1 Day in New York... What to see?

Soldato
Most people have said all the main attractions already but if you are into space, there is one of the space shuttles moored on an aircraft carrier in the Hudson (I think it was the test vehicle which for the flight/landing). I think they have a nuclear sub and a concord was well as all the usual fighters and choppers if that is your thing. Its about a 15 min walk from time square.

Soldato
Most people have said all the main attractions already but if you are into space, there is one of the space shuttles moored on an aircraft carrier in the Hudson (I think it was the test vehicle which for the flight/landing). I think they have a nuclear sub and a concord was well as all the usual fighters and choppers if that is your thing. Its about a 15 min walk from time square.

yeah - that was a great day out - kids loved it, I loved it!

Soldato
I know it's too late to reply to the OP but here's my advice for anyone else reading this.

Myself and a few friends went to Manhattan in Feb and we averaged 3 "main/big" attractions per day due to travelling time, time at attraction/queueing etc alongside 2-3 other smaller attractions like visiting a famous food shop or Times Square etc (30-45min in/out, close to other attractions). We found that doing 1 attraction per morning, afternoon & evening was just about enough, each taking 2-4 hours from 8am onwards not including travel time plus food breaks etc which left us a few hours at night for drinks from 7-8pm onwards after our evening meal.

However there are quite a few attractions close together which don't need that much time, so Times Square for example is really small and takes 20-30 mins to look around with the Hard Rock, ABC TV studios, Rockefeller all within 1-10 minutes travel, whilst at the opposite end the 9/11 memorial/museum took us around 5 hours to go around and really soak in (surprised us just how big all the exhibits are underground) plus nearly an hour travel and the Statue of Liberty ferry takes about 4 hours as well if you climb up the statue to the base (plus it's 1hr away in travel time) so take that in mind.

Over the space of 4.5 days/4 nights, from a hotel 5 mins from Times square (so all rough travel times from there via subway/walking), I saw the following (in no order) -

• Times Square (smaller than it looks - 30 mins + 5mins travel)
  • Hard Rock (typical Hard Rock, could be anywhere - 30mins + 5mins travel)
  • Rockefeller at night (awesome view of city lit up - 1hr + 10mins travel)
  • Rockefeller at day (crap view of central park now are several new building is in the way, city was a little meh during the day - 1hr + 10mins travel)
  • Empire State at day (great views, very windy, very small at the top so cramped viewing and long queue's - 1-2hrs + 30/45mins travel)
  • Grand Central Station (smaller than it looks - 15mins + 30mins travel)
  • Natural History Museum (poor for me, unless you like "fake" dinosaurs which were mainly plastic with 10 real bones next to >500 fake ones - 3hrs + 30mins travel)
  • USS Intrepid & Nuke Sub (ex-RAF so loved it - 4-5hrs + 15mins travel)
  • Brooklyn Bridge (walked to halfway point just to say "done that", a bit meh TBH - 1hr + 45mins travel)
  • 9/11 Memorial/Museum (fantastic but didn't get around the Oculus or WTC1 due to time - 5hrs + 45mins travel)
  • Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (Statue was great but busy and the climb needs fitness, Ellis was meh for a Brit and can be ditched to save a hour - 4hrs + 1hr travel)
  • China Town (loved it as a foodie!!! - 2-3hrs inc eating + 45mins travel)
  • Little Italy (same as China town, awesome!!!) - 2-3 hrs inc eating + 45mins travel)
  • Madame Tussauds (OK at best, a bit meh in places - 2hrs + 5mins travel)
  • Central Park (walked from bottom to Natural History, took 1hr and looked OK but in winter it isn't great TBH - 1hr + 15min travel)

Plus about a dozen small foodie/tourist nik-naks shops like a famous Cheesecake shop, Time Square M&M store, best Hot Dog in NY, best brekkie in NY, hot dog from a Central Park cart, presents for kids from Disney store, tourist nik-naks from street shops etc as we walked around with each only taking a few minutes (say less than 15mins).

Knowing what I do now, my personal opinion would be that I would ditch Grand Central, Rockefeller in Day, Brooklyn Bridge, Tussauds, Central Park (in winter), Ellis Island and the Natural History Museum and spend that gained time around WTC1/Oculus instead, as thats the only attraction that we couldn't do due to a lack of time.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the suggestions.

So I went up the rock last night after work. This city is truly beautiful at night from so high up... What a view so thanks for that suggestion.

Today I started by getting the subway down to the WTC and spent a good hour or so wandering around. I then walked to and over the Brooklyn bridge and took a walk around Dumbo and sat in a park for a bit. Then got the subway up to canal Street and went over to the ghost busters fire station just for a picture. I then thought it would be a great idea to walk up to and along the high line. Just over an hour later I arrived at the high line and stopped for lunch (pancakes and chicken) at a place called bubbleys iirc. Strolled along the high line until I got to the vessel. Hopped on the subway heading for 81st steet and got on the wrong train and ended up at 125th street. 20 minutes later I am at the museum... Currently sat outside and can't be bothered to go in as it's so lovely out. Going to take a stroll back down through central park and head back to my hotel for a shower and to pack up. Going to head out again later but not sure where yet.

Associate
Pretty much everything has been covered by everyone else but I’ll add a couple more:

The Planetarium in the Natural History Museum is a breathtaking experience and it’s pretty cheap too. I’ve never experienced anything like it.

