• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6700k running mega hot help

Associate
http://imgur.com/gallery/qEDZB9U

pc was running hot so changed CPU paste and it went good, highest temp was 63 after gaming all night, however tried to overclock, goofed, set everything to default now temps are absolutely insane, those screenshots are a couple of mins after booting up, I know CPU and paste is fine because it was running perfect for 2 weeks, guess this is lesson to not try overclock if your a idiot, any help would be much appreciated as I'm scared to game or do much while temps are this bad

Soldato
just looked at you temps and at 4ghz the recorded temp of 72 degrees seems ok, you have it under 100% load and have hyperthreading on, you only need to worry if the cpu hits above 90 degrees, as if it is at this or higher for long peroids of time it will damage it eventually.
dont forget the uk is amist of a mini heatwave so all hardware will run a few degrees warmer during the hot spell, my advice is to keep the room you have the pc in as cool as possible, as ambient temp has a lot to do with the cooling effectiveness of your hardware, if the room is hot the pc cant cool down effectively leading to hotter temps than yor use to.
a quick fix is to have the window open and have a osolating fan to keep the room cool, and dont be afraid to remove the side pannel of your pc as that will allow lots of air in which should cool it down abit also

Associate
OP
just looked at you temps and at 4ghz the recorded temp of 72 degrees seems ok, you have it under 100% load and have hyperthreading on, you only need to worry if the cpu hits above 90 degrees, as if it is at this or higher for long peroids of time it will damage it eventually.
dont forget the uk is amist of a mini heatwave so all hardware will run a few degrees warmer during the hot spell, my advice is to keep the room you have the pc in as cool as possible, as ambient temp has a lot to do with the cooling effectiveness of your hardware, if the room is hot the pc cant cool down effectively leading to hotter temps than yor use to.
a quick fix is to have the window open and have a osolating fan to keep the room cool, and dont be afraid to remove the side pannel of your pc as that will allow lots of air in which should cool it down abit also

is it normal for the cpu to hit 100% while idle at windows home screen?

Soldato
if your just getting into windows after booting then the cpu will be at 100% load for a short time as everything starts up, but after a miniute or 2 it should drop back to around 15-20% maybe lower.

is your cpu at 100% all the time?

Associate
OP
if your just getting into windows after booting then the cpu will be at 100% load for a short time as everything starts up, but after a miniute or 2 it should drop back to around 15-20% maybe lower.

is your cpu at 100% all the time?

not all the time but even easy to run games are maxing all 4 cores plus the 4 virtual ones as well, like now im playing battalion 1944, not a hard game to run and all cores are 100%

Soldato
are you on windows 10 version 1903?

you may find that your quad core may be reaching its limits now as the newer version of windows is quite the resourse hog to be fair cpu wise (ram isnt too bad), plus if you have downloaded the cpu patches which address the flaws present in all intel cpus for the last 10-15 years that will loose you performance up to 15% in some cases which is why the cpu is getting hammered and running hoter

Associate
http://imgur.com/gallery/qEDZB9U

pc was running hot so changed CPU paste and it went good, highest temp was 63 after gaming all night, however tried to overclock, goofed, set everything to default now temps are absolutely insane, those screenshots are a couple of mins after booting up, I know CPU and paste is fine because it was running perfect for 2 weeks, guess this is lesson to not try overclock if your a idiot, any help would be much appreciated as I'm scared to game or do much while temps are this bad

When the PC is idle, are CPU temps similar to this pic you linked? There's a 20°C difference in temps between cores at the instant the screenshot was taken. Even max and min temps show a trend of temp difference between cores.

This suggests to me that either:
  1. the TIM between CPU die and IHS is dried up and no longer functioning properly; or
  2. something is wrong with the way the cooler is mounted (e.g. incorrectly seated or poor thermal paste application).
Since you've already tried to re-apply thermal paste and re-attach cooler, my guess is it's probably due to point 1 above. If so, you can consider de-lidding the CPU and replacing the rubbish TIM with liquid metal.

If you don't like messing with components in this manner, you could try undervolting the CPU to ensure your CPU temps under load stay within reasonable limits.

I personally try to keep my CPU temps under 75°C max, but maybe I'm just 'wrapping it up in cotton wool' so to speak.

Soldato
I personally try to keep my CPU temps under 75°C max, but maybe I'm just 'wrapping it up in cotton wool' so to speak.
Yes. Yes you are. Massively.

CPU's are absolutely fine running right up at 95 degrees at the thermal throttle limit. No harm what so ever. Many stock laptops run like this from the factory. Thats why Intel put the limit there. It's a very safe limit. No actual damage comes of the CPU until way WAY above 100 degrees.

75 degrees is absolutely fine. Its as fine as 25 degrees.

Associate
Yes. Yes you are. Massively.

CPU's are absolutely fine running right up at 95 degrees at the thermal throttle limit. No harm what so ever. Many stock laptops run like this from the factory. Thats why Intel put the limit there. It's a very safe limit. No actual damage comes of the CPU until way WAY above 100 degrees.

75 degrees is absolutely fine. Its as fine as 25 degrees.

Yeah, I do tend to treat my PC components rather delicately.

Soldato
Run CPUz and check what voltage is going through your chip, I believe at stock it should be 1.2v.

Is your cooler still operating at the same fan speeds after you reset everything to default?

Soldato
Run CPUz and check what voltage is going through your chip, I believe at stock it should be 1.2v.

Is your cooler still operating at the same fan speeds after you reset everything to default?

in his imgur pic he has hwinfo open and the cores are around 72 degress, in the follwing pictures i belive his vcore is around 1.26 - 1.28v.
that could explain the high ish temps, but 72 degrees is nothing to worry about

Soldato
in his imgur pic he has hwinfo open and the cores are around 72 degress, in the follwing pictures i belive his vcore is around 1.26 - 1.28v.
that could explain the high ish temps, but 72 degrees is nothing to worry about
Didn't see the link :p but it looks like the motherboard is overvolting the CPU which is pretty standard for auto settings. I'd suggest setting a manual vcore of 1.2 would help a lot with the temperatures, maybe that had been done before and got wiped when it was reset resulting in a noticeable increase in temps.

Associate
OP
are you on windows 10 version 1903?

you may find that your quad core may be reaching its limits now as the newer version of windows is quite the resourse hog to be fair cpu wise (ram isnt too bad), plus if you have downloaded the cpu patches which address the flaws present in all intel cpus for the last 10-15 years that will loose you performance up to 15% in some cases which is why the cpu is getting hammered and running hoter
was this a recent update? temps only sucked last few days been fine for 2 weeks before that

Associate
OP

ye cpu cooler seems ok, I did set it too 1.2 but the mobo seems to be pushing the voltage higher than what I set it, could it be llc? I dont really understand this setting, from what understand lower = less voltage spikes? any negative or possible damage from trying to set it to level one?

Back
Top Bottom