )

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
I registered just to comment on this great tip.
Upgraded my mid 2010 (or was it 2011?) MacBook Pro from 1809 to 1903, and as many others it BSODed after entering credentials with WDF_Violation.

mrbell1984s post triggered my attention. I booted up in safe mode, started regedit and searched for the driver entry for MacHALDriver.sys --> HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MacHALDriver
Changed "Start" from 2 to 4 to disable loading of driver.
After reboot, no more BSOD, but backlight of keyboard + F-keys didn't work.

Renamed c:\Windows\System32\MacHALDriver.sys and replaced it with the one provided from mrbell1984.
Changed registry Start from 4 to 2 and new reboot.

Voila. Problem solved, backlight works and all F-keys + other useful Bootcamp stuff is running.
Big thanks for this driver and pointing in the right direction :)

Associate
The newest version of Bootcamp that Brigadier offers for my machine (mid-2010 iMac) has the same version of MacHALDriver.sys from 5.1 that causes the crash on login. It looks like I'm going to have to force a newer iMac model in order to get Bootcamp 6+. The MacHALDriver.sys posted here didn't allow me to adjust the screen's brightness through the keyboard.

Last edited:
Associate
Hello
I have imac 27 inch 2011 and running on that both Mac OS and Windows 10 1809 and last week in windows update automatically appeared next Windows Update 1903.
I have updated successfully and as soon as desktop ready bluescreen appeared suddenly with error message WDF_VIOLATION. It is really frustrating i had thought to save me myself from
this error when quit Windows Insider Program but it seems that could not.

At this point please help me. Because i do not wanna clean install unless it is necessary.

Thanks a lot.

Associate
Boot into safe mode and rename c:\windows\system32\drivers\MacHALDriver.sys to something else (e.g., MacHALDriver.bak). Reboot and you'll be back in business.

If you care about adjusting screen brightness from an Apple keyboard, look into some of the things mentioned above. That's the only thing renaming the file affected on my iMac. I fixed it, but probably shouldn't have bothered since I don't even use an Apple keyboard.

Associate
After installed 1903 i will boot into safe mood and rename c:\windows\system32\drivers\MacHALDriver.sys something else (e.g., MacHALDriver.bak).
And Windows 10 1903 will work fine ? Just problem in control of brightness on keyboard ? If we install the latest Bootcamp we will have solved it too ?

Associate
Hi, so i've updated my Macbook Air 2011 13" to 1903 with mrbell1984's .sys file however my F1 and F2 keys no longer allow me to control the brightness and the keyboard backlit no longer works.
I got confused after reading all the posts because i'm under the impression that some of you have managed to fix these issues? or have i misunderstood?

If there's a fix, could someone please tell me what it is?

Associate
OK so i have just noticed that i do not have a MacHALDriver entry in Registry. I think it may have been removed after i put MacHALDriver.sys file into system32/drivers

Associate
You don't need to do anything with the registry at all. 4 easy steps.

1) Go to c:\windows\system32
2) Rename MacHALDriver.sys to MacHALDriver.bak
3) Copy over the file from the first post here to c:\windows\system32
4) Reboot.

thank you mrbell1984, However, even when i follow your steps, i still end up with the same issues.
I even tried renaming my old MacHALDriver back to see if that changed anything but it didn't. That's why i turned to registry to see if i could maybe do something there but i found that i don't even have a registry for MacHALDRiver and i think that is maybe why it makes no difference which file i use.

thoughts?

Permabanned
OP
thank you mrbell1984, However, even when i follow your steps, i still end up with the same issues.
I even tried renaming my old MacHALDriver back to see if that changed anything but it didn't. That's why i turned to registry to see if i could maybe do something there but i found that i don't even have a registry for MacHALDRiver and i think that is maybe why it makes no difference which file i use.

thoughts?

It's a MacBook air right? What model?

Associate
Then what I said should have worked. With no problems.
Yes it should have. However, it does not.

I was thinking of maybe creating a whole new registry for MacHALDriver. I would need every single key used for it from someone with the exact same configuration MacBook.
I don't know if it's such a good idea though.

You did mention an article where they wrote that Apple will be addressing this issue officially sometime this summer. So was thinking of maybe just waiting until then.

Associate
Great News! i have sorted the issues and here's how:

I first followed this article on Apple's Website - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204923

Because i already had a Flash Drive Formatted to FAT i just had to follow these steps from the article:

Download the Windows support software
  1. Make sure that your Mac is connected to the Internet.
  2. Open Boot Camp Assistant, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
  3. From the menu bar at the top of your screen, choose Action > Download Windows Support Software, then choose your USB flash drive as the save destination. When the download completes, quit Boot Camp Assistant.
Install the Windows support software
After downloading the Windows support software to your flash drive, follow these steps to install the software. (If you're attempting to resolve issues with a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard, it might be easier to use a USB mouse or keyboard until these steps are complete.)

1. Make sure that the USB flash drive is plugged into your Mac.
  2. Start up your Mac in Windows.
  3. From File Explorer, open the USB flash drive, then open Setup or setup.exe, which is in the WindowsSupport folder or BootCamp folder. When you're asked to allow Boot Camp to make changes to your device, click Yes.
  4. Click Repair to begin installation. If you get an alert that the software hasn't passed Windows Logo testing, click Continue Anyway.
  5. After installation completes, click Finish, then click Yes when you're asked to restart your Mac.
Right.
So after following all that, the first thing i got when i finally booted back into Windows was a BSOD. Which oddly enough meant i was on the right track.

I then rebooted into Safe Mode where i renamed my MacHALDriver.sys to MacHALDriver.bak in C:\Windows\System32\drivers and copied over mrbells1984's MacHALDriver.sys in it's place.

Finally Rebooted and volia.

It works!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom