Has anyone attempted to become rich?

Soldato
I didn't make it up. It was in the news recently. If I wasn't going out now I'd spend some time finding the source.

Will do later.

It was some kind of league table for inequality and we ranked 2nd below the US.

It may have been the rate of increase of inequality or inequality itself. Sadly I don't record everything I see on TV so can't immediately recall where it was seen.

But 100% I remember seeing it.

If something you remember but could be two entirely different things was on tv, it must be true.

Inequality driving 'deaths of despair'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-48229037

Might be that one, been quite a few stories recently (well last few years really) about the growing inequality in wealth and the social disillusionment it causes.

This was another recent story about western countries and how a prosperous middle class has historically kept our democracies stable - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-47853444

As for wanting to become rich I think most people just want a middle ground, enough money to not have to worry about bills, be able to treat yourself and your family and survive retirement in comfort. To achieve that though you do need to be pretty wealthy and beyond most peoples earnings, sadly its also becoming increasingly difficult to even get started let alone worry about retirement.

No interest in the super rich though, being able to have anything you desire must take the joy out of a lot of things in life and you'd never be able to trust someone or feel that like / love you rather than your money. I think it could be a pretty lonely life tbh and not surprised that wealth can lead to drug / alcohol abuse, seems too much and too little can be equally destructive.

Man of Honour
The rich/poor divide in this country is worse than any other barring the US (the country we always aspire to emulate..)

Might be that one, been quite a few stories recently (well last few years really) about the growing inequality in wealth and the social disillusionment it causes.

This was another recent story about western countries and how a prosperous middle class has historically kept our democracies stable - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-47853444

Second only to the US in a list of just 10 wealthy countries that excludes countries with really desperate income disparity.

Caporegime
How depressing. I want to earn money to enjoy my life and live the best life I can. Not to let my kids squirrel it away. Eugh!

it depends a lot on the family environment you come from.

those that are less close to their family and have family that have done little for them tend to think like you.

those that are close to their family. and by that i mean they treat their first cousins like siblings and aunts and uncles like their parent, etc. see their grandparents daily, etc. who also in turn help them out a lot more are more family orientated and want the best for their kids.

e.g. i bet you would never put your kids (if you have or ever have any) through private school even if you had £200K sitting spare. whereas others would see it as the best form of investment for their future and the best opportunity to give them rather than die and leave them £200K cash / assets.

Soldato
I genuinely don't know how people get rich these days, property seems almost impossible with the prices and tax laws.

Everything seems to be done, the only way to make money is to be famous/social media star

Gone are the days of making your money discreetly, you have to be all me me me, in the public eye

Man of Honour
I genuinely don't know how people get rich these days, property seems almost impossible with the prices and tax laws.

Everything seems to be done, the only way to make money is to be famous/social media star

Gone are the days of making your money discreetly, you have to be all me me me, in the public eye

A lot of it is right place, right time, see a gap in the market and have the skills or know the people, etc. to exploit it.

As for wanting to become rich I think most people just want a middle ground, enough money to not have to worry about bills, be able to treat yourself and your family and survive retirement in comfort. To achieve that though you do need to be pretty wealthy and beyond most peoples earnings, sadly its also becoming increasingly difficult to even get started let alone worry about retirement.

That is pretty much my mentality - not having to worry about bills, have a bit of disposable income for reasonable luxuries, etc. and not have to worry in retirement. I'm glad I'm not the kind of person who is never happy unless they are giving the impression they are doing "better than the Joneses" not just happy to drive a nice car but have to have the nicest car, etc. as that is a pretty miserable existence where you can never have enough money.

Last edited:
Soldato
it depends a lot on the family environment you come from.

those that are less close to their family and have family that have done little for them tend to think like you.

those that are close to their family. and by that i mean they treat their first cousins like siblings and aunts and uncles like their parent, etc. see their grandparents daily, etc. who also in turn help them out a lot more are more family orientated and want the best for their kids.

e.g. i bet you would never put your kids (if you have or ever have any) through private school even if you had £200K sitting spare. whereas others would see it as the best form of investment for their future and the best opportunity to give them rather than die and leave them £200K cash / assets.

I don't have kids, and don't want kids. But yes, you're right - I wasn't very close to my extended family through lots of reasons. Geography was one of the major ones. I accept your point that if you grew up among a big family, then you would replicate that when you're older. However, neither is right or wrong. I was expressing my view that the poster I quoted has a depressing (to me) approach. Earn to enjoy your life, not to ensure someone else has the life you should be having I say!

The private school thing is all relative. I live in Springburn, of course I would put my kids through private school if I had the means! I spent some years in private school, though the majority of my secondary education was at a very good state school (better than the local private). Part of the reason I live where I do is that I'm not that fussed about having a lovely big house, in a nice area. I'd rather live in my flat, with the bills being next to nothing, having a 25 minute walk to Merchant City and being able to enjoy my money.

