Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Associate
Ordered a 2GB Pi 4, as the 4 GB version wasn't in stock when I ordered it. Only plan on running PiHole on it, so wasn't worried about not getting the 4GB version at the moment. Equally, it seemed silly to buy a Pi 3B+.

Has anyone tried running Shinobi, an open source CCTV/NVR tool on a Pi? Wondering if it would mean I could just store the footage on a NAS as my cameras will write direct to a NAS, but keep the Pi for running the CCTV software?

https://shinobi.video/

Don
Installed OpenVPN on a Pi last night, it's stupendously easy.

http://www.pivpn.io/

The OpenVPN server on my Synolgoy has been playing up recently, first they changed the encryption method in a software update, then in the last week or so I've been unable to access my LAN from it. Ditched it last night for PiVPN, perfect.

Now my Pi3 does the following..

Unifi controller (Network controller)
PiHole (DNS ad blocker)
Wake on Lan server
PiVPN (OpenVPN server)

Soldato
Got mine today, as Feek said it is a hot little beast idling in the high 50's, the SOC starts throttling at 80C so i will probably end up with some type of cooler on it.

Last edited:
Don
Got mine today, as Feek said it is a hot little beast idling in the high 50's, the SOC starts throttling at 80C so i will probably end up with some type of cooler on it.

Flirc case when they come out. We use quite a lot of them at work, all have these cases and never crash, temps are great with them.

Commissario
Any hints would be great.
I don't see any reason to use anything other than the current version of Raspbian really. It's written for the Pi, it makes sense to me.

Flirc case when they come out.
Because mine is going to be mounted in a box, 33ft up in the air, a case just isn't needed or actually practical because of how it's fixed in place. That's why I'll look at a combined HSF. The Flirc cases are pretty though.

Commissario
The thermal tests are a little concerning
I didn't think they were bad actually - Yes, there's throttling when it gets up to temperature but it's only very brief until the temperature drops back. I can't imagine many tasks will drive it to a level where it's going to even hit that point. It took over four minutes at high load to start.

/edit - I'll still be adding cooling to mine though simply because of where it's going to be, ie in a sealed box, 33ft up in the air in direct sunlight!

Soldato
Any harm in using phone power supplys that have 'Turbo Power' or 'Faster Charging', the ones that do 5v 9v 12v etc?
I used one last night and the pi was red hot just checking youtube :eek:

Commissario
I wouldnt bother with the 1gb version unless it was for a specific task (pihole ect) as the extra ram is really what was needed.
I'm not sure I quite agree with that as it all depends what you're doing with it. If you want to use it as a desktop computer then yes, you're right but out of all the other Pis I've got (and I have plenty in use), lack of memory has never been an issue.

This one probably does the most and look at the memory usage graph.

pPzCDBF.png

hfpSrev.png

Associate
Well it does depend on the usage, 1gb is usually fine (although i have allocated 1.25gb to my pihole VMs) - but for a desktop experience the 4gb seems to make a big difference.
4gb, overclock (plus cooling) and a usb>sata boot volume - these things could be decent boxes for normal work.

Back
Top Bottom