Premier league now on Sky, BT and Amazon

Soldato
Price hikes are happening anyway.

And no, it's not competition at all.

Competition means more than one company can compete for business making the same product.

When only one company can show any one game, that's not competition. If you want to see game X, you do not have a choice of providers.

Ergo competition is actually zero. Non-existent.

More than one company ARE competing to buy the rights for each "tranche" of games

That is competition whether we like it or not

My point is Having one company monopolies is actually cheaper then several companies offering.

Highly unlikely it would be cheaper

If Sky or BT especially (as they are the more recognised names in this area currently) had all 380 Prem games - the monthly charges would sky rocket, and it really wouldn't be a surprise to see this being 3* the price it is now (as a customer could pay or lump it from the corporations point of view - enough would pay it to get every game to make it worthwhile)

If it was Amazon or whoever - the consumer may get one 3 year tv deal, if you are lucky 2 *3 year tv deals at cut price, but be assured it would ramp up massively once they became known in this area of the market

Last edited:
Soldato
More than one company ARE competing to buy the rights for each "tranche" of games

Highly unlikely it would be cheaper

If Sky or BT especially (as they are the more recognised names in this area currently) had all 380 Prem games - the monthly charges would sky rocket, and it really wouldn't be a surprise to see this being 3* the price it is now (as a customer could pay or lump it from the corporations point of view - enough would pay it to get every game to make it worthwhile)

If it was Amazon or whoever - the consumer may get one 3 year tv deal, if you are lucky 2 *3 year tv deals at cut price, but be assured it would ramp up massively once they became known in this area of the market
very likely. look at the price when sky had all the games vs now.

Its fact that Sky was like what? £50 or £60 a month? vs that plus amazon plus BT sport...

Also its not competition for "us" consumers. its competition for just the big companies. We consumes getting shafted. Wont be long until someone like netflix comes into play for yet another subscription needed to watch games..

Don

I think you've misunderstood the point @FoxEye was making Frank. EU laws dictated that all rights to the PL couldn't go to one company, the idea being that viewers could then choose between multiple broadcasters as to where they'd watch their football. The reality is that isn't of any benefit to your typical PL viewer - they're not happy watching some PL football, they want to watch all PL football available to them. The point @FoxEye is making is that the current situation is only competitive to and benefits one party, the PL - broadcasters are being forced to pay a premium which in turn forces subscription costs up for us and of course if we want to watch all football available, we have to subscribe to 2+ broadcasters. Genuine competition, from a viewers point of view, would be if we could choose between multiple broadcasters for the same games - this will force broadcasters to be more competitive in their pricing.

Soldato
I think you've misunderstood the point @FoxEye was making Frank. EU laws dictated that all rights to the PL couldn't go to one company, the idea being that viewers could then choose between multiple broadcasters as to where they'd watch their football. The reality is that isn't of any benefit to your typical PL viewer - they're not happy watching some PL football, they want to watch all PL football available to them. The point @FoxEye is making is that the current situation is only competitive to and benefits one party, the PL - broadcasters are being forced to pay a premium which in turn forces subscription costs up for us and of course if we want to watch all football available, we have to subscribe to 2+ broadcasters. Genuine competition, from a viewers point of view, would be if we could choose between multiple broadcasters for the same games - this will force broadcasters to be more competitive in their pricing.
Well said. This is what's harming us fans really. The prices

Soldato
There are other ways to watch it and not be hit in the pocket so hard, I hate that I can't just get a Football package not even just a sports package, its the same old rouse with broadband and a phone line!!

Caporegime
There are other ways to watch it and not be hit in the pocket so hard, I hate that I can't just get a Football package not even just a sports package, its the same old rouse with broadband and a phone line!!
You can get just Sky Sports Premier League but do need Entertainment as well.

Soldato
If you are a bt broadband customer, football via bt is easy cheaper than sky ever was. From my perspective it has been fantastic. I would never have considered subscribing to sky, because a) murdoch & b) it was a colossal rip off. I now get to watch some premiere league and all the european football for a relatively small fee.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

If you are a bt broadband customer, football via bt is easy cheaper than sky ever was. From my perspective it has been fantastic. I would never have considered subscribing to sky, because a) murdoch & b) it was a colossal rip off. I now get to watch some premiere league and all the european football for a relatively small fee.

