Remote desktop manager for Mac

Associate
Hi all,

Are there any good remote desktop managers for the Mac? I currently use mRemoteNG on Windows which works brilliantly.

I mostly use RDP and SSH.

Thanks

Associate
OP
Does that do SSH?

Basically I'm after an app that will allow me to save, group and manage multiple connections.

Man of Honour
I haven't found anything as good as MobaXterm on Windows. It's a real shame they don't do a Mac version.

Currently using iTerm.

Last edited:
Commissario
Don’t use TeamViewer, I had it set up for a couple of remote locations but they decided I was a commercial user and put a five minute timeout on my connections. I’m not a commercial and that five minute timeout was nearer thirty seconds.

Now I use VNC. Free for up to five computers and it’s working very well here. There is software for PC, Mac and Linux. I’m using it on my iMac to connect to three machines, one running Windows 10 and the other two are Raspberry Pis.

Soldato
I use the ssh config file to group my connections. The main ~/.ssh/config file just has links to my grouped ssh config files e.g.

Code:
Include ~/.ssh/personal
Include ~/.ssh/client_name/group_name/config

I have organised by client and sub-group with clients. This lets me keep all the keys and config on a per project/group basis, for example the ~/.ssh/client_name/group_name/config:

Code:
IdentitiesOnly yes
GSSAPIAuthentication no
UseKeychain yes
ServerAliveInterval 60

Host prodweb1
  Hostname web1.client.com
  User example
  IdentityFile ~/.ssh/client/group/id_ed25519_prod

Host prodapp1
  Hostname app1.client.com
  User example
  IdentityFile ~/.ssh/client/group/id_ed25519_prod

It took a bit of time for the initial setup but it's worth it.

Commissario
I do something similar but @dazz25 did specifiy a Desktop Manager which suggests he needs to be able to access a GUI.

I've only installed the base GUI on the two Pis I control so I can actually get to them and run a terminal (they're both behind CGNAT so I can't just forward a port). :)

Caporegime
Don’t use TeamViewer, I had it set up for a couple of remote locations but they decided I was a commercial user and put a five minute timeout on my connections. I’m not a commercial and that five minute timeout was nearer thirty seconds.

Now I use VNC. Free for up to five computers and it’s working very well here. There is software for PC, Mac and Linux. I’m using it on my iMac to connect to three machines, one running Windows 10 and the other two are Raspberry Pis.

TV can kiss my ****. It used to be great but it's just plain awful these days and I also keep getting flagged for commercial use (not sure how lazily connecting to my PC downstairs could be business driven). Thanks for the suggestion.

Soldato

How do you get this free for 5? its on a 30 day limited trial as far as i can see.

Man of Honour
Oof Royal on Windows is honestly the slowest app I've ever used in my life (have not tried the Mac one).
No issues at all on my Mac, it does Microsoft RDP better than the Microsoft client does. It's still not as good as say MobaXterm on the PC for Linux based sessions but it's probably the best macOS client I've tried.

Back
Top Bottom