• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Rant ? Intel Fan? Ryzen Truth ?

Associate
First of all let me say that I am glad to see new Ryzens coming out and they indeed look like a solid chips especially 12 and 16 cores looks excellent. If I would build a system now, it would be the one capable of running 16 core chip with placeholder chip for now.

With that being said, I don't understand what's going on with the reviewers. Either they are shilling AMD hard or just are clueless, let me explain.

When principle technologies came out with the Intel review everybody jumped do defend that the AMD wasn't tested as they should be, not that mode, not that cooler etc.

So I don't understand what's going on now with themselves.

All of them as one are saying that new Ryzens are running pretty much as fast as it can straight out of the box. And there's no overclocking headroom. Hmm, alright fair enough. Second as "Hardware Unboxed" demonstrated it doesn't really matter what ram are you using 3200 C14 or 3600 C16 as it will run the same. Which makes me think that even if Ryzen can do 3600 it benefits as much from lower latency so 3200 cl14 will do just fine.

So if you are letting AMD boost up by itself as fast as it will go and add a 3200 cl14 ram then it will be reaching its ceilings.

Fair enough.

THEN WHY THE HELL YOU ARE COMPARING IT TO STOCK INTEL CHIPS ? Especially 9700k running at 4.6 all cores at stock. Seriously guys.

So we have established that AMD are being tested at their peak performance.

Let jump on to the side of Intel.

First of all, there is one group of people on the internet who say : ram speed or latency doesn't matter for Intel. Oh yes it does ! Maybe not in all instances but it definitely does !

Hardware unboxed made a video about this titled : Is Fast RAM A Waste? Unleashing the Core i9-9900K with DDR4-4000 / Link Here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VElMNPXJtuA

So to test Intel near to it's limits like you are doing with AMD it should at least have 4000 CL 17 ram. That's point number one.

Second point, 9900k and 9700k should be tested at 5Ghz synced on all cores. I am running 5.2 and only reason I am not running 5.3 is because my 240 AIO can't cool it. Alright I am not saying you should test with 5.2 but the golden average 5 Ghz synced on all cores should be a default testing method.

Third point. Uncore or Core cache ratio, I can guarantee you that most of these reviewers are testing intel chips with 4300 mhz cache ratio, for example mine runs at 4900 mhz, again I am not requesting that tests have to be done with 4900 mhz, but 4700 mhz should be doable for all chips.

So there. If you want to truly test Intel chips, Sync all cores at 5 Ghz, set core cache ratio to 4700mhz and use at least 4000 Mhz Cas latency 17 17 17 ram kit.
Now they are on equal grounds. Both maxed out.

So let's do few examples.

But first of all, i know how good AMD is, and if you are building PC now for productivity, get an AMD it's not about that but let me show you something in gaming.

This is the Ryzen 7 and 9 review it shows that intel is 17% faster.
3KNRqVJ.jpg

But what if you give Intel 4000 Mhz ram instead of 3200.
LiL5HqB.jpg
It's suddenly not 17% faster, but more like 30 % faster. Know what I mean ?
vuyr992.jpg

Let's do another one, this time for Battlefield 5
Here's the Ryzen review:
bve9M46.jpg
And here is the DDR 4000 review
1KRCmiQ.jpg
Lets put them together.
pqErwwg.jpg
Here we go again, Intel minimum are Ryzens average.

There was more reviews done but strange brigade is well optimised and didn't show big improvements and Hitman was done on DX 11 not DX 12 so I can't compare those.

Last thing I want to say is: there's another group of people, who say : yeah but I game on 1440p so it doesn't matter. Yea... for now, what do you think will happen when 3080Ti comes out.

That's all I got say.

ninezerofive

P.S. I am very happy with my 9700k, but the future is 12 and 16 core.

Last edited:
Associate
Because they are comparing the tech out of the box like for like?

Sure you can overclock the K series, but you'll need a bigger cooler to do that, that costs more. So where do you draw the line? At an arbitrary value that gives the K the biggest performance improvement VS cost? Doesn't sound very fair.

Soldato
So uhh yeah about those Intel security flaws patches? Just how many reviews were done with them? hmmmm i wonder....

This is the biggest troll thread on these forums

Associate
OP
Because they are comparing the tech out of the box like for like?

Sure you can overclock the K series, but you'll need a bigger cooler to do that, that costs more. So where do you draw the line? At an arbitrary value that gives the K the biggest performance improvement VS cost? Doesn't sound very fair.