Not to mention, if you have someones BT Sport login, you can watch it on a whole host of different devices! Its even readily available as an app for Samsung smart TV's (and I hope other TV's in the future), apple tv, ps4, xbox etc etc...

Soldato
very likely. look at the price when sky had all the games vs now.

Its fact that Sky was like what? £50 or £60 a month? vs that plus amazon plus BT sport...

Also its not competition for "us" consumers. its competition for just the big companies. We consumes getting shafted. Wont be long until someone like netflix comes into play for yet another subscription needed to watch games..

Which is more like £180 / month now a days - given how many tv deals and price of those have rocketed up since Sky had every game (not to mention the investment in the technology both Sky and BT have made, this also has to be paid for somehow)

Not at all convinced this would work for the whole of the PL though

Don't get me wrong for a select few games that are high profile there would be high demand - but for a lot of the games there would be very little to no demand at all - especially when you consider that a lot would be simultaneously shown with other games.

Not only would we be stuck in SD with occasional HD broadcasts in all likelihood, but also fewer cameras because the background investment just wouldn't have happened.

Its also highly unlikely the likes of Hazard, Ozil, RvP , etc etc etc would have played in this country , because the clubs wouldn't have been getting the same level of cash from the TV deals for the last decade or two.

Exactly the same argument as to why clubs don't get to film / show all their own games - because it would literally bankrupt some clubs who would see very small viewing figures apart from those huge fixtures a few times a year - It makes sense to bundle the whole thing together.

Last edited:
Don
Not at all convinced this would work for the whole of the PL though.

It wouldn't work and this is why the PL would never do it, unless forced - the PL look after themselves and nobody else. Even prior to EU laws forcing the PL to sell to multiple broadcasters they already fragmented the rights when it became clear that nobody could compete with Sky for the whole package - by splitting the rights into smaller bundles it gave other broadcasters a chance to buy a package or 2 which in turn forced Sky into bidding premium prices on every package. Allowing multiple broadcasters to buy rights to the same packages will only devalue them to broadcasters and drive the overall value down.

Anyway, the point wasn't whether it would happen but what really is competition, from a consumer pov, in regards to TV rights. The generic EU version of competition suits the PL down to the ground but stiffs the consumer.

Associate
In Ireland Sky have just revealed a new sky extra pack that will give you every premier league game for the first time. This is combining BT Sports and Premier sports channels. I don't see why they can't do it here.

Soldato
Because they cannot show 3pm kick offs on a Saturday under the agreement, it will come eventually I believe as there is so much demand for it.

Ireland having them is like the Middle East channels having them, it's not going to impact on the attendances and that was what the main issue was when Sky 1st started showing games in the 90s

Soldato
It will happen as let's be honest sky, bt etc they all want to cut out streaming sources as well.

I don't know the stats but I bet the most streamed games are the 15:00 ones since in UK there is no legal way to watch them if your not able to go to the game itself.

The whole it would impact attendence was always a load of ********, prices of tickets impacts that nothing else

Man of Honour
Its also highly unlikely the likes of Hazard, Ozil, RvP , etc etc etc would have played in this country , because the clubs wouldn't have been getting the same level of cash from the TV deals for the last decade or two

I think I get the point you are making but I don't think RvP would have been out of reach; he cost under 3m and doubt he was on mega wages to begin with as a squad player. Not really a big shift from deals already being done in the early 90s with the likes of Keane and Shearer well over 3m. Adjusting for inflation (real inflation, not football inflation) I don't think his transfer was anything particularly out of the ordinary, Arsenal paid 2.5m for Ian Wright before the EPL even existed and had other million pound players signed from foreign leagues like Limpar etc.

Soldato
This might be the best place to ask the question. But can you cast BT sport from a mobile to another device or is it locked down like on Sky Sports?

I'm looking at a mobile contract which comes with BT sports but they say i can only use it on the device connected to the SIM rather than installing the Ipad/TV app. Am wondering whether i could stream it to my TV to get around that.

EDIT - Ignore, found a page on their website which says casting isn't available for this method of subscription.

Back
Top Bottom