BMW demand full payment of modified M4 on finance

Soldato
He has gone a bit mad, huge mod list. Makes me wonder how he can afford those mods but not a loan / cash purchase.

Bit worrying though, might be the start of a general crackdown on mods. I think a LOT of people on PCP still get Remaps / Tuning boxes but just don't mention it / remove them at handback.

Caporegime
What a chump. :rolleyes:

As much as I love BMWs I can't bring myself to watch his videos.

Me neither. He annoys me as a person. He also seems really clueless about cars in general for someone who claims to be an enthusiast. The amount of stupid questions he asks on his car review videos...

Soldato
Me neither. He annoys me as a person. He also seems really clueless about cars in general for someone who claims to be an enthusiast. The amount of stupid questions he asks on his car review videos...

Not everyone is clued up about cars especially the audience he targets. That's why he has to be stupid with the questions so the general audience can understand.

Tbh there's so many tubers I can name who are clueless.

I have a feeling the car will be 'raffled' off.

Soldato
I read an article recently which stated that the majority of new car sales are now on PCP.....yet, I bet of those, the vast majority think it's their own car.

Soldato

That's a perfect description of most of those youtube style videos, not just the car ones. :)

Soldato
It'll never get approved used status either and bmw cant' put a value on it.

If BMW can't put a value on it, then it'll be an expensive settlement bill for him. Essentially it's you break it, you buy it.

Problem is. He will do a gofundme. And people will donate. Because stupid

Unfortunately there are lots of stupid people on this planet. All he needs is 12k followers to donate a fiver each and he'll be covered.

Soldato
We assume his car insurance was correctly covering all of these modifications ... otherwise, with the publicity, presumably, they would have voided it, by now.

Associate
I watched one of his videos to confirm my suspicions, and he is a much of a cretin as I thought he would be.
The guy probably didn't make the best choice by modifying a financed car, but to call him a cretin after watching one video is a bit harsh. I personally think that the videos he puts out in terms of quality and content is extremely good.

Associate
OK so obviously you don't own the car on PCP until the balloon payment is made, but what would the view in law be if you were to buy say a £20K car with £10K of your own cash and £10K worth of personal bank loan?
Presumably you would be the owner of the vehicle because the car dealer would have been paid off in full and the bank loan wouldn't have to be secured against the car?

Caporegime
OK so obviously you don't own the car on PCP until the balloon payment is made, but what would the view in law be if you were to buy say a £20K car with £10K of your own cash and £10K worth of personal bank loan?
Presumably you would be the owner of the vehicle because the car dealer would have been paid off in full and the bank loan wouldn't have to be secured against the car?

Of course.

Associate
yup, HP or bank loan it's your's from day 1 and thus can go wild with mods (subject to insurance). Your contract is with the bank and the dealer/manufacturer has had their cash in entirety. PCP is different, as the "loan"/contract is effectively only paying off the depreciation of the car over the term, and to actually buy the car at the end requires the balloon payment (which usually is similar to the used car price for that age/mileage - so you're effectively buying a used car, just with a known history).

I know some people argue they "always intended" to buy the car at the end of the term, so why can't they mod?!? But, until the finance agreement has been settled you're effectively renting it. With PCP the person's name is often on the V5, which i think confuses them into thinking they own the car - but if the car is say £40k and there's only £20k in payments through the pcp scheme then how the flip* do they believe they own the car outright is beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom