WLTP has hit

Man of Honour
If you have just one car - with 2 power train choices, at maximum you’d end up doing 2 interpolation groups, still are a lot of tests to get the data to interpolate (high, low, 14 degC, DPF regen).
So long as certain criteria are met, cars with common power train architectures fall in same families.

Soldato
Ze Germans are crying

Been trying to run a few quotes through carwow for a D5 A8 and noticed on 1st July that all the options were missing

Odd I thought
Contacted carwow and a couple of dealers and they were equally confused. So obviously had to figure it out myself. I'm pretty sure now the every option has to be tested for WLTP testing method that all the options have been removed.
I noticed another trim level has been added - "Vorsprung". This adds heated front and rear seats, climate seats, extended leather etc etc list goes on. This seems to have replaced the options so you basically can't have any options anymore. You have to buy the sport, S line, black edition or vorsprung. Too late to order using the old method, now it's trim level or go home.

Now the germans have had to do a KIA/Hyundai and smash everything into trim levels instead

Sorry to hijack your thread bud, but Im interested to know why you want to go for an A8?

Originally I was going to go for an Arteon, then I thought, nah Ill go A5, then I saw an A7 under leasing with Carwow is actually cheaper than the A5? :confused: (same specs etc).

And then I thought... perhaps the A7 is a bit too sporty looking and go with the A6.

As you can see, Im a bit of a mess on this at the moment :)

Soldato
Manufacturers have limits set to achieve the EU wide targets. The link i posted indeed has the details.

From 2020 come the limits that will actually change behaviour.

I know because I am on the team at a major OEM that is working out how we will achieve them. This is the first time they've been a real consideration. So my point about the market changing dramatically next year still stands.

There's a big difference between 130g/km and c.95g/km!

Soldato
Man of Honour
are there any pure petrol/diesel that can achieve this with proposed new NEDC test ? or it's impossible given the Cd/rolling resistance minimum energy needs.

Saw the actual speed profiles for the wltp test in wiki entry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwide_Harmonised_Light_Vehicles_Test_Procedure
about 1/3 of it's 23Km at 90Km/hr not sure I get there on a commute
Depends on the car, but the fleet figures are averages, so that’s why you’re going to be seeing more and more PHEV and BEV cars to bring those averages down with 0g/km and circa 50g/km PHEVs.
Or you do a FIAT and just but all fleet compliance from Tesla and not have to bother! Cheaper to pay tesla than pay to develop your own BEV and pay fines!

Soldato
are there any pure petrol/diesel that can achieve this with proposed new NEDC test ?

It is very difficult indeed to hit the target without electrification, as DaveyD says below.

Depends on the car, but the fleet figures are averages, so that’s why you’re going to be seeing more and more PHEV and BEV cars to bring those averages down with 0g/km and circa 50g/km PHEVs.

One counter-intuitive aspect is that we will see manufacturers selling fewer small cars. While it might seem that smaller cars emit less CO2 (which they do, generally), the emissions technology and/or electrification requirements mean that these smaller cars cant be sold profitably.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Sorry to hijack your thread bud, but Im interested to know why you want to go for an A8?

Originally I was going to go for an Arteon, then I thought, nah Ill go A5, then I saw an A7 under leasing with Carwow is actually cheaper than the A5? :confused: (same specs etc).

And then I thought... perhaps the A7 is a bit too sporty looking and go with the A6.

As you can see, Im a bit of a mess on this at the moment :)
For my dad really, he has a D4 A8 so is looking to change to a D5. Some serious discounts to be had with the A8 as they are not particularly popular

Soldato
If other cities start implementing the congestion charge like london this could soon make anything other than 100% electric prohibitive too,
seems that starts there in 2021, when they also extend the ULEZ(!EURO6) zone with its separate charge ... so the car market will forcibly change.
[I had not realised you can get reductions on ulez as a resident https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge/discounts-and-exemptions?intcmp=2133 ...
whether they continue after 2021 too]

Back
Top Bottom