Diplomatic Leak - ambassador to US about Trump

Soldato
I haven't seen the contents of the leak personally. But from what I gather its normal diplomatic conversations. The ambassador should be loyal to the country he is working for, in this case UK. The conversations should be private and whoever leaked them needs to be found.

I don't think its in the interest of the UK government to have them out in public either.

I don't think we particularly have a special relationship with the US. It seems to be a relationship of mutually using each other.

Soldato
Are such confidential diplomatic messages considered as classified material under the provisions under the Official Secrets Act?

Back in the dim and distant past when I had to sign it, I sat in a room for an hour being educated as to just how utterly and irredeemably ****ed I would be if I was found to have breached the conditions of said Act.

Soldato
OP
What they discuss in face to face meetings or calls is one thing, but it's basics 101 to never write down anything that you would consider damaging to international relations. It's not just leaks, it's risk of interception, accidental loss, bugging etc.

There seems to be a new culture where people send emails and electronic memos with things they would be horrified to disclose in public. I see it all the time in the legal field. When you're operating at the level he was you take zero risks.
You're completely wrong.

What you describe as "basics 101" is utterly unworkable. If it were, there'd be no need for intelligence agencies, so why would every developed nation spend as much on them as they do?

Soldato
You're completely wrong.

What you describe as "basics 101" is utterly unworkable. If it were, there'd be no need for intelligence agencies, so why would every developed nation spend as much on them as they do?

Well, obviously a career diplomat would know less about how the various diplomatic communications are supposed to be sent than someone on the internet and would therefore breach protocol for years.

It's also highly plausible that no one else in the diplomatic community mentioned that he shouldn't be doing what he was doing and thought "Oh it's only good old Kim, it's just his way."

Soldato
its a stitch up by the Banks/Oakeshot/Farage brexit group to get rid of the current sensible ambassador and work to replace them with someone who will massage trumps ego for a future trade deal
they will sell it along the lines of "getting mates rates" if we send someone who is a Trump super fun pal

if we sack a respected and experienced professional diplomat and replace them at trumps request with a sycophantic "i am not a professional expert diplomat but is well good at business innit" type - then we really will just be bending over for a massive shafting - we are going to be really desperate for that trade deal as well if we go no deal on Brexit - cant imagine people would have liked it if we let the EU pick our negotiator?

its just so embarrassing and subservient if we pander to trump in this way, it would undermine our diplomats, the civil service, the government etc
Look at how May dealt with DT - hand holding and state visits and he throws her under the bus constantly - we need to stand up to him not bend over

Amazing how much damage they are willing to inflict on the UK just to get friendly with Trump

Soldato
He wont get sacked, reassigned maybe. These internal reports arent supposed to be made public, none of it is his fault.

Associate
Well, obviously a career diplomat would know less about how the various diplomatic communications are supposed to be sent than someone on the internet and would therefore breach protocol for years.

It's also highly plausible that no one else in the diplomatic community mentioned that he shouldn't be doing what he was doing and thought "Oh it's only good old Kim, it's just his way."

You mean the diplomat who has sent things that have been deemed that innappropriate and have caused an enormous international relations scandal?

You're completely wrong.

Confidential information is sent via what's known as STRAP documents. Even then these are sanitised of opinion and contain what's known as 5x5x5 graded information.

Something as sensitive as what has been leaked would usually be covered under STRAP handling conditions.

Basic memos going back and forth should not contain sensitive information.

Soldato
Trump tweeting about him again, seems to have struck a nerve....

What they discuss in face to face meetings or calls is one thing, but it's basics 101 to never write down anything that you would consider damaging to international relations. It's not just leaks, it's risk of interception, accidental loss, bugging etc.

There seems to be a new culture where people send emails and electronic memos with things they would be horrified to disclose in public. I see it all the time in the legal field. When you're operating at the level he was you take zero risks.

This is official government to government business, would be absolute madness for this not to be recorded in some way.

Yes, when I said ‘it benefitted absolutely nobody’ I really meant that no ‘good’ has come of it and only dubious people have benefitted.

Will be interesting to see if they can link it back to anyone. You'd think they'd be in deep **** if they do

Are such confidential diplomatic messages considered as classified material under the provisions under the Official Secrets Act?

Should be if it isn't.

Associate

It would depend on the security level attributed and whether it was marked STRAP secret or top secret. The latter two would most certainly be covered under the OSA.

If it's marked official sensitive then it's generally only covered by data protection legalisation. The dissemination circle which has been described as 100s would suggest it was only marked official standard, or not even marked at all.

Caporegime
It would depend on the security level attributed and whether it was marked STRAP secret or top secret. The latter two would most certainly be covered under the OSA.

If it's marked official sensitive then it's generally only covered by data protection legalisation. The dissemination circle which has been described as 100s would suggest it was only marked official standard, or not even marked at all.
Within the FCO, the OSA covers:

Restricted
Confidential
Secret
Top secret
STRAP

Associate
The thing that gets me is.... what a *****, **** stirring thing to report. It benefited absolutely nobody. Well, not the public anyway...

Unfortunately the ambassador is probably going to have to stand down. What a ‘scoop’. Bunch of ****s.

This will be the parting gift of May and her cabinet for their replacements before ending their political days on the back benches.

Back
Top Bottom