• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Well now it looks like you have a choice over the 9900k
You can get a much cheaper 8 core from AMD on a much more modern and secure platform that will perform as well in single threaded action as the 9900 and a bit better in multi or a 12 core for the same prices, which is likely going to be even faster single core and absolutely mental multithreaded.
Definitely, that is why I have my mind on the 3800X :)

Associate
Intel dropping prices in response to competition is normal. Every company will price according to competition, that's business. AMD could sell cheaper but they have a better product so prices have crept up. I dont see it as particularly evil or surprising.
I agree, however they have been milking us with their 14++++++++++ for how long now? I don't particularly think that they have been making a lot of efforts into improving their CPUs, yet prices are at a all time high.

Associate
I agree, however they have been milking us with their 14++++++++++ for how long now? I don't particularly think that they have been making a lot of efforts into improving their CPUs, yet prices are at a all time high.

If they're delivering the performance, then it doesn't matter to me.

Now that AMD have surpassed them, either they'll step up or get knocked around until they spend their way through the problem.

I don't think they're on 14+ iterations for the lack of trying. However, they should have done a better job of hiring the necessary talent because other fabs have moved on and executed. If anything, I'd imagine the CPU engineers at Intel are stressed having to squeeze more blood from the stone.

I do hope we see a 10 core Coffee Lake on the current node. Would save a ton of money on heating this winter.

Soldato
There's no question that higher clocked higher SKU gets better binning.

And at stock 3700X is going to have lot worser boost clocks when number of loaded threads rises.
Just like in case of 2700X vs 2700, or 2600X vs 2600.
Heck, for gaming at stock 2600X is better than 2700 with lot better maintaining of boost clocks because of more TDP room.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-5-2600/16.html
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-2600,5625.html
Depends if the motherboard has an "ignore TDP" setting. If it does, it should boost to (or near to) the max boost clock even on all cores if it's stable.

The 3600 is going to sell in much higher volume than the 2600 and 2600X did. It will be the "real world" gamers choice.
At 1080p it may well come in a few percent behind 9th gen Intel, but at 1440p and 4k it'll be matching it in almost every game IMO.
I'm expecting the 3600X to be level at 1080p too.

It is really hard not to recommend a 3600 with a B450 to a non-enthusiast casual gamer.

Permabanned
Well now it looks like you have a choice over the 9900k
You can get a much cheaper 8 core from AMD on a much more modern and secure platform that will perform as well in single threaded action as the 9900 and a bit better in multi or a 12 core for the same prices, which is likely going to be even faster single core and absolutely mental multithreaded.

I'm afraid users, specifically managers in top companies who haven't heard about AMD, will still be buying intel CPUs, and I don't see a change in the foreseable future.
If Ryzen 3000 was more aggressive with 3 12-core SKUs and 2 16-core SKUs, and priced competitively, then the likelihood about more users hearing about AMD offerings would be there.

Not that in this shape and order Ryzen 3000 is bad. It's good but not spectacular to significantly impact the status-quo.

Associate
If they're delivering the performance, then it doesn't matter to me.

Now that AMD have surpassed them, either they'll step up or get knocked around until they spend their way through the problem.

I don't think they're on 14+ iterations for the lack of trying. However, they should have done a better job of hiring the necessary talent because other fabs have moved on and executed. If anything, I'd imagine the CPU engineers at Intel are stressed having to squeeze more blood from the stone.

I do hope we see a 10 core Coffee Lake on the current node. Would save a ton of money on heating this winter.
Lol I never looked at it that way. I guess I wont be using the heater during Winter either.

Soldato
The 3600 is going to sell in much higher volume than the 2600 and 2600X did. It will be the "real world" gamers choice.
At 1080p it may well come in a few percent behind 9th gen Intel, but at 1440p and 4k it'll be matching it in almost every game IMO.
I'm expecting the 3600X to be level at 1080p too.

It is really hard not to recommend a 3600 with a B450 to a non-enthusiast casual gamer.

yep - 3600 will be the cream of the crop sales wise . 3700x with x470 flagships next

@4K8KW10

Server market it key battleground and fact dell is on the uptake- missive win there ! retail wise AMD still selling 2 to 1 against intel so another win though this is part sales and not OEM pre-built systems .
Sure enough, B550 will roll out and you'll see Ryzen 3000 rigs in Retail stores like Currys here, which will signal even more market growth

then roll on 10 core end of the year and then AMD 7nm+ and intel 10nm and we have a rollercoaster 18 months ahead of us!

Associate
Server market it key battleground and fact dell is on the uptake- missive win there ! retail wise AMD still selling 2 to 1 against intel so another win though this is part sales and not OEM pre-built systems .
Sure enough, B550 will roll out and you'll see Ryzen 3000 rigs in Retail stores like Currys here, which will signal even more market growth

For the last few months at work all our desktop and laptop purchases have been Ryzen. They have pretty much conquered the low end business desktop / laptop. We have been getting HP Ryzen 3 machines for usually around £100 cheaper than the i3 equivalent. This is the first time in 15+ years that we have bought so many AMD systems.

Soldato
I'm afraid users, specifically managers in top companies who haven't heard about AMD, will still be buying intel CPUs, and I don't see a change in the foreseable future.
If Ryzen 3000 was more aggressive with 3 12-core SKUs and 2 16-core SKUs, and priced competitively, then the likelihood about more users hearing about AMD offerings would be there.

Not that in this shape and order Ryzen 3000 is bad. It's good but not spectacular to significantly impact the status-quo.

You over estimate managers. For most companies it's all about the bottom line. If a large commercial supplier like HP, Dell etc are throwing out AMD systems cheaper than comparative Intel ones then the AMD ones will sell. Those who are actually in the know and research their buying decisions normally have specific use cases and requirements. They will buy what makes the most sense for them, and going forward that may well be AMD now that the IPC gap has been closed.

Caporegime

I've just been building network infrastructure in a large office stuffed with AMD powered Lenovo office PC's.

They will buy whatever Dell, HP, Lenovo............. have, they have no clue or interest in what's inside those boxes, so long as AMD can get their CPU's in those boxes office managers will buy them.

Man of Honour

I work as a VMware consultant for a large IT business. Whenever I suggest single socket EPYC based servers they look at me like all weird.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom