Aorus/Gigabyte X570 - Buildzoid Ripple tests with AORUS & ASUS

Soldato
@Plec I went for the Taichi in the end. If it arrives I'll report back on any fan noise. Pairing it with a 3700X, £300 saving over my original plan which will go towards a modern monitor that has more than a DVI connection!
Hey @Troezar, nice one.

From reviews a sound decision re savings/compromise towards getting a better monitor. I would certainly prefer the 3700X over a 3900X, if resultant saving resulted in a modern panel to display the performance of my new hardware. The 3700X could prove to be the best compromise between longevity/performance for price, too, so win win. Best of luck with the build, and appreciate the offer of feed back.

*I wouldn't read too much into that review regarding fan noise. It didn't go into any specifics about their settings or even if the chipset required the fan speed that they manually chose to set it at - so hopefully, it's a none event in an ambiguous review (regarding fan).

Soldato
According to this it looks like Gigabyte still need to add silent profiles for the chipset fan like some other vendors already have out of the box.

Kzpn7Xa.png

I don't think it should be that hard to do? Unless it turns out that the fans on these boards are inefficient and need to be run at max. That there is no user fan control (yet?) might be problematic as well.

Associate
chipset fans, they really only should start up when use the PCI-E 4.0 for m.2s.. don't need a fan going on normal 3.0 use
I know the Gigabyte x570 ITX Chipset fan plugs into system fan 2 slot so you could
unplug it, or plug/ mod a more better silent 90mm fan or should be fan profiles
done by the bios fan control or software.

64C Idle with fan running 100% o dear glad I waited
O my god that sound like being in a saw mill

Last edited:
Soldato
OC3D reported the fan on the master was fine. *shrug"

Not looking good for Tom's ears going by the feedback on Reddit. He also failed to mention whether it had fan control (apparently not) although he did mention it runs over 2,000 RPM all the time unlike some other boards which turn the fan off when idling. The thing is, all of these X570 fans (whether some are quieter than others) are going to be noisy at full 12v. So without a means to lower RPM it could be nasty.

floydhwung

74 points·15 hours ago

I have the gigabyte Aorus X570 Master.

It is LOUD.

Buris

14 points·11 hours ago

Can confirm, I have the master, it’s terrible... start tweeting Gigabyte until the offer a BIOS update although I’m seriously considering returning this.

It’s great, but the noise is actually unbearable to me. Makes it very difficult to even think.

This isn’t an issue with temps as far as I can tell. The first thing I did was mount an intake fan pointing directly on the chipset fan, it didn’t whine down at all, I then took a 20” fan and pointed it directly onto the chipset, the chipset fan could STILL be heard over the 20” fan.

It’s set to max for some reason, it has to be a BIOS issue

SlamminMuff69

8 points·10 hours ago

I picked up the Aorus X570 Ultra today. Chipset fan also loud and whiny.

level 2
OmegaMordred

3 points·14 hours ago

Can you alter its speed? Change profile?

level 3
floydhwung

5 points·14 hours ago

Not that I can see in BIOS.

level 3
Kupkaked

4 points·9 hours ago

Confirming, cannot find anything on Aorus Master to change chipset fan, its horrible. Going to return if they don't fix it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/caaj57/we_need_chipset_fan_reviews/

Caporegime
Ok, so it looks like I've got to update my bios on the ultra when it arrives tomorrow.

Am I right in thinking it's as simple as downloading bios to blank usb flash drive, switch PC off but leave plugged in. Insert drive into Q Flash port and press Q Flash button on mobo. Wait until LED stops flashing. Done?

Soldato
The Aorus extreme is lovely looking board but the prices of higher end boards are ridiculous this time round. Might as well wait for thread ripper boards at this price range. £750 for high end board is nuts. Last year high end stuff was £250-£300 now its £500-£800 range, board manufacturer want in on apple and nvidia prices bonanza.

If i was going to choose something of mid range boards most likely be Asrock Taichi, seems like best value of all the boards. But its also one of the ugliest.

Associate
The Aorus extreme is lovely looking board but the prices of higher end boards are ridiculous this time round. Might as well wait for thread ripper boards at this price range. £750 for high end board is nuts. Last year high end stuff was £250-£300 now its £500-£800 range, board manufacturer want in on apple and nvidia prices bonanza.

If i was going to choose something of mid range boards most likely be Asrock Taichi, seems like best value of all the boards. But its also one of the ugliest.

I would have ended up ordering one yesterday but there is no stock in the uk and OCUK have even delisted it for sale.
Ended up with the MSI prestige X570 Creation. Has all the features I wanted including the right angle ATX connector the only downside is it has semi passive cooling rather than the full passive cooling on the Xtreme.

Soldato
semi passive cooling rather than the full passive cooling on the Xtreme.
Nothing wrong with semi-passive if it stays passive without any PCIe 4 kit attached - it should, i hope. Would really like to know your findings regarding this if you get the time.

My concern is that they've cut so much of the PCH heatsink away, to accommodate active cooling, that the fan may have to kick in to compensate, even in normal operation regardless of components attached. Hoping this doesn't prove to be the case.

I don't think it should be that hard to do? Unless it turns out that the fans on these boards are inefficient and need to be run at max. That there is no user fan control (yet?) might be problematic as well.
Agian, hoping this proves to be normal AMD/board manufacturer teething issues - but feel it should have been addressed before launch but as mentioned it's AMD's assumed position for launches, part of the fun... :)

At least they get the opportunity to breathe with AMD reviews - rather than being tied to chairs, in a sterile room, with a fixed remit of test criteria stuffed up their butts like INTEL launches.

@orbitalwalsh - I admit i'm having regret not buying the Gigabyte x470 gaming 7 at sub £200; but not for my son but for me! Especially after reading write-ups on x470s coupled with 3000 chips, this morning, having performance parity with x570's -with PBO and 3600MHz+ memory. So' i'm going to sit and watch for a couple of weeks and either buy an x570 and nerf the fan if within tolerance, get an X470 (your recommendation :p) or sit tight and wait for the b550s and get the best quality release on launch (or give son x470 and get B550 to play with - best of both...).

There's an Auros AMA at 10:00 on reddit (1800 GMT). Going to to try get there and ask about chipset fans.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/c7xfyk/ama_with_the_aorus_team_aorus_x570_motherboards/
Cheers, will take a look.

Soldato
Fingers crossed it only a matter of time before aftermarket chipset coolers or Waterblocks are developed. There's clearly mounting holes in the board so someone will take advantage.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok, so it looks like I've got to update my bios on the ultra when it arrives tomorrow.

Am I right in thinking it's as simple as downloading bios to blank usb flash drive, switch PC off but leave plugged in. Insert drive into Q Flash port and press Q Flash button on mobo. Wait until LED stops flashing. Done?
What's the BIOS update for? Gone for the same board.

Back
Top Bottom