Pc failure help

Associate
OP
Yeah from the looks of it the old w7 OS SSD I cant get what I need from it. All thats on it is like lists of softwares and just useless data too me. No actual juicey normal person data. I want one folder that I filled with data on the desktop. Cant find any desktop folder tbh. Anything labled 'desktop' displays as empty via 'treesize' and is empty. maybe all of it is just lost? Unless I'm totally missing a method I'll just wipe it I guess lol

Associate
OP
I'm using CPUID HWMonitor to monitor fans and temps and such, the cpu temp like changes every 1-3 seconds and jumps around, is that normal? because when i watch the cpu temp in bios it moves much much less frequently , is it really moving that much because im just sat barely doing much on the desktop?

Soldato
the cpu temp like changes every 1-3 seconds and jumps around, is that normal?
Define 'jumping around'?

If you mean individual core temps are fluctuating slightly (1-3 degrees) as it idles/reading foums/Windows 10 p***ing around in the background - perfectly normal.

Associate
OP
hmmm i can see all the cores, but they display in W's I think

as an example, id watch the temps under system, PCH, MOS, the CPU, and cpu, for Value, I'll just list the numbers now as it goes, as it seems to refresh every few seconds anyway. mostly idling on w10 atm, like 10 tabs/steam and 1 youtube video. 49/46/53/48/45/42/40/45/42/48/44/42/49/45/43//48/44/42/51/50/49/48/55/50/56/51/47/55/50/46/42/41/39/44

pc has been running since lunch

at those temps , the cpu fan runs roughly between 2100 and 2300 rpm.

tbh im not sure yet, but i think I can hear it quite a lot lol , i think i'll getting something beefier in the future, i need to do research and find out how much of an improvement i can get sound and temp wise

PC is doing great now, thank you for all your help, I cant thank you enough. the quality of your replies and the quick responsiveness is impressive to say the least.

Soldato
PC is doing great now, thank you for all your help, I cant thank you enough. the quality of your replies and the quick responsiveness is impressive to say the least.
No worries - got there in the end.

When are you attaching the Noctua in your sig? (It will improve temps and relative silence considerably compared to the stock cooler.)

Associate
OP
when ive bought it, gamed all this morning, temps are between 40-64 , tbh i think temps are averaging like 50-55 , maybe 60 at points, but its never maxed past 64 yet. ive played around with all the fans curves now, mostly all steep tbh. cpu fan is like max 2600rpm most of the time lol, tbh its not that noisey, its noticable , but wife said its not bad. but its annoying me as i know the Noctua would destroy it, it appears like the best one out there, although they do do two types , a 1 tower and 2 tower, i cant remember which did better in the video i watched, i think it was the D15 one , im interested to see the temp difference :D

Soldato
when ive bought it, gamed all this morning, temps are between 40-64 , tbh i think temps are averaging like 50-55 , maybe 60 at points, but its never maxed past 64 yet. ive played around with all the fans curves now, mostly all steep tbh. cpu fan is like max 2600rpm most of the time lol, tbh its not that noisey, its noticable , but wife said its not bad. but its annoying me as i know the Noctua would destroy it, it appears like the best one out there, although they do do two types , a 1 tower and 2 tower, i cant remember which did better in the video i watched, i think it was the D15 one , im interested to see the temp difference :D
If you're after D15 performance/silence then take a look at the Scythe Mugen Rev B - Clicky

It has an excellent performance to cost ratio - and performance on a par with Noctua:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

AHq8gqe.jpg

Associate
OP
I want the best for my CPU without blowing too much money. That cooler seems on par with the d15 stats wise. I mean. Is it one you use? Or would use?

I'm very tempted by it and its designed so I can run a push pull with 2x120mm , can't find it he single purchase extra fan listing though.

