• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
It’s a bit more than that for older intel systems. Reusing as much as I am able I’ll want/need:

CPU
Mobo
RAM
M.2 boot drive
PSU (seems sensible with this level of upgrade)

Case, GPU, SATA and optical drives I can reuse on the cheap.

You will need to add Ram for pre KabyLake / Haswell-E.

Some of it, maybe. But beyond that everything else is surplus to requirement.

If you have a 95 Watt 4770K a 65 or 95 Watt 6 to 8 core will run just as well on the same PSU.
M.2 drive is an upgrade purely based on choice, as is GPU, Case....

I'm getting a 500GB NVMe drive with mine, but i could get that now, and i don't need it for the Ryzen 3000 system, i'll be using the existing Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case, EVGA Supernova 650 GS PSU and MSI Quicksilver 1070 GPU. And 2X 8GB LPX RAM, My NZXT Kraken X31 is 4 years old now but i've looked after it, its clean and working as new, i see no reason to get a new one, its more than capable. You probably will need a new CPU cooler as its a different socket, unless, as NZXT did with mine your vendor will sell you an AM4 bracket for a few £, worth looking into..
I might get a couple 140mm RGB fans, cuz RGB, a couple LED strips, cuz pretty lights for my full side window.

Associate
I find it utterly weird people are needing high end boards if you are going for the 6 or 8 core CPUs. The TDPs are not higher and they are 7NM CPUs,so power consumption shouldn't be a problem. I would expect an overclocked Ryzen 7 3700X should consume less power than an overclocked Core i9 9900K.

For instance your ASRock was fine with a Ryzen 5 1600 overclocked and I would expect a £100 board should be fine with a Ryzen 5 3600.

I will be waiting to see how memory is handled on the new chips. This is one of the biggest things I am waiting to find out and is more important than what VRMs will handle what chips at this point. Once this info is known then I can make a decision.

I will also need to go through the process of borrowing a chip from AMD so that I can upgrade the BIOS on my x370.

OcUK Staff
Probably because they are G Skill and RGB

We contract 8 Pack RAM with TeamGroup and have a specification that must be met, so only SCREENED Samsung B-Die, so best binned IC.
We also buy in huge volumes so our cost is way below the same counterparts from G.Skill. :)

Associate
We contract 8 Pack RAM with TeamGroup and have a specification that must be met, so only SCREENED Samsung B-Die, so best binned IC.
We also buy in huge volumes so our cost is way below the same counterparts from G.Skill. :)
Missing from the 8 Pack line up is some 32gb (2 x 16gb) 3200 C14 (B-die) sticks, at the moment there is only the G.Skill F4-3200C14D-32GTZR to choose from.

Associate
You don't NEED an NVMe SSD and honestly a good normal SSD would work fine. The cooler will work fine too unless you plan on overclocking.

Plus if you are talking from scratch a whole PC will cost the same or more from Intel so I still fail to see the issue.

Yeah, tempted to stick with my Samsung Pro SSD.

Need the updated cooler as the Wraith (comes with the 3700X) is not good enough for my silent build. I earn my living on my PC, and prefer it as quiet as possible during the day.

Sure Intel would cost the same, but that doesn't change the issue: it's a lot of money to spend for maybe something that will settle downwards in price after a few months, and cheaper B550 mobos should hopefully help that; most X570 mobos just seem to be over-engineered and overpriced marketing gimmickry to me.

Soldato
2020/2021 for enterprise on PCI-e 5. we probably wont see it till around 2022... Doesn't seem worth the wait.
And when v4 already brought all these signal integrity issues/need for better motherboard design/contruction, need for retimers for longer traces, v5 likely needs even more.

Associate
the hype of ryzen 3000 is going to hit the pockets hard. amd could have priced their cpu's much lower but they went for £500 12c and when you add £500 for x570 motherboard and memory, overclockers inflated pricing it's not a joy ride.

Associate
So buy the AM4 mounting kit for your current cooler.

Also if you earn your money from your PC then does having a slower less capable system not effect you, or do you just work with word documents etc?

My cooler's so old there's no such animal as an AM4 kit! :)

Well, having a "slower" PC does affect me, but in these days of "incremental builds" (maven/gradle), it's the disk IO that's most important (and a SATA SSD takes care of most of that.)

CPU upgrade will mainly be for gaming; the old 3770k is not pushing the 1080ti hard enough. :)

Soldato
Missing from the 8 Pack line up is some 32gb (2 x 16gb) 3200 C14 (B-die) sticks, at the moment there is only the G.Skill F4-3200C14D-32GTZR to choose from.
16GB B-die DIMMs are dual rank, something not liked by memory controller of current Ryzens.
At least with first gen Ryzen achievable memory speed difference was notable.
https://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ryzen-single-rank-versus-dual-rank-ddr4-memory-performance_192960/5
Haven't seen similar for Ryzen 2xxx, but this hints toward that:
https://www.hardwareluxx.ru/index.p...ryzen-7-2700x-ryzen-5-2600x-test.html?start=1

Soldato
My cooler's so old there's no such animal as an AM4 kit! :)

Well, having a "slower" PC does affect me, but in these days of "incremental builds" (maven/gradle), it's the disk IO that's most important (and a SATA SSD takes care of most of that.)

CPU upgrade will mainly be for gaming; the old 3770k is not pushing the 1080ti hard enough. :)

Shame if you had a Noctua cooler pretty much all of them have a kit available.

Also people are over hyping the prices they won't be as high as everyone is banging on about. :)

Associate
Shame if you had a Noctua cooler pretty much all of them have a kit available.

Also people are over hyping the prices they won't be as high as everyone is banging on about. :)

Yeah, ripped all my case fans out and replaced them with Noctua's. Great stuff. Will definitely be grabbing one of their coolers for a Ryzen build, once prices have settled.

Soldato
I know when i finally bite the bullet its going to cost me a fair penny as ill be doing the trinity of cpu, mobo and ram and im looking for maybe 2-3 years before any major further upgrades for those parts.

Left it waaaay to long on my current platform so now im paying the price a bit as there is no resale value

Back
Top Bottom