der8auer - The X570 chipset doesn't need active cooling.

Soldato
der8aur's testing is all valid but you forget that vendors design to a wide set of parameters. Just because 90% of situations won't require active cooling on the chipset does not mean you can ignore the other 10% fringe cases. Think of it like engine design for cars where the fuel quality across the world varies significantly. They engine will be tuned to accommodate all such fuel quality variance which leaves a less than optimal engine output for a lot of people but caters for the poor fuel quality and won't result in a buggered engine.

It's the same for the cooling on the chipset. Many people could probably passively cool it but not EVERYONE will be able to. Think of some nutter running a SFF case with poor airflow in a hot country. It just means those of us who can guarantee or otherwise ensure proper chipset temperatures will have to work around it.

That being said the cooling solution could have been better and some vendors are working on BIOS updates to kill the fan when not required.

Associate
Motherboard manufacturers don't design boards so they operate silently on Der8aurs open test bench at low noise levels.

If Der8aur wants a passively cooled chipset for his x570 with nothing plugged into it, he can mod it himself. Which is exactly what he's done. I don't see what he is complaining about.

Try doing a test in an average cheap case with poor airflow, high dust levels and stock coolers.

They also need to make these boards to not only work today, but in 3, 4, 5 years time when much faster devices are in our machines.

Soldato
I don't recall Northbridge fans being a major reliability issue back in the early-mid 2000s :confused:
Chipset fans in many Asus A8N variants were garbage.
I myself had it wear out twice in like two years.
Don't remember anymore if I even installed third buzzaw gotten from Asus support, or just straight away went for third party heatsink.

Man of Honour
der8aur's testing is all valid but you forget that vendors design to a wide set of parameters. Just because 90% of situations won't require active cooling on the chipset does not mean you can ignore the other 10% fringe cases. Think of it like engine design for cars where the fuel quality across the world varies significantly. They engine will be tuned to accommodate all such fuel quality variance which leaves a less than optimal engine output for a lot of people but caters for the poor fuel quality and won't result in a buggered engine.

It's the same for the cooling on the chipset. Many people could probably passively cool it but not EVERYONE will be able to. Think of some nutter running a SFF case with poor airflow in a hot country. It just means those of us who can guarantee or otherwise ensure proper chipset temperatures will have to work around it.

That being said the cooling solution could have been better and some vendors are working on BIOS updates to kill the fan when not required.

Same with capacitors on things like GPUs - you can remove half the capacitors on a GPU and it will still work fine in a nominal operating environment but stick them on and you can significantly widen the range of environments the GPU functions normally in.

Soldato
Looking at temps in my x570 board, the chipset hits 60 degrees, although I've not actually looked to see if the fan is running or not. That's just doing gaming as well.

Associate
After receiving my Asus X570-f my feeling was: wtf? Active cooling, but the block where the fan is attached to is thin and small. Don't know about other boards, but mine is silly. A 1mm base plus half dozen fins. A classic all cooper heatsink like the from enzotech such as the SLF-1 or even the passive ones, would be a much more appropriate solution. But hey, no LED.

Associate
Soldato
People worry about the noise of these things, but if you set fan curves, i would hazard a guess that you can make pretty much any pc quiet(ish). Playing last night on a not very demanding game (kotor 2:p), i couldn't hear any noise from my pc, and i'd have thought that the loading on my chipset would be pretty consistent.

Back
Top Bottom