• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Is it truly at idle? Even with something like web browser minimised it is still doing something. Just as an example, I was seeing voltages down at 0.455-0.8 on the desktop with nothing happening on the system and temps around the 27-32c depending on the ambient at the time.

Well, I have the same motherboard as that guy and my 3600 is at 40-50c with high voltage even when doing nothing and CPU utilization is 4% or whatever.

Maybe it is normal for the unique design of Ryzen 2, I don't know, but doesn't feel great and having my CPU cooler constantly revving up and down when I'm basically doing nothing is incredibly annoying.

Soldato
Well, I have the same motherboard as that guy and my 3600 is at 40-50c with high voltage even when doing nothing and CPU utilization is 4% or whatever.

Maybe it is normal for the unique design of Ryzen 2, I don't know, but doesn't feel great and having my CPU cooler constantly revving up and down when I'm basically doing nothing is incredibly annoying.

It's not normal, I've tested the CPU in an MSI B450 Pro Carbon board, and a couple of others and it still was not behaving like you are reporting.

DId you do a clean Windows 1903 install, with the latest AMD chipset drives, and have everything set to default in the BIOS/Ryzen Master?

Associate
I keep adding a 3700x and Pro Carbon to my basket but keep hesitating due to these reports of high temps/voltages at idle, like is it likely to cause any issues?

Associate
Will do ..testing on stock coolers and noctua n15 will post my findings later this evening ..

I have a B450M Mortar (& 3700X) and after a whole evening of messing about with OCing, Firmware and Benchmarking I've some thoughts :D

Your cooler doesn't matter to be honest. The Ryzen power plans that come wth the chipset drivers are extremely sensitive and aggressive, they're often boosting to high frequencies for very small amounts of time. The voltage will drop for an all core load.

Ryzen thinks a small background task needs a burst of speed and supplies it, this is obervable in CPU-Z. Though it doesn't show you when the core goes back to sleep.

This isn't enough time to cool the die and before the CPU cooler has even begun to ramp up the frequency has dropped. This is why it's all over the place.

I have a Noctua NH-U12S and I've after much messing about I've just disabled the cooling fan until temps reach 65 degrees. The temperature and frequency fluctuations seem to be exactly the same, doesn't matter if the fan is 0% or 100%! See picture below.

It all seems part and parcel of how Ryzen 3000 operates. If you're worried about voltage put Windows Power Saver on and watch it sit at 0.9 volts, it'll boost all core but it'll take longer to get there.

PvkXHWf.png

Last edited:
Permabanned
Well gus yeaterday Iw moticed that IHS is waayy off feom being flat on.my 3900x. When i was swapping ram foe 8pack one took.water block off to have a look and liquid metal was making xontact at 60% of surface. Had ro add more rhan I normally do and rempa went down 6c.....

If it was not for warranty i would lap this IHS.

Ofc less iaaue with normal TIM like aqua or keyonout. But love working with T1000 tim as im after every bit of cooling power I can get.

In.my case beat conyaxt was around IO die and bottom chiplet.

Soldato
This is the board i am looking at whats is it like as i have alwyas bought asus but they seem even more pricey ? can you hear the fan on the motherboard. Also what memory did you go for and chip

thanks
3900x and I have some 8pack 3200Mhz memory.

Can't say I've heard the motherboard fan yet but I'm using the wraith prism cooler and it's bloody noisy! :)

Associate
Good stuff. I swear by the 8pack 3200 c14. Never given me a moment's trouble and should comfortably do 3600 c16 (same bin apparently).

I have same 3200CL14 RAM with zero issues at stock and seems fine to run at 3600CL16.. and thats on my 2700X.

I run it at 3200CL14 as Zen+ likes to run faster on the lower latency, as we all know :)

Cant imagine it not easily doing 3600CL16 on Ryzen 3xxx chips.

Back
Top Bottom