OCing a modded Xeon L5430 on a Gigabyte G41-MT-ES2L

Associate
Ok, I know that this CPU and its counterpart components (MOBO, RAM, etc.) are quite old and I'm overdue on upgrades. But I don't live in the UK and I don't live in a country in which I can easily upgrade in my current situation (college student on a tight budget).
I got a Xeon L5430 (2,66GHz) on the G41-MT-ES2L with 8Gb Kingston 1333MHz RAM (which as far as I know runs in 1066 because of the MOBO). I got a BIOS mod that unlocked every option in the MOBO (Voltages, timings and whatnot), I'm not an OC guru or whatever I've overclocked my old C2D to over 3,20GHz (2,93GHz) on an older MOBO with G31 chipset. But I can't get this CPU on this MOBO to go over 2,73GHz (342x8) if I go over 342 it doesn't POST and reboots with default settings.
I know nothing about RAM timings or anything related,but I'm guessing it has something to do with it and I'm still looking into it but I would very much appreciate any help!

P.S.: It could have something to do with the PSU as well (I have a stock 250W until friday, a 600W coolermaster "masterwatt lite" as of friday).

Appreciate the help!

Associate
OP
Ok, thanks, I've watched this and will try when I get back home. I'm getting a "newer" CPU next week though (a 1st gen i7 870) as far as I could tell people get this chip up to 4,00GHz pretty easily. I'll try out what I can with it. But it'll be better performance anyway, I'm guessing over 3,50GHz is a mid OC for it...
Thank you very much!
P.S.: I've been experiencing SERIOUS bottleneck with this older Xeon, only games I've managed to play at an "ok" framerate (in comparison to other CPUs with this GPU) have been Rainbow Six Siege (ultra with low AA and shadows at 900p, somewhat stable) and PUBG (low at 900p, with frame drops).. But I've seen some great games running at stable 60+ FPS with the i7 870 (2,93GHz) provided an overclock of at least 600MHz, but most people have it up to 4,00GHz no problem, so I'll see what I can get with this old guy. I sometimes use Passmark's benchmark system to have an estimate of performance, so the xeon gets around 3k points, the i7 gets 5,3k. But with a little math play i estimated that with an overclock to about 4GHz would get it over 6k. Which is about the performance of a 4th gen i5.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom