• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3700x or 3800x

Associate
hi all you knowledgeable people, can any one tell me if there is any benefit to getting a 3800x over the 3700x. are there any benchmarks for the 3800x.

i will be using it for photo shop and gaming at 4k with a RTX 2080.

thanks for any replies

Associate
The 3800X will have a slightly higher clockspeed, but otherwise they are identical. Reviews should come soon. Bang for buck the 3700 but if you have the budget and don't mind spending it then the 3800.

Caporegime
The 3800X will have a slightly higher clockspeed, but otherwise they are identical. Reviews should come soon. Bang for buck the 3700 but if you have the budget and don't mind spending it then the 3800.

der8auer found little difference in his samples in terms of max clocks, so I’m not sure you get massively better silicon with the 3800X

Associate
There doesn't seem to be much between the two, so I would say that the 3700X represents better value. It's the one I ultimately settled on, and even if it's a little slower than the 3800X, it's not going to be by enough to make much appreciable difference.

Associate
so i could use the £60 difference towards something else instead
You should if you are working with a budget. There will be no visible difference if you were buying it for gaming and you would be better off if you were able to put the money towards a better GPU. Or just save the money and put it towards a 3900x upgrade in the future.

Soldato
I had the same quandary but went for the 3800X, a £60 saving would have been nice but the following swayed me;
AMD stating that the 3800X would be the Gamers chip out of the entire range.
The fact that I have a X470 board and just want something to plug and play at higher speeds rather than having to tweak to get to better performance.
Resale value when I come to upgrade should be higher.
Generally in life buying the best you can afford leads to fewer regrets down the line.

I'm not certain at the moment that the X570 platform, X470 BIOS's or Windows drivers are as good as they could be and think that as they mature we might see more difference in performance between the SKUs so right now there is not a lot of difference but that might change in the future.

Soldato
There doesn't seem to be much between the two, so I would say that the 3700X represents better value. It's the one I ultimately settled on, and even if it's a little slower than the 3800X, it's not going to be by enough to make much appreciable difference.

+1

If you enjoy getting the best bang for buck then you can't argue with the 3700X if you want 8 cores.
I don't personally feel the higher £/Mhz for the higher clocking chips is worthwhile.
I'd only consider the 3600, 3700X and 3900X depending on how many cores you want, everyone has their own opinion.

Soldato
I too would pick the 3800x over the 3700x. But it's personal preference. Smart money goes on the 3700x but for me personally £60 is worth while to know I am getting the most out of my upgrade.

If nothing else it will be better binned. IMC and sustained boost speeds.

Associate
Dont know for sure, but looks like they will both (3700x & 3800x) only clock to 4.3 all core OC. So 3700x would seem to be best bang for buck in that regard. Seems like 3900x can only mange 4.3 all core aswell.

Soldato
der8auer found little difference in his samples in terms of max clocks, so I’m not sure you get massively better silicon with the 3800X

Der8auer tests are flawed unfortunately by using the Asus board with non AMD approved BIOS, but ASUS made one. And is proven that seriously hampers the boost clocks.
I do get it, he will be out of business by not selling deliding tools if people buy AMD, however everyone on the comments sections points the issue and there was no response from him.

Associate
If you're juat going to be dropping it in, base clock on the 3800x is 300mhz higher and there's more headroom in the tdp for PBO to do its thing.

I've seen a few suggestions that the review sample boards may have had restricted bioses, so the overclocking picture may change once we've had a few updates.

Back
Top Bottom