Go to Levain Bakery and sample (arguably) the best cookies on the planet. Incredible.

Caporegime
I know it's too late to reply to the OP but here's my advice for anyone else reading this.

Myself and a few friends went to Manhattan in Feb and we averaged 3 "main/big" attractions per day due to travelling time, time at attraction/queueing etc alongside 2-3 other smaller attractions like visiting a famous food shop or Times Square etc (30-45min in/out, close to other attractions). We found that doing 1 attraction per morning, afternoon & evening was just about enough, each taking 2-4 hours from 8am onwards not including travel time plus food breaks etc which left us a few hours at night for drinks from 7-8pm onwards after our evening meal.

However there are quite a few attractions close together which don't need that much time, so Times Square for example is really small and takes 20-30 mins to look around with the Hard Rock, ABC TV studios, Rockefeller all within 1-10 minutes travel, whilst at the opposite end the 9/11 memorial/museum took us around 5 hours to go around and really soak in (surprised us just how big all the exhibits are underground) plus nearly an hour travel and the Statue of Liberty ferry takes about 4 hours as well if you climb up the statue to the base (plus it's 1hr away in travel time) so take that in mind.

Over the space of 4.5 days/4 nights, from a hotel 5 mins from Times square (so all rough travel times from there via subway/walking), I saw the following (in no order) -

• Times Square (smaller than it looks - 30 mins + 5mins travel)
  • Hard Rock (typical Hard Rock, could be anywhere - 30mins + 5mins travel)
  • Rockefeller at night (awesome view of city lit up - 1hr + 10mins travel)
  • Rockefeller at day (crap view of central park now are several new building is in the way, city was a little meh during the day - 1hr + 10mins travel)
  • Empire State at day (great views, very windy, very small at the top so cramped viewing and long queue's - 1-2hrs + 30/45mins travel)
  • Grand Central Station (smaller than it looks - 15mins + 30mins travel)
  • Natural History Museum (poor for me, unless you like "fake" dinosaurs which were mainly plastic with 10 real bones next to >500 fake ones - 3hrs + 30mins travel)
  • USS Intrepid & Nuke Sub (ex-RAF so loved it - 4-5hrs + 15mins travel)
  • Brooklyn Bridge (walked to halfway point just to say "done that", a bit meh TBH - 1hr + 45mins travel)
  • 9/11 Memorial/Museum (fantastic but didn't get around the Oculus or WTC1 due to time - 5hrs + 45mins travel)
  • Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (Statue was great but busy and the climb needs fitness, Ellis was meh for a Brit and can be ditched to save a hour - 4hrs + 1hr travel)
  • China Town (loved it as a foodie!!! - 2-3hrs inc eating + 45mins travel)
  • Little Italy (same as China town, awesome!!!) - 2-3 hrs inc eating + 45mins travel)
  • Madame Tussauds (OK at best, a bit meh in places - 2hrs + 5mins travel)
  • Central Park (walked from bottom to Natural History, took 1hr and looked OK but in winter it isn't great TBH - 1hr + 15min travel)

Plus about a dozen small foodie/tourist nik-naks shops like a famous Cheesecake shop, Time Square M&M store, best Hot Dog in NY, best brekkie in NY, hot dog from a Central Park cart, presents for kids from Disney store, tourist nik-naks from street shops etc as we walked around with each only taking a few minutes (say less than 15mins).

Knowing what I do now, my personal opinion would be that I would ditch Grand Central, Rockefeller in Day, Brooklyn Bridge, Tussauds, Central Park (in winter), Ellis Island and the Natural History Museum and spend that gained time around WTC1/Oculus instead, as thats the only attraction that we couldn't do due to a lack of time.
This is the good stuff. Great effort post, ianh.

Soldato
We just walked through it, never visited it on its own per se.

The highline was a real treat surprise for me. We were staying really close to it so gave it a walk one sunny day. It's a really nice route and there are some nice views along the way.

Top tip from me - if you're going up the Empire State - just get the expensive VIP tickets (or whatever they're called). We saved probably a few hours of queuing by getting them.

Associate
The Intrepid Air and Space Museum is great, as is the Hayden Planetarium.

One thing I've not seen suggested yet is a sporting event. When i was there many years ago i went to Yankee Stadium to watch a game, not into baseball at all , but it was great to experience Americans doing sportsing.

As i was there for a week i had more time and the thing i enjoyed the most i think was just wandering though different areas, hanging out at a coffee shop, random bars, walking through the park.

Soldato
this thread has got me hankering for a return trip, I loved the place. walked my feet off literally all over Manhattan, visiting ****loads of movie locations and stumbling across some stunning buildings on the way. would like to go after a snowfall, could get some great winter pics there I think.

Associate
One thing I've not seen suggested yet is a sporting event. When i was there many years ago i went to Yankee Stadium to watch a game, not into baseball at all , but it was great to experience Americans doing sportsing.

The week we went the Yankees were out of town so we went to watch the Mets instead. Absolutely loved it. My advice if you don't mind standing and wandering around is buy one of the cheap seats to get you into the park then you can stand pretty much wherever you want so long as it's not blocking anyone.

Soldato
if you do the Highline in warm weather there's a gorgeous ice-cream shop on Gansevoort, the Ample Hills Creamery, part of Bubby's I think, or just next to?

Back
Top Bottom