When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Your scenario is set out like a GCSE maths question where there are so many holes in the scenario to make the answer possible, rather than the answer accurate. Again, do some research and stop trying to bring on a doomsday scenario that will literally never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever happen. (I asked my 9 year old how many ever's should be put in there since that about where we are at). Enjoy your day. :)

ok, so you don't like my maths because i didn't bother writing a 10 page document with harvard referencing for an internet argument.

think you can do better? rather than "i in my specific circumstance don't fit this generalised picture", go ahead, i'll accept vancouver referencing if you preferr that, doesn't matter to me.

Soldato
ok, so you don't like my maths because i didn't bother writing a 10 page document with harvard referencing for an internet argument.

think you can do better? rather than "i in my specific circumstance don't fit this generalised picture", go ahead, i'll accept vancouver referencing if you preferr that, doesn't matter to me.

You failed at the point when you suggest 19 million cars would all be taking charge from the "grid" at the same time, it is that simple, there is no need to dig a deeper hole for your absolutely terrible assumption.

Soldato
You failed at the point when you suggest 19 million cars would all be taking charge from the "grid" at the same time, it is that simple, there is no need to dig a deeper hole for your absolutely terrible assumption.

funny how humans are creatures of habit, ever heard of tv pickup? because that's how it'll go down.

head home, park up, plug the car in, head in, pop on the kettle and make some dinner, watch some tv, have a shower, head to bed, plug your phone in for the night rinse and repeat.

if you think planning for a worst case scenario based on known habits and previous similarities is a stupid idea then as i said you're welcome to demonstrate how you think it'll actually plan out, with numbers.

funny how humans are creatures of habit, ever heard of tv pickup? because that's how it'll go down.

head home, park up, plug the car in, head in, pop on the kettle and make some dinner, watch some tv, have a shower, head to bed, plug your phone in for the night rinse and repeat.

if you think planning for a worst case scenario based on known habits and previous similarities is a stupid idea then as i said you're welcome to demonstrate how you think it'll actually plan out, with numbers.

Which would be fine if they were not already planning for this eventuality BY ROLLING OUT A SMART NETWORK!!!111!eleven

The biggest risk is that by the time the critical mass of electric cars is reached we do not have enough roll out of the smart meters. Its pretty unlikely.

Soldato
I don't intend to take part in your postulation, failing to comprehend that there will never be 19 million cars all taking energy from the "grid" at the same time say enough about your knowledge of the subject at hand.

Translation: you'd rather hurl insults than put the effort in to construct an actual counter argument.

So why should i take you seriously? It's like arguing with a flat earther.....

Soldato
It's like arguing with a flat earther.....

Indeed you do sound a lot like one.

You cannot accept that your assumption is so far away from ever occurring, you need someone else to assume something else to deflect from yours.

You are assuming that the grid will never change, you are assuming that the energy production will never change, you are assuming that people will always plug in their car every day, you are assuming that it will be within the same 12 hour window, you are assuming that therefore no one will ever charge during the day at work or elsewhere, and assuming that no one will ever forget to plug in the car, or be on holiday, or away from home. etc...

I'll repeat until it sinks in your assumption is idiotic. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Indeed you do sound a lot like one.

You cannot accept that your assumption is so far away from ever occurring, you need someone else to assume something else to deflect from yours.

You are assuming that the grid will never change, you are assuming that the energy production will never change, you are assuming that people will always plug in their car every day, you are assuming that it will be within the same 12 hour window, you are assuming that therefore no one will ever charge during the day at work or elsewhere, and assuming that no one will ever forget to plug in the car, or be on holiday, or away from home. etc...

I'll repeat until it sinks in your assumption is idiotic. :rolleyes:

More insults, still no counter argument.

I'll repeat- dont like my numbers then bring some of your own. I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job without making any assumptions at all.

Soldato
More insults, still no counter argument.

FYI, calling an assumption idiotic is not an insult is it? A very stupid assumption, no?

Why do I need to bring numbers to an argument that has literally thousands of variables that I could not being to comprehend without a think tank of people? Bearing in mind here that the national grid themselves have stated BEV uptake will not be an issue, even if pace accelerated significantly.

Soldato
FYI, calling an assumption idiotic is not an insult is it? A very stupid assumption, no?

Why do I need to bring numbers to an argument that has literally thousands of variables that I could not being to comprehend without a think tank of people? Bearing in mind here that the national grid themselves have stated BEV uptake will not be an issue, even if pace accelerated significantly.

Do you realise how stupid you look typing that?

which lets be fair is an idiotic thing to say

stupid, and unrealistic

set out like a GCSE maths question

never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever happen. (I asked my 9 year old how many ever's should be put in there since that about where we are at). Enjoy your day. :)

your assumption is idiotic. :rolleyes:

calling the opposition stupid whilst simultaneously not providing an actual counter argument to the points you object to.

if/when you want to bring some actual debate into this, provide alternatives to the assumptions you disagree with, or at the very least bring some actual names rather than the ever-present "them" "they" or as you put it "a think tank of people".

Soldato
calling the opposition stupid whilst simultaneously not providing an actual counter argument to the points you object to.

if/when you want to bring some actual debate into this, provide alternatives to the assumptions you disagree with, or at the very least bring some actual names rather than the ever-present "them" "they" or as you put it "a think tank of people".

The national Grid themselves... There you go a name for you.

https://www.nationalgrid.com/group/case-studies/electric-dreams-future-evs

Your assumption is still daft. ;)

Permabanned
Cost is the prohibitive factor for me.

Me and my mrs would quite happily get rid of our cars and replace it for a Ev, but unfortunately that would come at a substantial cost which cannot really be justified.

I wouldn’t buy one second hand due to unknown cost of replacement parts, such as motor, battery pack etc.

Permabanned
Battery is typically covered by very long warranty (100k miles, 8 years, something like that). There's a hell of a lot less to go wrong on one than a conventional petrol or diesel.

Which is fine if you are buying a brand new car or relatively new but not so much if your buying an older second hand car. Not everyone can or needs to buy a brand new car so if you like me and only want to spend less than £5k for example, Ev’s are still a bit of an unknown quantity and at that kind of budget what will you get for it and how much in potential repairs/replacement parts will it cost?

I’m not knocking Ev’s for the sake of knocking them. I would genuinely own one if it costs me the same as what I already have. That is totally unrealistic though as we are some way off that point in time.

Realistically the only way I’ll own one is if I lease one but the cost to lease will be half the cost of my mortgage per month. The cost to keep and run my existing vehicle will be considerably lower.

Soldato
Which is fine if you are buying a brand new car or relatively new but not so much if your buying an older second hand car. Not everyone can or needs to buy a brand new car so if you like me and only want to spend less than £5k for example, Ev’s are still a bit of an unknown quantity and at that kind of budget what will you get for it and how much in potential repairs/replacement parts will it cost?

I’m not knocking Ev’s for the sake of knocking them. I would genuinely own one if it costs me the same as what I already have. That is totally unrealistic though as we are some way off that point in time.

Realistically the only way I’ll own one is if I lease one but the cost to lease will be half the cost of my mortgage per month. The cost to keep and run my existing vehicle will be considerably lower.

My EV is second hand, doesn't worry me, the battery garuantee is with Nissan. It costs me £150 a month for 36 months, I was spending that on fuel alone. Used PCP on a 24kwh Leaf. 8k miles a year. Balloon payment of about £4k. It's been well worth it considering I traded in my 52 plate Renault Laguna for it!

Soldato
How will we charge our cars if we tomorrow all wake up with electric cars? We don't have the infrastructure, nor anyone takes proper actions in the direction to build electrical connections to every parking place.
Good point, we should look at other alternatives such as hydrogen as a way complementing combustion engine alternatives, once again Japan is leading the way in this regard. One of the benefits of hydrogen is it can co-exist with fuel stations so part of the infrastructure is already in place (in some cases they would be able to make the fuel on site).

It seems the biggest obstacle in the way of EV's is manufacturing capacity of the batteries, Volkswagen last year had to halt production of the Golf GTE (hybrid) so it could free up capacity for future EV models that are coming out latter this year.

Soldato
It seems the biggest obstacle in the way of EV's is manufacturing capacity of the batteries, Volkswagen last year had to halt production of the Golf GTE (hybrid) so it could free up capacity for future EV models that are coming out latter this year.

The same issues surround lots of emergent technologies that quickly become mass market, there will always be a bottleneck somewhere in a complex supply/demand system, until the development or manufacturing of the item(s)/material(s) can be brought up to speed.

At least now there is a push to develop better, cleaner, more efficient, and more recyclable batteries which doesn't just impact BEV's but everything that can use the technology. I do agree that 'we' should always be seeking alternatives to supplement or surpass the current technologies rather than stagnate for a century like we have done with ICE/Oil. :)

Back
Top Bottom