Caporegime
Second only to the US in a list of just 10 wealthy countries that excludes countries with really desperate income disparity.
I couldn't find any metric to corroborate what I (thought I) heard on the news the other day.

Again I didn't make it up - it was a news story that I watched - but I can't find any data/metrics to substantiate it via Google. So whatever metric they were using/reporting on it wasn't the Gini coefficient or other popular inequality measures.

It could have been rate of increase of earnings vs income percentile - I only found US data which suggests the top 1% of US earners are seeing the highest % increase in earnings. Which means the US is getting more unequal.

It could be that we are also having the same disproportionate earnings increase at the top end - I couldn't find any data for the UK.

Permabanned
heres a bit more .. I wasted time as a youth but always put my kids first they had more than they needed but less than they wanted ..
they struggled in school bullying and such .. but now they earn more than me and the wife together ..
for that I'm happy and there doing well there the only best thing I did ..
and they know it ..

Soldato
I couldn't find any metric to corroborate what I (thought I) heard on the news the other day.

Again I didn't make it up - it was a news story that I watched - but I can't find any data/metrics to substantiate it via Google. So whatever metric they were using/reporting on it wasn't the Gini coefficient or other popular inequality measures.

It could have been rate of increase of earnings vs income percentile - I only found US data which suggests the top 1% of US earners are seeing the highest % increase in earnings. Which means the US is getting more unequal.

It could be that we are also having the same disproportionate earnings increase at the top end - I couldn't find any data for the UK.

You also might be wrong.

Caporegime
You also might be wrong.
Why don't you go ahead and accuse me of making the whole thing up.

You only have my statement that I heard it on the news, so of course I could be lying about that too!

Maybe I like to make things up and pretend that I heard them on the news, eh?

Seriously, I just said I couldn't find any evidence for the news item I regurgitated without fact checking. And you still want more... some confession of dishonesty... Well it's not going to happen.

If I'm guilty of anything it's just not fact checking something I heard on the news. That is all.

So sue me.

Soldato
Why don't you go ahead and accuse me of making the whole thing up.

You only have my statement that I heard it on the news, so of course I could be lying about that too!

Maybe I like to make things up and pretend that I heard them on the news, eh?

Seriously, I just said I couldn't find any evidence for the news item I regurgitated without fact checking. And you still want more... some confession of dishonesty... Well it's not going to happen.

If I'm guilty of anything it's just not fact checking something I heard on the news. That is all.

So sue me.

I'm pointing out one possible outcome. You put one position forward, and both you and others have been unable to evidence it, so I have suggested that your view might be incorrect.

If you're not able to deal with that truth, as your above post suggests, then perhaps you shouldn't make statements that you're unable to substantiate. There's nothing wrong with that - you said straight off that you didn't know the source and you weren't sure.

If you can't evidence what you've heard, then perhaps you didn't hear it on the news and instead you heard what you wanted to hear and then posted it on an internet forum. And then, honestly, argued about it.

That's all. Nobody's looking to sue you, but at least one person (several in this instance) are checking to see of what you said was accurate. And so far nobody has been able to evidence that.

Stand down the lawyers.

Soldato
Nope, that was an indicated price as others bought into the dream, but the price was no indication of liquidity - whether or not you could have actually sold the shares.
nope right back the shares were available to sell on my screen normal and level 2 .my problem now if it is a problem is that the reverse take over puts them on the tsx

Associate
The people I know who started their own businesses have done so because of their frustration at a service or good that they want being unavailable, or at least unavailable to the standard, specification or price that they are happy with.

I only know of two people who did so because of a new idea/product.
I created my business based on the above reason. There was limited availability and nothing was up to my standard which frustrated me. I have now set the standard :D.

Caporegime

No interest in the super rich though, being able to have anything you desire must take the joy out of a lot of things in life and you'd never be able to trust someone or feel that like / love you rather than your money. I think it could be a pretty lonely life tbh and not surprised that wealth can lead to drug / alcohol abuse, seems too much and too little can be equally destructive.

the problem is the things you desire become more and more expensive the more you earn.

for example - on the dole - 50" tv from asda for £300 is the life goal. earning minimum wage then a tv for £600 is the goal. earning average wage then tv for £1K is the goal. earning decent money then tv for £1500 is the goal. earning crazy money then tv for £10K is the goal.

so being comfortable gets harder and harder the more you earn.

Soldato
Yeah exactly.

Same with holidays. I'm off to Corfu for a week and it's gonna cost about £3000. To someone with less money they go to benidorm for £500, but to someone better off they go to the Maldives for £10k, or to the flash gits they go and hire a £300k yacht!

You spend to your means.

Back
Top Bottom