Do you think that on would do the job and save myself 30£? I mean if it's for the sake of 1degree then it's worth saving th cash. It's just the main impact of the upgrade in the firstplace that's mainly what I'm after I guess . I gotta be careful I don't start wasting Vs valu for what I get back

Soldato
Is it one you use? Or would use?
Yes, i would use it, if needed. No, i don't have one - as the beauty of quality air coolers is once you have a decent one you very rarely have to change it. Perhaps the odd fan replacement...

I'm very tempted by it and its designed so I can run a push pull with 2x120mm , can't find it he single purchase extra fan listing though.
You only need the 1 x fan - and there's negligible difference with push/pull configs, certainly with your usage.

Do you think that on would do the job and save myself 30£? I mean if it's for the sake of 1degree then it's worth saving th cash
Yes, save your money - if temps are your main concern.

Associate
OP
Thanks.

I'm going to go by all the temps and noise I currently have. And hope that the new one improves both. When I play the game I average 55-65degrees 68 being max I've seen

I feel that's quite high? . When I close the game the temp drops into the very high 40s and it might average at 45 if I'm lucky probably while browsing

What kinda temps are you dealing with usually?

Soldato
I'm going to go by all the temps and noise I currently have. And hope that the new one improves both. When I play the game I average 55-65degrees 68 being max I've seen
Your load temps are well within tolerance - and not bad for the stock cooler.

When I close the game the temp drops into the very high 40s and it might average at 45 if I'm lucky probably while browsing
What are your idle temps when you initially boot up (settled) and browsing?

Your idle temps after gaming are warm (if they stay that way?) - not necessarily a problem but unusual considering your fan setup.

How have you got your fan curve setup and what are the names of the fans you're using? (Double check the orientation of your fans since cleaning/refitting).

*Did you buy thermal paste?

Associate
OP
just logged on now, idle temps currently, min 45, max 56, current: 50,47,,55,52,50,47,42,41,40,46,42,49,45,,43,52,50,49,50,47,43,50

my temps normally drop as soon as i close the game. i cant remember when i first did that load of temps, if the game was open still or not. they do drop when i close game and other stuff. but the above is just logged on now nothing much open, usual browsing stuff.

mins appearing as 40c as i type now. i normally notice the min keeps slowly creating now mins.

i have four points to move around on the cpu fan curve, i set something like , 100% at 70 90% at 65 80% at 60 then like a 60% at 50 . either way i dont think its registered or ive ran some graph values wrong some how, as the cpu fan hasnt changed and is still spinning at 2600 which maybe is its max? min 39c now

i used the paste that was already applied im using mostly the NZXT fans 120ms and the fans that came with the k2 mount doom cooler too

i was going to do something like this,

100% @ 70C
90% @ 65C
80% @ 60C
70% @ 55C
60% @ 50C
50% @ 45C
40% @ 40C

but i only have 4 points supplied to move on the graph

all the none header fans are like between 800-1100 depending on temp , if gaming, normally all 1100 lets say

Last edited:
Soldato
Try disabling AMD Cool N Quiet inside the BIOS (it can interfere). Then re-apply your fan curve if needed.

Note that apparently for the fan settings to stick you have to do this after you finish tinkering with stuff like XMP (for the memory) or Game Boost (if you mess with that), going on what I've heard.

I'd look into whether more fan curve points can be added. Not sure if unticking "Smart Fan Mode" will allow for this.

Associate
OP
Thank you for the advise I will check all that info out. Just for some added in, i stopped playing the game now, but left it all running, while i went and chatted to wife for like an hour, so i came back to some different temps, The Min was the same at 39c, max had increased to 67, and current was 60, i then sat at watched it for a little, min stayed the same of course, max stayed the same, and the current seemed to be 55-60 , interesting temps. 55-60 . im taking it all on board and soaking up all the info , prior to more adjustments and the new main cooler when i get round to buying it . thanks again

edit, 10pm now, i restarted pc after gaming and left it away from keyboard, min 37 max 55, average like 40-48 , coolies :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom