• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My Noctua filled Case - RTX2080TI Raijintek Morpheus Air Mod

Associate
I have been recently fancying an upgrade on the stock cooler on my Zotac RTX2080TI

I was reading a little which seemed to indicate one of these would fit reasonably well.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/raijintek-morpheus-ii-core-black-heatpipe-vga-cooler-hs-028-rt.html

I purchased one plus a couple of Noctua fans, fitted it and all went reasonably smoothly. Dropped from fairly high 70-80c to around 40-50c and basically complete silence.

Seems a fairly worthwhile mod. Now my computer is completely filled with Noctua fans...

rtx2080ti1.jpg

rtx2080ti2.jpg

rtx2080ti3.jpg
rtx2080ti4.jpg

rtx2080ti5.jpg

rtx2080ti6.jpg

rtx2080ti7.jpg

rtx2080ti8.jpg

rtx2080ti9.jpg

rtx2080ti10.jpg

rtx2080ti11.jpg

rtx2080ti12.jpg

rtx2080ti13.jpg

rtx2080ti14.jpg

Permabanned
Been thinking about this today last night my zotac 1080 fan became unbearable and i realized ocuk listed it just as 5yr warranty. So i never registered the gpu and i now know ocuk were wrong it is just two years unless you register within 28days. Heck i think it sat in a box for 30days before i built the damm thing!

Anyways Linus did one like this but he took off the plastic to reveal his heatsink like mine and yours can have 120mm noctua fans cable tied on. The issue is getting only the plastic off and reselling to someone who will need 2x 4pin fan power headers for the fans. You can get 100-140cmf from two 120mm onto the same heatsink zotac use but with vastly superior fans. But it still leaves me with a sour taste as i realized the mistakes on thier listing cause me to lose three years on my warranty and resale value.

Gpu sag is also an issue for me with Zotac AMP cards its bad now what it would be like with that thing you put on i do not know. I would seriously think about this by the way warping the PCB is no joke!

Soldato
Very nice job. I’ve seen it done before with a V64 and even the differences were significant. 120mm fans vs high speed 90-100mm makes a huge difference to noise.

Absolutely love noctua fans myself. They are serious quality but just the color for me as they wouldn’t fit in the slightest in my build.

Associate
Have done something similar, but couldn't do a GPU mod because of non-standard layout. So it's still rather noisy for anyone with good ears. But love what you've done with your rig. :D

Soldato
I've done this to a 1070FE card. Same cooler, same fans. the noise and temp difference is well worth it. Also considering swapping the stock Nh-d14 fans for two NF-A12x25 pwm

Associate
OP
Been thinking about this today last night my zotac 1080 fan became unbearable and i realized ocuk listed it just as 5yr warranty. So i never registered the gpu and i now know ocuk were wrong it is just two years unless you register within 28days. Heck i think it sat in a box for 30days before i built the damm thing!

Anyways Linus did one like this but he took off the plastic to reveal his heatsink like mine and yours can have 120mm noctua fans cable tied on. The issue is getting only the plastic off and reselling to someone who will need 2x 4pin fan power headers for the fans. You can get 100-140cmf from two 120mm onto the same heatsink zotac use but with vastly superior fans. But it still leaves me with a sour taste as i realized the mistakes on thier listing cause me to lose three years on my warranty and resale value.

Gpu sag is also an issue for me with Zotac AMP cards its bad now what it would be like with that thing you put on i do not know. I would seriously think about this by the way warping the PCB is no joke!

The weight of the old heat-sync and the new heat-sync is actually pretty similar. The old one was surprisingly decent, it just had 3 inches of thermal paste and obviously pretty naff fans which didn't help.

Permabanned
The weight of the old heat-sync and the new heat-sync is actually pretty similar. The old one was surprisingly decent, it just had 3 inches of thermal paste and obviously pretty naff fans which didn't help.

How do i get the plastic off then so i can cable tie two 3000rpm Noctua to them? I like the sound of whooshing air so considering i only have one fan and no warranty i need to fix this in an easy way. I am not up for a cooler mod i just need the bare silver heatsink and like linus i can cable tie two 120mm Noctua on there.

The Zotac AMP plastic though is this just screws on the side? And the backplate remains on right? I would appreciate some help as i never tried this and do not want to mess it up.

Associate
OP
How do i get the plastic off then so i can cable tie two 3000rpm Noctua to them? I like the sound of whooshing air so considering i only have one fan and no warranty i need to fix this in an easy way. I am not up for a cooler mod i just need the bare silver heatsink and like linus i can cable tie two 120mm Noctua on there.

The Zotac AMP plastic though is this just screws on the side? And the backplate remains on right? I would appreciate some help as i never tried this and do not want to mess it up.

This bit is dead easy, there are about 4 tiny screws around the edges of the plastic shroud then a small bit of force and I believe it should pop off. You will have more difficulty removing the fan cables which are wedged under the stock HSF, but it is possible with a smaller tool.

You will also need a couple of these for your new fans.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-cable-pwm-fan-adapter-for-gpu-50cm-wc-9d9-ek.html

Or some much shorter ones likely available elsewhere.

Permabanned
Surprising it made such a difference, looks like basically the same piece of metal with fans.

I have a 1080 Strix and it's massively cooler and quieter than anything I've had previously. Strix is defo worth the premium for anyone who doesn't want to macgyver it.

Permabanned
This bit is dead easy, there are about 4 tiny screws around the edges of the plastic shroud then a small bit of force and I believe it should pop off. You will have more difficulty removing the fan cables which are wedged under the stock HSF, but it is possible with a smaller tool.

You will also need a couple of these for your new fans.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-cable-pwm-fan-adapter-for-gpu-50cm-wc-9d9-ek.html

Or some much shorter ones likely available elsewhere.

Cheers i will look for them but from what i can see i do not have screws on the side i do see 8 though in where the circular cut out is for the 100mm ultrawide fans. Maybe they hold both the fans and plastic to the metal heatsink.

Soldato
You can find anti-sag PCIe GPU brackets for about £10 on the bay etc. I didn't use one on my GPU fan mod although it would look nicer. Instead of attaching the fans (Phanteks MP120 PWM good cheaper alternative to Noctuas) to the GPU heatsink, I attached them to a case PCIe bracket on one end and for the other end I used some wires attached to the case HDD cage and a grommet hole. The fans now support the weight of the card and heatsink.

Nice job @rIcK

I built a system with a Gaming Edge mATX and Fractal Meshify C micro as well a few days ago. Didn't like the foam Fractal calls a "dust filter" in the front so got rid of it. :)

Last edited:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
You’ve got to wonder why manufacturers don’t use silent fans in the first place.

My 2080Ti runs pretty cool compared to some I’ve seen but it certainly doesn’t run silently.

Don
LARGE

My old Coolermaster case has had similar treatment.

4x 80MM Noctua, 1x 140MM and 2x 120MM fans.

I made a 5v/12v switch on the front of the case. When I'm not gaming, PC is near silent when all at 5V. When I game, headphones on and all fans at 12V :D

Associate
You’ve got to wonder why manufacturers don’t use silent fans in the first place.

My 2080Ti runs pretty cool compared to some I’ve seen but it certainly doesn’t run silently.

Exactly this, makes no sense to me at all. Nobody wants a loud card..

Back
Top Bottom