How much would you pay for the next gen consoles?

Soldato
How big an SSD will come with the PS5? Last couple of console buys I've had to figure in upgrading the HDD given the paltry amount they usually come with. This time if part of their speed is going to rely on SSD usage, then that is going to add serious £££'s if they come with laughable storage by default. I'm guessing adding a much cheaper mechanical hard disc is not going to be optimal on these new consoles, unless they have some cache to SSD thing going on or some other halfway house.

Soldato
Part of me is really keen to get the ps5 at launch. However the sensible side of me, is thinking that there is no point buying one unless there are some must play exclusive games, as otherwise i can just play on my pc or ps4 pro.
Price of ~£500 is acceptable if the tech seems good value. Most of us are happy spending a lot on pc parts, so I don't see why this should be viewed differently.

Soldato
Seriously thinking of picking up Xbox with game pass and a new 4K/VRR/HDR compatible TV rather than build a new rig over the next couple of years.

Absolute zero value when buying GPUs now, especially if you want to buy into the high end.

This is true, gpu's are outrageously expensive now, and there had to be a point where historically pc gamers decide its not worth it.

Soldato
Bought my one X for £400 with a few games. So for a new console, £450 with a bundle would be the max. £500 or more and they can't wait.

Associate
I think the general consensus is that $399 won't be possible and therefore we are probably looking at £400-450+ boxes. I don't expect to need a huge bundle with either given backwards compatibility and Xbox Game Pass. As I have a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X atm I may hold off buying one of them although definitely will likely own both boxes within the first year. And I think the size of my 'backlog' will also impact whether I am 'day one' on either of the machines.

Soldato
How big an SSD will come with the PS5? Last couple of console buys I've had to figure in upgrading the HDD given the paltry amount they usually come with. This time if part of their speed is going to rely on SSD usage, then that is going to add serious £££'s if they come with laughable storage by default. I'm guessing adding a much cheaper mechanical hard disc is not going to be optimal on these new consoles, unless they have some cache to SSD thing going on or some other halfway house.

it will probably be no bigger than 1tb and dont be surprised if its 512gig or even 256gig, as the business practice seems to be to make launch models weak, so people buy again on refresh.

Caporegime
The SSD can’t be any less than 1TB. Most of the consoles are sold with that space now and the average consumer will be wondering why, if the space is smaller next gen. They won’t necessarily understand the difference in storage technologies.

Caporegime
Cheapest 1tb ssd is 100 notes alone. Let’s face it a fully ssd based Console isn’t going to be cheap.

That’s the price to you ordering one with all the packaging and casing. Buying 80 million of them and soldering the chips directly onto the motherboard will mean it’s way cheaper

Soldato
Think about the differential between that and a 1tb hard disk rather than the retail price ;).

A 1tb 2.5” hard disk is £40 retail, either way it’s over 60% more expensive and that cost will certainly be passed on.

Soldato
My guess is it will come with a 500GB ssd as standard for £500. With a 1TB SSD option for an extra £100. So £600 for what should be considered a minimum acceptable amount of storage. Would then have to hope there will be a method of caching games from an external HDD to the internal SSD, so at least you can keep a library of games on disk so you don't have to be deleting and re-downloading that often.

Then there is the possible complication of expecting you average non-techie punter being expected to know what a M.2 SSD is, and how this is going to drive the design of the console. I mean that the designers are probably anticipating your average computer illiterate to the scared at the sight of what is basically a bare chip board, compared to an actual sata ssd or hdd, and will design the console without an option to upgrade with an m.2 at all, i.e. no extra slot, or worse no accessible slot, if you were actually planning on splashing out as high capacity m.2's come down in price over the life of the console. Hopefully they won't be that dumb.

Associate
I'm at a point where I think I'm done with consoles aside from the Switch, I've used my Playstation more but at a push... I'm only really keeping it for Death Stranding. I've just become so accustomed to playing games on PC that I don't think I can go back, I hate playing FPS on console due to the controls.

Soldato
I'm at a point where I think I'm done with consoles aside from the Switch, I've used my Playstation more but at a push... I'm only really keeping it for Death Stranding. I've just become so accustomed to playing games on PC that I don't think I can go back, I hate playing FPS on console due to the controls.

Playing FF7 now on my PS4 to get the trophies (achievements), but I am really missing one aspect of PC gaming whilst playing it, which is modding, FF7 is a game that benefits hugely from mods, and I am feeling it playing it modless.

Soldato
No idea if there is any truth in it but read about different models of ps5, if so I'm guessing this will be to cater for 1080p and 4k.
Not a bad idea if you have a 1080p tv then a 4k console is of little intrest.
I'm planning on the best I can get, I've resigned myself to paying up to £600

Associate
I don't use my PS4 enough, so I'm unlikely to get the next gen day one, however I would like to experience PS5 VR at some point.

I have subbed to the Xbox live Gamepass thing for PC, this includes a load of Xbox games I'd like to play. I considered getting a standard Xbox one to make benefit of the pass, but given the next gen is supposed to be backwards compatible that might sway me to get one.

Cost wise I imagine they will be £4-600 with the gamepass thing I'd be happy to pay around £250-300 I think.

Back
Top Bottom