Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Ow ow ow

First run in my new trainers and my feet are killing. Felt very comfy for the first few miles but ended up walking the last mile or so home as felt like a lot of rubbing.

Hoping it’s just temporary but might try some slightly thicker socks next time out.

Man of Honour
Managed to get the Baddow 10 mile run in at 1hr,18mins & 20secs. Very Very pleased that I completed this only 18 months after having ICL surgery .. My hamstring played up at around the 7 mile marker otherwise I think I could have knocked a few mins off that. They used muscle tissues from the hamstring area to destabilize the knee. At my age, this will take years to rebuild but I've been told to work hard at it in the gym, which I have. I've taken a few weeks off now raring to go again.

Caporegime
Can you recommend a Run Weather App ?
i looked at google play and only came up with the one, but i think its a bit inaccurate

Weather underground ?

Does graphs etc to show you the best times to get out etc.

On the subject of weather. Can anyone recommend a rain jacket? Ideally something I can use for both running and biking. Light, windproof and breathable.

Associate
Never got chance to go out for a run yesterday lunch but did manage 19:18 last night for the almost 5k!

Fab time, nice work!

new PB at 2 hours 4 mins 2 secs

Pbs are always great, nice work.

10 mile run in at 1hr,18mins & 20secs. Very Very pleased that I completed this only 18 months after having ICL surgery

So pleased for you. When you think you've lost something there is nothing sweeter than showing you haven't. Amazing progress.

Can anyone recommend a rain jacket? Ideally something I can use for both running and biking. Light, windproof and breathable.

I really like the shake dry gore jackets for this. Not cheap but fit your criteria nicely.

Caporegime
I really like the shake dry gore jackets for this. Not cheap but fit your criteria nicely.

I really wish at this price it had a hood, because I'd be very tempted.

I take that back, it's just another £30!

Hood is a must though.

But it has led me to Outdoor Research Helium II which is cheaper, nearly as light, can be used with a backpack.

Last edited:
Associate
That's looks really nice too. With the shakedry I've worn a backpack loads of time without issue. You can occasionally pick them up for half price which feels much more like what they are worth.

Underboss
Weather underground ?

Does graphs etc to show you the best times to get out etc.

On the subject of weather. Can anyone recommend a rain jacket? Ideally something I can use for both running and biking. Light, windproof and breathable.

I picked up a 3/4 zip, puma pwr warm on sale for £18, was hopeing it was just a long sleeve top, but it's a decent jacket, it's windproof, I've not needed to use it yet, so I can't really comment if good or bad. I'll have s look when I get home and give you the link

Soldato
Terrible weather today but improved my time of a few days ago for the half marathon 2 hrs and 13 secs not quite under 2 hours yet but will keep working at it.

Raised $23 though to fight marine plastic pollution you can sign up via the Runtastic app Adidas will donate $1 for every KM run (also counts via treadmill) its going on from 8th to 16th June :)

Soldato
Starting to think those Nike trainers claims could've been true.

After having been improving my speed recently. I've now had 3 runs in my new trainers and i seem to be around 30s slower per mile :(

Out of interest, what are peoples thoughts on new trainers just not working for you? Do you persevere or accept defeat and buy others?

Associate
Out of interest, what are peoples thoughts on new trainers just not working for you? Do you persevere or accept defeat and buy others?

The only time they don't work for me is if they turn out to be uncomfortable. I've never noticed a pair to be faster than another. I swap between many pairs so if there is a difference it's within background noise in on opinion.

Soldato
Yeah. Not too bothered about that. I have had a lot more blisters/aches since swapping which is more of an issue.

Never had this before with some new trainers. Hopefully my feet adapt but the toe box is narrow and feels like my big toe has plastic digging in the middle of it.

Man of Honour
Yeah. Not too bothered about that. I have had a lot more blisters/aches since swapping which is more of an issue.

Never had this before with some new trainers. Hopefully my feet adapt but the toe box is narrow and feels like my big toe has plastic digging in the middle of it.

Are they a different brand to the one you usually get? There are definitely differences between the manufacturers so some will fit you better than others, it's one of the reasons why getting them fitted in a store (even if you then buy elsewhere) is so important* and online recommendations aren't usually worth much. Sometimes there are even differences in shape between what are ostensibly newer versions of the same model because the manufacturer has played about with the shoe. If after a few runs they aren't comfortable then they're probably not going to get that much better so unless you can return them you might have to cut your losses.

*I didn't do this with a recent pair of trainers and bought a pair of size 11 Adidas which were a bit too big, I returned them and requested a size 10.5 albeit in a different Adidas model due to stock availability and after a few runs discovered they were too small. I now can't return them and don't want to wear them as they tend to cause me blisters after a while, I'll be trying not to do that again. It's odd that there was such a difference between sizes in the same brand but different models and I've had Adidas shoes before which were great.

Back
Top Bottom