You can't do that, one is meant to be as powerful as it could out of the box, and second is nerfed on purpose to fit the TDP. I didn't include cost in this equation it's not about that, more of an testing methodology done.

And finally I don't think 9900k is a good chip.

Soldato
9/10 for rant effort, OP.

So uhh yeah about those Intel security flaws patches? Just how many reviews were done with them? hmmmm i wonder....

This is the biggest troll thread on these forums

Intel security flaw patches are rarely taken into consideration. But then again, are the end users even applying them?

Zen2 has had a rocky release (no surprise). Needs time to settle with new AGESA and BIOS releases and then onto tackling the AMD's boost power constraints. This makes reviews almost pointless at this stage.

As with all products; Take all reviews with a pinch of salt, gather their information and opinions as well as end use cases and form your own.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
8a680f7b5972e3c5ab45838b65d4eff2.png

Soldato
Good post ninezerofive.

Although one thing is that the Ryzens may not have been tested at their peak performance as Anandtech showed today with a bios update for an MSI Ace board, gaining 200MHz extra and hitting 4.5GHz.

Associate
OP
Good post ninezerofive.

Although one thing is that the Ryzens may not have been tested at their peak performance as Anandtech showed today with a bios update for an MSI Ace board, gaining 200MHz extra and hitting 4.5GHz.

yeah I saw post but I was already halfway through with this so thought " what the hell" :)

Associate
There are reviewers out there testing with the prism cooler but because intel give you no cooler then the 9900k gets a cooler that's 100 which is also a bs unfair advantage. Take these issues up with the reviewers?

Soldato
9/10 for rant effort, OP.

Intel security flaw patches are rarely taken into consideration. But then again, are the end users even applying them?

Zen2 has had a rocky release (no surprise). Needs time to settle with new AGESA and BIOS releases and then onto tackling the AMD's boost power constraints. This makes reviews almost pointless at this stage.

Oh i agree, i bought the 3800x and x570 Taichi without seeing a single review, but your right, the reviews are all over the place, BIOS's not boosting the chips correctly, chips not hitting their stated clocks etc...

Im going to check what BIOS the board is running when it arrives and then ask on the net for current x570 Taichi owners which BIOS actually works the best and allows the chips to boost correctly lol.

Problem is every reviewer handles how they review differently, the best reviews are coming to forums like these and speaking to actual owners and getting some numbers from them, much better picture of what your are likely to expect, rather than some random techtuber who doesnt want to disclose the full details and ends up applying wrong BIOS etc and getting guff results.

Also anyone saying AMD didnt specify to the reviewers a strict review process, how do they know? have they seem the AMD review kit? id bet that wasnt the case, they made the hardware available and sent them guidelines for sure, i can imagine they told them what BIOS etc to use as well.

Soldato
The only two scenarios that make sense to test, IMO, is stock (i.e. no manual overclock, motherboard settings like PBO and MCE enabled as long as it's stated, highest RAM frequency supported out of the box), and "reasonable maximums", i.e. 4.9 GHz all core for i9-9900K, adding faster RAM, etc.

Associate
OP
There are reviewers out there testing with the prism cooler but because intel give you no cooler then the 9900k gets a cooler that's 100 which is also a bs unfair advantage. Take these issues up with the reviewers?

Personally I don't think anything should be tested with the included cooler, but with dedicated aftermarket system that they use on all CPU's they test. While I agree that purchasing a cooler is additional cost, not everybody is doing it, most people reuse their old coolers. I have 2, AIO that I use, and older air cooler that I keep around just in case. And if I bought Ryzen now on the contrary I would be disappointed that they included that cooler, give me an option to buy a cheaper CPU without a cooler, you know what I mean ?

Soldato
They are both the same, if you compare the second image, then it states at 3200 it's 124 fps, same as a picture one, so I assume it's the same quality.

Uhhh no, HUB Quality is the settings Hardware Unboxed use to find the best balance between Graphic Fidelity and FPS count... Watch their video on The Division 2, you can drastically improve your FPS over the stock "Ultra" settings without gimping the look of the game by altering a few settings.

So HUB Quality is NOT the same as High / Ultra etc etc, its their own set of settings unique to the game to give what they perceive as the best balance of fps and graphical fidelity.

Back
Top Bottom