• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
basically you need £1500 to upgrade to ryzen 3000, no thx

Could you please tell us how you came to this conclusion?
3700X $329
A good board starts at around $179 (PRO4) or $220 the Gigabyte X570I VRM monstrosity.

And wrote monstrosity because it has better VRM than the top X370 and X470 boards, enough to keep up the 16core and probably OC it also.

B550 board will come out later this year also.

Don't pull numbers out of your head.
Sure if you want to buy the 3900X and put it on the X570 Aqua, it will be $1500.

Soldato
No idea why people think all the boards are going to cost a small fortune, ASRock seem to have one of the best product lineups for price range going from ~£139-£950, then entry level board is the 'Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4' and is obviously no frills, but has PCI-E 4.0 if you need it.

Soldato
No idea why people think all the boards are going to cost a small fortune, ASRock seem to have one of the best product lineups for price range going from ~£139-£950, then entry level board is the 'Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4' and is obviously no frills, but has PCI-E 4.0 if you need it.
I guess it's because people have said X570 (PCIe 4.0) requires higher quality boards so they're going to cost more, although I'm not sure why 90% of people would want PCIe 4.0.

Personally speaking there's a lot of things higher up on my list of requirements than PCIe 4.0, perhaps rather controversially I'd put the X570 chipset on the con side of my pro/con list, it's AMD's first attempt at a chipset in a while after all and there's no knowing how good the driver support for it is going to be, ASMedia maybe a bit janky overall but at least they've had two chipset to sort out any teething issues, i hope.

Soldato
I guess it's because people have said X570 (PCIe 4.0) requires higher quality boards so they're going to cost more, although I'm not sure why 90% of people would want PCIe 4.0.

Personally speaking there's a lot of things higher up on my list of requirements than PCIe 4.0, perhaps rather controversially I'd put the X570 chipset on the con side of my pro/con list, it's AMD's first attempt at a chipset in a while after all and there's no knowing how good the driver support for it is going to be, ASMedia maybe a bit janky overall but at least they've had two chipset to sort out any teething issues, i hope.

I've not really had any issues with the TR4/X399 chipset based boards and they are an all AMD design, well I say none that was involving the chipset, I've had plenty of headaches with BIOS issues as the platform matured.

As for the PCI-E 4.0 comment, I think it revolves around those people who buy and forget, knowing that in 5 years time they'll be able to put in a graphics card and it should perform like it is meant to. You only need to look at the number of people coming from 2500K/3770K etc. to see how long some people keep systems, and the main things that change the most are RAM/Disk subsystem/GPU, so if the board can do all they need, and the CPU is good enough then it is peace of mind in some repsects. :)

Soldato
I've not really had any issues with the TR4/X399 chipset based boards and they are an all AMD design, well I say none that was involving the chipset, I've had plenty of headaches with BIOS issues as the platform matured.

As for the PCI-E 4.0 comment, I think it revolves around those people who buy and forget, knowing that in 5 years time they'll be able to put in a graphics card and it should perform like it is meant to. You only need to look at the number of people coming from 2500K/3770K etc. to see how long some people keep systems, and the main things that change the most are RAM/Disk subsystem/GPU, so if the board can do all they need, and the CPU is good enough then it is peace of mind in some repsects. :)

My thoughts exactly

There are plenty of 2500 and 3770 owners who haven’t upgraded in a millennium and they are looking at ryzen 3000 for the upgrade to last the next millennium and pcie 4 helps with that futureproof

Soldato
Valid points - and is why i'm resisting all the 2xxx/b450/x470 bargains (but makes fiscal sense if on a budget) - plus i wanna play :)

... but I may buy 2600X plus core components for my son if they drop anymore. I was going to wait for the influx of second hand hardware after the 7th but ~£300 will get him a healthy upgrade (with warranty) from my 'hand me down' ivybridge.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Jesus. Past few pages made for some strange reading. I.e. nothing of note just ridiculous claims and bickering.

Let's hope today is a better day!

people trying to justify not buying it due to very strange reasons they have made up no doubt.

anyways on that 16 core chip i still think we'l see it next week at E3 on a streaming demo or some such.

Associate
I mean, I am sure you could spend £1500 if you want to but I can see an 8 core with a good board and 16GB of 3200Mhz RAM being about £700?

Depends where you are coming from. For those of us on older systems, factor in an NVMe SSD and DDR4 ram. Add a decent aftermarket CPU cooler on top of that too. So I'm facing more like £1k, which is getting kinda pricey. And it's not like there are any decent new games to take advantage of all this upgrading... (enter fanboys who claim they spend all day "encoding, etc." so "need the extra cores"..)

Soldato
Depends where you are coming from. For those of us on older systems, factor in an NVMe SSD and DDR4 ram. Add a decent aftermarket CPU cooler on top of that too. So I'm facing more like £1k, which is getting kinda pricey. And it's not like there are any decent new games to take advantage of all this upgrading... (enter fanboys who claim they spend all day "encoding, etc." so "need the extra cores"..)

I upgraded from an older system,last year and my 2600,high end mini-ITX board,3200MHZ Samsung B-die RAM,and a WD Black NVME SSD,came to £500ish and that was when RAM and SSDs were much more expensive. Its only expensive if you want to buy top end,and for a gamer,a 3600/3600X will be fine,and a 3700X more than enough if you want some extra processing power. Also everyone is acting like you have to have an X570 board?? Why not a cheaper B450 or X470,and its quite possible the B550 might support PCI-E 4.0,to a lesser degree.

Back
Top Bottom