The CCNA/Cisco Certifications Thread

Man of Honour
Online/virtualised labs are good, but sometimes it's nice to have kit in front of you, especially if preparing for the lab exam.

The 'packs' seem to still sell on eBay, Gumtree, and Facebook, so it's worth a look at sold listings to get an idea of price.

Soldato
Well just come back after passing the 200-105 exam this morning :D. I will say I found the 100-105 far easier as the 200-105 was worded a bit weird in places.

Start working on the CCNP next year.

Soldato
Might be a stupid question but when I was at college we used Packet Tracer to virtually setup networks, is this still going or is there a new version? Or would something like Vagrant be better to use?

I have used mainly GNS in my time for most routing and dumb switching stuff (you cant really emulate switches properly) - GNS3 got me through general labbing for work stuff, ICND1, ICND2 for the CCNA, and the Route exam for CCNP, I then had to switch to using real physical switches and packet tracer for the CCNP Switch exam. and a mixture of GNS3 and packet tracer for the CCNP TSHOOT exam.

Soldato
I have used mainly GNS in my time for most routing and dumb switching stuff (you cant really emulate switches properly) - GNS3 got me through general labbing for work stuff, ICND1, ICND2 for the CCNA, and the Route exam for CCNP, I then had to switch to using real physical switches and packet tracer for the CCNP Switch exam. and a mixture of GNS3 and packet tracer for the CCNP TSHOOT exam.

Excellent that's the kind of thing I wanted to hear. Did you did any of the GNS3 courses?

Associate
Is any one doing CCNP R&S at the moment? iv just passed switch and needs some guidance on route
i have 2 routers to play around with , 2821 and 2921 do i need any others? also is the cisco press book any good?

Soldato
On the topic of Packet Tracer, has anyone had any problems with it randomly crashing?

Can't remember the exact version off the top of my head, 5.5 I think. I have updated to 6 IIRC and had the same issue... Multiple PC's too.

Soldato
Attended a CCNAX course a year ago and only recently realised I'd got a free exam voucher which expired at the end of May.

Studied hard the last few weeks and sat the 200-125 today. I passed! :)

My CCNA had expired in 2016 while I was trying to pass the 210-260. Thinking I might try to tackle that again before starting on my CCNP.

Feels good to be back!

Associate
Slightly off topic - probably more General Hardware related, but I'm looking to do ICND1 and ICND2 in the coming year.

Can anyone recommend a decent performance laptop to run Packet Tracer and later GNS3 on? I understand GNS3 is a hardware resource hog and needs atleast 8 to 16GB of RAM and a fast processor so i5/i7. Laptops seem to wildly vary in price to spec/performance so any recommendations outside of the usual DELL/XPS or some other Gaming spec system would be appreciated.

Shawrey

Associate
You can achieve ICND1 and ICND2 using Packet Tracer only, which doesn't need anything particularly powerful.

Thanks for confirming my research into ICND1 and 2 RE: use of Packet Tracer. I'm mainly looking at something for GNS3 later. I may just run Packet Tracer on what I have currently which should suffice and look at a more powerful machine later for GNS3.

Shawrey

Soldato
Got through my ICND1 and ICND2 with GNS3 alone.

CCNP I used a combination of GNS3, 3 x physical switches (added a 4th to play around with creating a loop in the network) and packet tracer.

I prefer to use GNS3 where possible but obviously useful for the routing part and some switch elements (not all) (unless they have updated it recently)

Thats a good question is there any good way to do switching in GNS yet?

Soldato
HI all,

Bit of a revival,

My CCNP Routing and Switching needs to be renewed by Jul 2020, however just seen that Cisco certs are changing in feb 2020

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/train...rtifications/certifications/professional.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/train...ions/professional/ccnp-routing-switching.html

Those that are in a similar situ and need to re-certify, are you going to go for the updated exam, or just try and take one of the three current exams to re-certify before the change? and then just check over any updates in your own time?

Back
Top Bottom