Phanteks PH-F140MP for front intake?

Associate
I picked up a Phanteks Evolv ITX yesterday that is missing its intake fan.
Is the Phanteks PH-F140MP any good? The two pack is a decent price but I didn't find many reviews for them.

Soldato
The 120MPs are excellent - have two of them and used them on a Corsair H100i and now a GTX 1070, and they cool heatsinks/most rads well and are quiet. They aren't optimized as case fans but would do well as case fans in situations where there are some obstructions. Not sure about the 140MPs, you can often get larger variants that don't compare so well to the smaller ones.

To be honest the best 140mm case fan (if there is little obstruction) I've tried* is the Aerocool DS Edition. That thing pushes plenty of air and with nice tonality to the sound, not that you can hear it much. There was a difference in specs between the European and US versions, and the US versions didn't do that well in reviews. There are probably better ones but don't think you could go wrong with it in the Evolv ITX as front fan. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aerocool-ds-edition-fan-black-140mm-fg-044-ae.html#

* Not tried all that many, but have tried some Noctuas, Noiseblocker Eloop, Phanteks MP, BitFenix Spectres, BitFenix Spectre Pros and a few others, along with some stock fans that come with cases. And by best I mean subjectively - to my ears and to my hand when feeling the air behind it.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with Phanteks fans.
Understandably, not many sites want to cover fans and models get updated without a name change.

Soldato
Indeed, 2-pack of PH-F140MP are what I would use. I would mount them both in front and block off any holes on front panel they are mount on so none the air they are pushing into case can leak back in front of fans. I would also remove all PCie back slot covers to increase rear vent area and thus improve airflow from front to back around GPU.

Associate
OP
Indeed, 2-pack of PH-F140MP are what I would use. I would mount them both in front and block off any holes on front panel they are mount on so none the air they are pushing into case can leak back in front of fans. I would also remove all PCie back slot covers to increase rear vent area and thus improve airflow from front to back around GPU.
It's an mITX case so no need to cover rear slots. I never thought about covering up the front, that's a good suggestion.

Soldato
It's an mITX case so no need to cover rear slots. I never thought about covering up the front, that's a good suggestion.
Not cover PCIe slots, remove the slot cover so there is more rear vent area to let air flow from front over PCIe area of motherboard and out the back.
Only cover openings not covered by front intake fans. ;) That way all the air they are pushing into case has to flow back / up and out of case. But for best cooling we want all the front intake air flowning back with approx half to CPU cooler and half to GPU cooler, then on back and out of case. Opening the PCIe case back slots gives us about as much addional rear vent as a front intake fan needs.

Associate
OP
Not cover PCIe slots, remove the slot cover so there is more rear vent area to let air flow from front over PCIe area of motherboard and out the back.
Only cover openings not covered by front intake fans. ;) That way all the air they are pushing into case has to flow back / up and out of case. But for best cooling we want all the front intake air flowning back with approx half to CPU cooler and half to GPU cooler, then on back and out of case. Opening the PCIe case back slots gives us about as much addional rear vent as a front intake fan needs.
That makes sense, thanks for explaining. :)

Back
Top Bottom