Kryonaut abrasive??

Associate
Same thing happened to me, completely scratched my IHS on my 6950X, really annoyed, at least it's not in the middle of the IHS, but it looks horrible. Resale value gone down the pan?

Last edited:
Associate
Just to add my 2 cents, I have also suffered from this problem.

Bought a tube of kryonaut nearly a year ago, decided to use it up rather than waste during a spring clean session recently. Noticed exactly the same effects that have been discussed in this thread, although it's worth mentioning I only discovered it after my PC kept crashing from overheating - hence the spring clean! Never had this problem before. Figured it was old paste/bad seating of the cooler.

Bought a new tube two weeks ago, polished the base plate (I have access to a lab with decent lapping kit), applied the new kryonaut - being extra careful this time. Temps seemed to be passable until yesterday when I got another thermal crash. Scratches are back too. Apologies for no photos, fail there on my part.
The scratches seem to be prominent around the edge of the CPU-baseplate contact.

A bit concerning and annoying as I have never had this issue before.

Associate
Thanks for posting this, Kryonaut was on my purchase list, but reading this thread, I think I will do some further exploration!

MX-4 has never let me down, probably because I have a massive tube of it! They use a similar process of carbon particles, but I don't know if the carbon pieces are bigger or not.

Associate
So turns out I do have some GC-3 EXTREME PERFORMANCE THERMAL left as well as some AS5.

May still look at liquid metal for the performance gains for small price increase...

Associate
Hello guys. I have been using pastes for many years and never had an issue. Bought Kryonaut from a reliable big computer store who always make sure their stuff is tip top and i put it on my i7-8700K with an after market CPU cooler. 24 hours later after normal use (wanted to test a few pastes to find the best for normal use) i took it off and my IHS is scratched plus my CPU cooler looks even worse. Almost like i had taken a screwdriver and jammed it into the metal causing metal spikes coming out of it.

What is going on with this paste?! Even the shop barely believed me until i sent photos and also told them im educated on PC hardware and have done this for decades building PC's. They told me to come in with the CPU, paste and cooler so they can take a closer look. I have warranty on everything and i have proof that my previous CPU i used the same cooler for has not a single scratch on it. I bought that CPU from them as well plus the cooler so they can see a timeline of my hardware i bought.

Performance wise Kryonaut actually took down the heat at the max level. NT-H1 and MX-4 paste spiked my CPU to 67C under normal gaming use with an average during heavy gaming maybe around 50-55C. Kryonaut on the other hand spiked max to 63C and had about the same average under heavy load as the others. The very top heat shave-off however was nice to see but i will never use this paste again thanks to this experience. It looks almost like Kryonaut fused with the metal in my cooler and then when i took it off and did that quarter twist to get it off the CPU (paste makes it almost like vaccum and not possible to take it off straight up) is when i think the scratches on my IHS happened.

Bought NH-D15 cooler now and will go with NT-H1 for the time being. I will upload images when i get the chance (few days) so you can see how it looks. I tested Arctic Silver 5, all good, tested NT-H1, all good, MX-4, all good, Kryonaut, tons of scratches and all messed up. I use isopropanol to clean and always make sure its real clean. I didnt OC. Didnt push heat stress testing my CPU. Just normal use.

Its obvious some people have a good experience with Kryonaut and thats great, but my advice to someone who never used it before - use the very batch you buy on some older cooler/CPU you dont mind scratching just to be sure the batch you got is OK. Do not just put it on if you bought/saved up money for a brand new expensive CPU/cooler in case this happens to you too.

EDIT: I pressed out a little bit of Kryonaut before applying on my CPU to check there was no chunks or similar in it ("monday" batch). It was completely smooth.

Last edited:
Associate
This is what it looks like after kryonaut on my IHS:
20190613-105125.jpg

Associate
strange you decided to pull your cooler after seeing this thread ..and only having 2 posts here .. oh well there does not seem to be much wrong in that picture ?
I Googled problems with kryonnaut after my problem happened. Found this thread and wrote what happened to me. How that is "wrong" baffles me? All i saw previously to buying the paste was how good it was. Thougt i was the only one hit with this issue and found out i wasnt in this thread.

