Installing Windows 10

Associate
So, I'm pretty computer illiterate, but I just got a new PC, without windows or anything installed. So I downloaded Windows 10 to a USB stick and followed the instructions Windows gives on how to use it. It didn't work. The problem is that when I go to the system boot it gives me 4 options, two of which are the same, none of which seem to be the USB option, and none of which work. I've gone into the settings and stuff to try and figure it out but I've found nothing helpful. Like I say I'm not great at IT so I might be missing something simple, but I definitely need some help.

Associate
Here's a video that runs through the entire process from the creation of Windows 10 bootable USB stick:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MfwjISmkEJM

Before you attempt to install Windows, ensure you only connect the single drive you will be installing Windows onto (i.e. disconnect any additional hard drives, SSDs). Also disconnect any other USB sticks and external drives that you may have.

When you try to boot from the Windows 10 USB stick, is there an option that says something like "UEFI USB disk....."? That would be the one to select to boot from. It might instead be called something like "UEFI generic....." depending on the hardware.

Associate
OP
So, I have both an SSD and a standard hard drive, so I just want to install windows onto the standard hard drive then?

Soldato
No, you'll want to install it on the SSD. I'd disconnect any other drives apart from the one you want it installed onto (the SSD).

I assume the issue you are having is actually booting from the USB stick?

Associate
As stated above, Windows should be installed on the SSD.

There's currently no important data on the SSD I assume? If there is important data, that'd need to be backed up first.

Associate
OP
Yeah, no important data, and yeah, the issue I'm having is with booting from the USB, got some tech support so I might be able to fix it now but we'll see. So how do I go about disconnecting the hard drive so I can reconnect it later?

Associate
Yeah, no important data, and yeah, the issue I'm having is with booting from the USB, got some tech support so I might be able to fix it now but we'll see. So how do I go about disconnecting the hard drive so I can reconnect it later?

Carefully pull out the power cable attached to the HDD (the other end goes to PSU, which you can leave as it is). It's not essential to disconnect these other drives, but means you won't get confused later when choosing which drive to install Windows on.

Assuming you created the Windows 10 boot USB correctly and with it inserted into a USB slot, upon boot up look out for a quick boot menu option that you can select using keyboard (maybe F11) to enable you to select the boot device. You have to press this quite quickly, otherwise it will quickly go away and you'll have to restart. Once you've found the quick boot menu, let us know what options it gives you.

Back
Top Bottom