Creaky joints

Soldato
Who's got 'em?

My knees creak audibly, if I'm on my knees doing DIY I can hear them resonating through the floorboards. Sometimes if it's quiet I can feel/hear my neck and elbows do it too.

A bit of research tells me it's not a signifier of bad health and may just be like that forever without a problem... But it's pretty disconcerting hearing yourself creak out loud!

For context I'm 31 and they've done it at least 7-8 years. I used to whinge about having "bad knees" when I was 18 in winter and blame skateboarding. Is it just me?

Don
Most of my joints creak or crack at times, even my spine. Always done it, but I do notice joint pain now, particularly in my right hip. I've pretty well abused my body with goalkeeping in football, hiking and skiing all putting wear into my hips and knees. Getting hand and wrist pain now as well that I put down to shot blocking.

Winter tends to be worst as you say. Turned 40 last year.

Soldato
WD40 won't work, it's not really a lube. Needs to be 3-in-1 oil :p.
Had this years ago but lived normal life mostly but ruled out jogging/running. Doctor said joint hypermobility or something like that. Today get knee problems so probably need to get that looked at (again!) fairly soon. Feet turn inwards slightly but not as bad as others I see and this puts pressure on knees and also ankles I think as get angle pain too. Ha, Falling apart...……...
Don't have kids myself but my nephew has the same clickity clack joints.

Soldato
OP
Is it a creak or pop?

My knees pop pretty gnarly when I do squats. Always makes me think they're going to explode but they've never done it yet!
Just creaky joints or can you hear tendons twang as well?

I started getting this in my 40s and found high-dose glucosamine sulphate + condition supplements worked a treat.
Mostly dry creaking, with pops if I do squats/occasionally while getting out of bed etc. What do tendons twanging sound like?!

Skateboarders used to recommend Glucosamine Sulphate, I've considered it but TBF it doesn't hurt very often. Just don't know if I'm on the road to knackered joints!

WD40 won't work, it's not really a lube. Needs to be 3-in-1 oil
This. Poor show @Diddums :mad:

Soldato
I do suffer from a knee ache (at 33). If I tip my foot up I can get a 'twang/click', I'd that a reason and is it bad? It feels quite satisfying when it does it.

Soldato
Is it a creak or pop?

My knees pop pretty gnarly when I do squats. Always makes me think they're going to explode but they've never done it yet!
You still do squats with that? My left knee started popping with dull pain so now I rarely do squats and if do I keep it around 60kg.

I run two times a week and always have to have a knee strap on as well.

My left knee incidentally is one that suffered a massive knock snowboarding years ago so think age + long term injury has knackered it.

Soldato
You still do squats with that? My left knee started popping with dull pain so now I rarely do squats and if do I keep it around 60kg.

I run two times a week and always have to have a knee strap on as well.

My left knee incidentally is one that suffered a massive knock snowboarding years ago so think age + long term injury has knackered it.

No pain, its just popping. From my research of it, as long as it doesn't cause pain then there's nothing wrong with it and its just synovial fluid popping like in your knuckles.

Associate
My knees often crack when getting up from a kneeling or squat position, one more than the other. Sometimes it feels as if the kneecap is trying to pop out, and I usually have to roll sideways and straighten out my leg to rectify it.

Soldato
I'm 29 and my knees creak sometimes. One side of my hip makes a popping noise quite often and I can feel the cavitation bubbles explode.

My knees creak madly if I kneel, though. I kept thinking something was creaking in my house, but it's always just my knees.

Back
Top Bottom