Huawei: Yay or nay?

Soldato
My dad got an Huawei phone a couple of months ago. It looks great and was fairly cheap too.

I was going to buy one as well. But with this current situation I'm holding off. It's a shame though.

Soldato
I have the M5 tablet and it is a cracking device. Much better than the iSheep Air 2 I had before it.

Real shame about the current Android situation.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
I used to work in security at a telecoms company and I think if we're going to tar Huawei then we should probably shine a light on the even more budget and shady Chinese brands. The likes of ZTE and TCL spring to mind, I have seen some questionable behaviour but it always straddles the line between negligent or malicious. That said, I've seen some interesting things from Israeli companies too who provide services to end users and have not so transparent links to law enforcement when you start digging.

To Huaweis credit, they are always very proactive when it comes to security of the telecoms infrastructure they provide. Their security research centre find some genuinely interesting stuff and they go to a lot of lengths to show their independence from the mothership. Whether it's all smoke and mirrors, I don't know. I think the approach a lot of the providers are taking by saying we will only let them install kit into the edge of the network is probably the best of both worlds. This limits the impact they could have but also means that if it did go "red dawn" key service locations could be recovered relatively quickly.

Soldato
Ive just received a security update and emui 9 on my honor 8x so it looks like updates are still coming for the time being anyway

Yep, no real impact on current devices with existing versions of Android, they're certified devices and Google can't/won't change that. Updates that bring new versions of Android in the future might be affected though.

Soldato
I have the Matebook X Pro and it's the best ultrabook I've ever used - although quite expensive!
A shame, as I was looking at moving to one of their phones. I may still do yet, as with most things this has been blown completely out of proportion.

Permabanned
P20 user here, great phone. I will look at whatever they have out when I come to switch, not fussed on security updates(this hasn't really been an issue on any phone ever). However if they lose access to any Google stuff I will look elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom