Possible to change phone line to a network point?

Associate
ok, so I have fiber to the home which comes into my understairs cupboard to the ONT. Below the ONT is a phone socket which you connect the phone cable from the ONT to provide a phone line to two different points, one in the hallway and one into our living room, which we currently have our phone base station plugged into.

To me, the cable that is behind the face plates looks like its Cat 5...

I want to know if I can change the living room and understairs point to a network point?
Then the understairs point would have a patch cable to my router, then I could fit a small switch to the living room point, allowing me to have my TV & PS4, etc. hardwired.

It looks like one single cable runs to the hallway and then the living room connects behind the hallway socket.

Hopefully, these pictures help?

Living room point

Living room wires

ONT (router sits above this)

Phone socket below ONT

Hallway point. Two cables, one from the ONT point and the other running into the living room

Soldato
It does look like network cable so what you describe should work.

Re-twist the pairs together before terminating the cables. Ideally, you should trim them right back, but that could leave you with problems re-terminating in the future.

You'd need to join the cable in the hallway. Something like this

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/...8fSBalgsUOQiz3xQKi0pt_zVStWioVCri0aAu2O8P8HAQ

might fit in the backing box with a blanking cover over it.

You'll need to find another option for connecting your landline phone.

Associate
OP
That's great thanks. I will have to try it... If that doesn't fit what other options do I have for joining the cable?

I think I will just move the phone base station to plug in directly in the understairs cupboard.

Soldato
A backing box is 75mm square and I'm pretty sure those couplers aren't that long.

If it's going to behind a blanking plate it won't need its top on which will make the cable access easier.

Soldato
Certainly looks like ethernet, but whether or not it is Cat 5 is another matter. Are you able to pull the cable through? If so, replace it with known cat 6 ethernet cable. You may need to do this in two stages: first attach a pull wire to the current cable and pull that through, then use the pull wire to pull the new cable through. The advantage of that way is you don't run the risk of the two cables separating somewhere in the duct.

Soldato
If it's not at least Cat5 what's is going to be? Cat5 and/or Cat5e have been the minimum level for as long as I can remember (and I can remember installing 10Base2).

No point even trying to replace the cable until it has proved not to work (IMO).

Associate
OP
Certainly looks like ethernet, but whether or not it is Cat 5 is another matter. Are you able to pull the cable through? If so, replace it with known cat 6 ethernet cable. You may need to do this in two stages: first attach a pull wire to the current cable and pull that through, then use the pull wire to pull the new cable through. The advantage of that way is you don't run the risk of the two cables separating somewhere in the duct.

I haven't a clue what route it takes or how it's been fixed, I'm guessing it will go: up from the living room - across the ceiling - down into the hall - the hall then runs up to the ceiling - towards the cupboard - drops down into cupboard.

can't see me being able to pull that, or is it normal to pull routes like that?

I did give a little pull earlier just to see if the cable had anything printed on it to say if it was Cat 5 or not, didn't move, but then didn't want to pull too hard and break it.

Associate
OP
yeah, which this wouldn't have. its a new build (well nearly 6 years old) I'm guessing it would be fixed along the route or 90 degree turns it won't pull through.

Soldato
If it's not at least Cat5 what's is going to be?

Precisely.

Cat5 and/or Cat5e have been the minimum level for as long as I can remember (and I can remember installing 10Base2).

Noob. :)

No point even trying to replace the cable until it has proved not to work (IMO).

I prefer a pre-emptive strike when I have the opportunity.

can't see me being able to pull that, or is it normal to pull routes like that?

If the cable is in ducting pulling it through shouldn't be a problem; if it's been clamped along the way that's not going to be possible.

Associate
OP
yeah, don't think pulling a new run will work.

I will see if joining it and putting two RJ45 face plates work, worth it for only spending £10 or so. if not will stick with wifi, just thinking it would be a nice to have if it worked.

Soldato
Why would they need to use ducting for internal telephone extension wiring? Honest question, if it's a requirement it'd be interesting to know.

How old can a house be and still count as 'new build'? The OP's is one is six years old which is pushing it in my mind.

Associate
OP
My mention of it being a new build was more to the fact of how it was probably made rather than its actual age. The wiring was probably done by someone that is rushed that has to wire 'X' amount of houses that day. It is probably not the best of jobs. I am sure most new housing estates (built in the last 10/15 years) have the same standards.

Caporegime
All internal cabling on every new build I've seen is just tacked to timber framing or capped where it's a brick wall. Nothing is laid in conduit and I can't see anything in the regs that suggests data/telecom is meant to be either.

Is that a Seethelight FTTP install or similar? It looks like a Friday afternoon job.

Associate
OP
Ha yeah, it is Seethelight! but they only installed the ONT. The cable was run by the builders, and yes I think the same, most probably tacked to timber.

Seethelight as an ISP has been excellent though, always maximum speed and very low ping, can't fault them!

Associate
OP
Update: Had my cousin come around today to do the first fix for the electrics (I'm moving where the TV is mounted), he also joined the Cat 5 cable- it works perfectly! getting full speed, low ping. no issues whatsoever! :D chuffed.

Back
Top Bottom