• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5700XT Hitting 2.3GHz+ - TomsHW-DE

Soldato
For those that are asking.

Yes I used the powerplay tables to bypass the 5700 lock.

Yes am using the stock 5700 cooler with max temps around 70c around 3500-4000rpm

There are many powerplay tables but I suggest the 50% power target one and not the 90% as you'll end up nuking the GPU.

As for gains, I saw around a 20fps improvement in some games not all of course. But I feel am around 2070 overclocked/2070s levels with a 5700.

Any other questions can give me a poke.

Soldato
OP

Yes am using the stock 5700 cooler with max temps around 70c around 3500-4000rpm

There are many powerplay tables but I suggest the 50% power target one and not the 90% as you'll end up nuking the GPU.

As for gains, I saw around a 20fps improvement in some games not all of course. But I feel am around 2070 overclocked/2070s levels with a 5700.

Certainly looks good for the RDNA architecture in general and AIB cards based on NAvi 10.

Soldato

We gonna need a proper reviewer to pick this up and do it.

The results will be interesting to say the least....

Associate

You sir are a gent and a scholar.

Is that at games that hit 100 fps or lower beforehand?

How loud is the 5700 blower fan when gaming?

Associate
The reason being, Nvidia splashes the cash, with nice big fat brown envelopes going out to major YT channels and review sites. :p

I think in some youtubers genuinely don't know how to get the best out of it. Steve from Hardwareunboxed tried overclocking Vega but couldn't get much out of it as he didn't undervolt it and maybe he didn't increase the power limit.

On the other hand HardwareNexus got the Vega 56 hitting 2070 levels with power mods.

Soldato
The reason being, Nvidia splashes the cash, with nice big fat brown envelopes going out to major YT channels and review sites. :p

No actually they had to sign a contract back in 2017, if they want from Nvidia to supply them with cards.

I think in some youtubers genuinely don't know how to get the best out of it. Steve from Hardwareunboxed tried overclocking Vega but couldn't get much out of it as he didn't undervolt it and maybe he didn't increase the power limit.

On the other hand HardwareNexus got the Vega 56 hitting 2070 levels with power mods.

Guru3d on his reviews, put 1250mv floor voltage on the Vega 64 and was claiming it was hot and loud, showing worse performance than stock!!!!!! He never revisited the card regardless everyone point at him the error of his method.
Also the significant majority just use MSI AB, raising power limits and overclocks.

Similarly on 5700XT. Only 1 came with undervolting showing 10% perf boost, 14C drop in temps without any other change. Even the german guy who watercooled the 5700XT hasn't touched wattman to undervolt.

Soldato
Doesn't the power tables disprove that the 5700 is locked? If it was locked in the unmodifiable bios, it wouldn't be able to push past 1850 anyway.

It is locked for those that don't understand how power play works. You can't go past 1850mhz on msi or wattman without the reg edit

Associate
The 2070S outperforms the 5700XT is older games. The cards are within 5-10%% of each other in the majority of games. The 2080 is twice the price of an 5700XT right? Are you telling me you would not go for a card half the price but offers 90% of the performance.

The current 2080 will drop in price when the 2080S is released, which itself will come to market for £650.

That will offer 2080ti like performance, which is well worth the extra over the 5700XT.

The 2080 will be available around the £500 mark, so the price of a decent after market 5700XT would be creeping up towards that.....although it still wouldn't match the performance.

Soldato
The 2080S will be around £650 for the lower end models, and the 2080 will have dropped in price, both better options than the 5700XT if you're after the horsepower.
2080S has already $700 listing on NV shop. Don't expect it anywhere near lower than £700 in UK, and 2080 is EOL.

The current 2080 will drop in price when the 2080S is released, which itself will come to market for £650.

That will offer 2080ti like performance, which is well worth the extra over the 5700XT.

The 2080 will be available around the £500 mark, so the price of a decent after market 5700XT would be creeping up towards that.....although it still wouldn't match the performance.

And do not speculate about 2080S performance. The gap between 2080 and 2080Ti is vast. A 10% increase doesn't get it nowhere near 2080Ti.

Associate
It is locked for those that don't understand how power play works. You can't go past 1850mhz on msi or wattman without the reg edit

I'm wondering whether they could just update afterburner to enable higher frequency overclocks, or if a driver update will enable higher freqs in the next few weeks or so. With Fiji and Vega, some cards couldn't OC much until driver and overclocking software updates were made. Technically if it was completely locked in the bios, it shouldn't be able to go over that frequency no matter what you change in the OS.

I don't believe AMD would have much of a reason to just hold back the clocks. They didn't do so in the past when the lower SKUs were able to OC to the perf level of the higher SKUs. 290/390 was able to OC to 290X/390X perf levels, Fury was able to OC to Fury X perf levels and Vega 56 was able to get to Vega 64 levels with an OC, even with a locked BIOS. Holding back the clocks wouldn't make much sense since they would want to sell as many of these as possible to take away marketshare from Nvidia. Their Navi strategy is similar to their Ryzen strategy which included selling all CPUs unlocked.

Back
Top Bottom