Bad attitude.

Permabanned
I Googled problems with kryonnaut after my problem happened. Found this thread and wrote what happened to me. How that is "wrong" baffles me? All i saw previously to buying the paste was how good it was. Thougt i was the only one hit with this issue and found out i wasnt in this thread.

Bad attitude.
i'll say it again .. not much wrong in that picture no scratches dints or marks I can see ...?

Associate
Hi :)
Wanted to give you guys some official feedback from Thermal Grizzly side.

We indeed had one bad batch of thermal paste early 2018 which we only noticed after it was already shipped out to customers.
We always take samples from each batch and perform spot tests but it appeared that in this specific batch the spot tests which we performed had the normal performance,
but several syringes had zinc oxide which was not perfectly grinded the way it should be. Zinc oxide is quite hard and strong compared to metals like copper used for coolers and CPU heatspreaders. This explains the scratches you saw on some pictures here.
Due to the fact that the thermal paste has no S/N we unfortunately were not able to track where this shipment was sent/sold.

We are very sorry that some of you experienced this and we will try our best to compensate your personal cases.
In general if you experience any of the problems described in this thread don't hesitate to contact us directly: [email protected] and we will figure something out for you.

I can also tell you that we changed the supplier after this incident. The new chemical factory has top-notch roll mills which we personally inspect every quarter to make sure we can maintain perfect quality.

Again we are very sorry about this but you can be sure that this won't happen again in future and if you have any additional questions or requests please shoot an email to us.
Thanks and Bear-Wishes
TG-Support

Man of Honour

We indeed had one bad batch of thermal paste early 2018 which we only noticed after it was already shipped out to customers.
We always take samples from each batch and perform spot tests but it appeared that in this specific batch the spot tests which we performed had the normal performance,
but several syringes had zinc oxide which was not perfectly grinded the way it should be. Zinc oxide is quite hard and strong compared to metals like copper used for coolers and CPU heatspreaders. This explains the scratches you saw on some pictures here.
Due to the fact that the thermal paste has no S/N we unfortunately were not able to track where this shipment was sent/sold.

We are very sorry that some of you experienced this and we will try our best to compensate your personal cases.
In general if you experience any of the problems described in this thread don't hesitate to contact us directly: [email protected] and we will figure something out for you.

I can also tell you that we changed the supplier after this incident. The new chemical factory has top-notch roll mills which we personally inspect every quarter to make sure we can maintain perfect quality.

Again we are very sorry about this but you can be sure that this won't happen again in future and if you have any additional questions or requests please shoot an email to us.
Thanks and Bear-Wishes
TG-Support
Thanks for the feedback and input.

You might also want to contact OCUK directly through your official channels to upgrade your account to show that you're an official for your company :)

Associate
Im not sure if the marks on my cpu and cold plate came from the 1g tube i got or the larger tube i got afterwards. I need to take the cooler off and check everything again. Might be worth inspecting my GPU aswell as i used it when i put an AIO on that recently

Associate

Thanks and Bear-Wishes
TG-Support

Very grateful to see a company taking responsibility for a mistake.

Like michty_me also said, for any future purchases, how can we be sure we won't be receiving some old stock from the bad batch? Will there be new packaging to be able to differentiate?

Thanks.

Soldato
if you can't track or trace it ,and you don't know how many were sold .. then it's a case of pull it all back in ?

Agreed, otherwise it's not really taking responsibility, is it?

"We've put a load of faulty product out there that will damage your heatsink and CPU, we've got no way to trace it, we've got no idea if you're going to buy it or how much is still out there, but we're just leaving it there until our customers have bought it and put it on their hardware. Because profits."

Posting an apology on a website is meaningless unless you actually do something to deal with the issue of what faulty product is still in the retail channel.

Back
Top Bottom