1 Day in New York... What to see?

Soldato
Hey, So I am currently in NY for work and have all of Saturday free. What are the top things I should see?

If the weather stays clear for today (It has been pretty crap the last 24 hours) I was going to up the Empire State building as it started to turn to night to see the skyline light up. My Father in Law is saying I need to go to Ellis Island for the history which seems OK, I am not even remotely fussed about seeing the Statue of Liberty so thought I'd ask what others would suggest.

Soldato
I only spent 3 nights in NY, but I just enjoyed walking around looking/seeing things really... I loved walking over the Brooklyn Bridge, and hanging out over the other side watching the bridge at night was awesome. Really enjoyed Central Park, and wish I walked further and explored more.

I went to see the Twin Towers site, which was very moving and interesting.

Also Grand Central Station - Which is massive and so good if you're a people watcher (aka a nosey ******* :p)

And I'm a sucker for a Comedy Club, so I went to see a show which was awesome :p

Caporegime
Erm....There are 3 main skyscrapers in New York that people typically go up.

1 - Rockafellar
2 - Empire State
3 - New WTC

The best one IMO is Rockafellar because you will get to see Empire State dead centre in front of you, which is the iconic photo. If you are on Empire State then you are IN the very building that you should be looking at.

szmItkN.jpg

New WTC is down town so your best view isn't back at the city, more so looking towards Brooklyn and see the 3 bridges.

mU31dsc.jpg

gWshd3h.jpg

Be warn that you need to arrive early to get tickets, if you get there at 6pm, you are unlikely to get to go up unil 9pm for Top of the Rock, with WTC you can book online.

Other things I would do.

Go to Katz Deli to get a Pastrim Sandwich (Where they filmed When Harry Met Sally with that fake orgasm scene). Really good sandwich, almost orgasmic :p

gJJEV9I.jpg

Take a walk in China town as you are next to it or to New WTC, at least see the Oculus and 911 Memorial

lU0Bzf6.jpg

Train up to Grand Central Station to have a look (The basement has ShakeShack)

x1VUFBX.jpg

Then Train up to Central Park or The Met if you want too go to a Museum (personally I am not a fan of the the Met, each to their own)

May be go to Time Square when you are waiting to go up to Rockafellar Centre (Top of the Rock), it's close by.

Soldato
OP

That is super helpful, Cheers. It never really occurred to me to go up the Rockafella and look at the Empire State. I'll be up and out at around 6am tomorrow morning so hoping to get quite a bit done.

I walked through Times Square a few nights back and went for a beer at the Oyster bar (Didn't eat as not a massive sea food fan) in Grand Central yesterday

Caporegime
Go to hells kitchen and take some pics, was just reading up on the westies. I'm sure it's all changed now though.

New York has changed a lot, it is not as rough anymore.

There is a saying from the locals about the East Village for Example.

That back the day Avenues A, B, C, and D stood for Adventurous, Brave, Crazy, and Dead.

now they stand for Affluent, Bourgeois, Comfortable, Decent.

Associate
If your interested in seeing some sights and only have a few hours I would highly recommend one of the boat sight seeing tours. I was a bit dubious before I went on it but as it was included in our New York Pass I thought why not, and I really enjoyed it.

We did the evening tour as it was getting dark - this one i think LINK

Associate
Rooftop pool party at Jimmy at the James, it’s in TriBeCa about 200m from the Ghostbusters firestation. Go up about 7 and watch the sunset. It is free but you need to book and drinks are the usual NY expensive, fantastic views of downtown and uptown. Alternatively go to the Campbell cocktail bar under Grand Central, it’s small and most people don’t even know it’s there (about 20ft x 30ft) last time went I bumped into Jennifer Lawrence, so if it’s good enough for her it’s ok for pleb like me!

Soldato
Agree - Rockafeller is way better than ESB - much bigger at the top and you see Central park one side and ESB the other.

Get one of the bus tours - you can hope on and off as much as you like - that way you can see lots in a day

Soldato
Loved the rock - it's a bit of hassle with the security the long queues but once up (lift to top is a special one.. it goes fast!) there's a couple of floors to look out.

We walked from the statue of liberty back to central park - including Chinatown (bubble tea!) and Little Italy.

Associate
Natural history museum is a great place to spend a morning and then you can walk through central park after.

Have a look round the new Hudson yards development the weird looking vessel structure is open now

Get the ferry over to dumbo and take a walk along the piers there. Great views of downtown Manhattan

Last edited:
Associate
Do what I did - get caught with a beer on the street, have your ID taken for 30 minutes by an armed cop (all armed to be fair) get a ticket, attend the police station, then spend several hours sorting the fine and queing in the post office to send it off.

Don't do this.

I did both the Rock and ESB and preferred ESB. If you go up ESB pay to go right to the top. Definitely go at dusk and stay up there watching the lights across the city come on. That was awesome.

Back
Top Bottom