• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 3770K - Still worth it in terms of gaming?

Permabanned
Ended up getting a 3770k for £100, gotta say its well worth the money, a decent step up from my 3570k. Overclocked this relic to around 4.5ghz on water (My maximus 5 gene can't seem to get it stable at 4.6ghz). Slightly lower clocked than my 3570k but as someone has said, the 8T makes a difference!

good boost in games then? the extra threads work wonders

Associate
Yes i sold it on here actually for £38 inc delivery. Probs could have gotten more on ebay but after fees and what not it'll be about the same.
so the upgrade was less than 70 quid definitely worth it as these days you get a really nice boost in games going from 4 to 8 threads.

Associate
Definitely! Bought a 144hz monitor as well to go with the upgrade and its pretty much stutter free high fps gaming! Absolutely wonderful! I notice the biggest difference in GTAV.

freesync monitor hopefully...

edit: just realized that freesync is only available on nvidia 10 series and up...

Soldato
OP
so the upgrade was less than 70 quid definitely worth it as these days you get a really nice boost in games going from 4 to 8 threads.

Basically yeah! Had a few other cpu's lying around and sold those as well so it cost nothing to upgrade :p. Don't think i'll need to upgrade much for the next year or so at least.

freesync monitor hopefully...

edit: just realized that freesync is only available on nvidia 10 series and up...

Oh yes! Freesync! But unfortunately my 980ti isn't supported. Think when the 10 series cards drop abit more i'll get a 1080ti.

I got the MSI Optix MAG21C 24", really good VA monitor.

Soldato
OP
i am not 100% who but someone on youtube like say linus did a video, unlocking the drivers so older cards worked with freesync.
I'm gonna have a dig for this, sounds interesting and would be awesome to get it to work! Already have the monitor and display port ready just not the GPU.

Associate
Can't comment on the 3570k to 3770k, but I did consider it as a stop gap too. In the end I went from 3570k to a Ryzen 2700. I was fed up with the stutters and so on and felt a small upgrade for £100 wasn't great value vs a full system, especially when you factor in selling the old bits. Hazarding a guess, you could get a very decent Ryzen upgrade for a net £300 or so... (my net was ~350, but this was in January and I went for higher-mid 2700/Ram/Mobo).

It's night and day, everything is much slicker. I basically decided there was no point waiting for Ryzen 2 (this was in January) as I wanted to play games now, and pricing/availability etc would probably be crazy on launch. I'm very happy so far!

Associate
Added to that - my old 3570k had more than done its time - £350 upgrade after years and years of use is a bargain! What else gives you more enjoyment for your money :)
The Radeon 7 was however a splurge, as I was on a 980ti that couldn't push enough pixels. I love it though, works a dream on 3440 ultrawide!

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
Added to that - my old 3570k had more than done its time - £350 upgrade after years and years of use is a bargain! What else gives you more enjoyment for your money :)
The Radeon 7 was however a splurge, as I was on a 980ti that couldn't push enough pixels. I love it though, works a dream on 3440 ultrawide!

Ive heard mixed things about the radeon 7, but with driver improvements it seems a really good contender now against the 2080. Is it any better for you? Gonna skip this series and wait for next gen.

Associate
Ive heard mixed things about the radeon 7, but with driver improvements it seems a really good contender now against the 2080. Is it any better for you? Gonna skip this series and wait for next gen.

I came from a 980ti, and I acquired a ultrawide 1440p freesync screen which it simply couldn't push. the difference was huge on the ultrawide. I don't have a 2080 so can't comment directly, but it's been great particularly as I mostly play r7 strong games like bfv and division 2 right now. It's been working flawlessly and i haven't had to tweak a thing. At the time, it was also cheaper than 2080s unless you got a steal. Maybe not the case now though.

No idea if it's worth waiting out on, it's all too easy just to say wait. Waiting is fine... if you don't want to enjoy the here and now for the sake of a few quid! Next gen doesn't sound particularly revolutionary at this point, but who knows.

Soldato
OP
I came from a 980ti, and I acquired a ultrawide 1440p freesync screen which it simply couldn't push. the difference was huge on the ultrawide. I don't have a 2080 so can't comment directly, but it's been great particularly as I mostly play r7 strong games like bfv and division 2 right now. It's been working flawlessly and i haven't had to tweak a thing. At the time, it was also cheaper than 2080s unless you got a steal. Maybe not the case now though.

No idea if it's worth waiting out on, it's all too easy just to say wait. Waiting is fine... if you don't want to enjoy the here and now for the sake of a few quid! Next gen doesn't sound particularly revolutionary at this point, but who knows.
Im thinking whether to just buy another 980ti and SLI them for the time being. SLI seems pretty proficient these days compared to before back in the 580/680 days

Associate
The only downside of SLI would be consumption but, again, if you can get a decent priced one, can be worthy. Never used dual GPU systems myself, so can't comment how the whole experience works. A second had newer card could be a better bet.

Back
Top Bottom