• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
That does seem to be the common opinion so far!

I wonder if this might change once bios updates settle down and some of these boost oddities are resolved (if ever)..
Mine hits the advertised 4.5Ghz. I can get all cores 4.45Ghz stable easily, Im going to check later on to go higher. In my opinion its worth it.

TrM

TrM

Associate
What stress test you use for stability testing ?? As i said i sont think emtra 200mhz on single core is worth volts and temps that are getinf pumped in to.cpu lol

I ran ptime 95 anf aida 64 for stress trsting and for bemchmarking ive run 3dmark trsts cinibemch r15 and r20 and geekbech 3 and 4 .

In the cinibemch thread i seem to on the liwer end of songle core score but really high on multicore core score even with 3200mh ram
That does seem to be the common opinion so far!

I wonder if this might change once bios updates settle down and some of these boost oddities are resolved (if ever)..

Tbh the way i ser it the 3700x and 3800x really are for 2 differnt people amd with 2 cpu in same branding like 3600 and 3600x and 3700x and 3800x anyone with a bit of knowhow knows that the cou have the same linits like oc and mhz etc .

But not everyone is confidant to oc or evrn mess with the bios etc to get the best out of a pc. Imagine your mom and dad buying a pc prebuilt one and 3700x based system and 3800x based system next to each other you dad see the spec sheet and only a small differnce the 3800k look better then. But for most of us geeks and nerds who will play with everything the 3700x is just better in every way but someone who wants plug and play the 3800x is just bettrr

Associate
I ran ptime 95 anf aida 64 for stress trsting and for bemchmarking ive run 3dmark trsts cinibemch r15 and r20 and geekbech 3 and 4 .

In the cinibemch thread i seem to on the liwer end of songle core score but really high on multicore core score even with 3200mh ram

Tbh the way i ser it the 3700x and 3800x really are for 2 differnt people amd with 2 cpu in same branding like 3600 and 3600x and 3700x and 3800x anyone with a bit of knowhow knows that the cou have the same linits like oc and mhz etc .

But not everyone is confidant to oc or evrn mess with the bios etc to get the best out of a pc. Imagine your mom and dad buying a pc prebuilt one and 3700x based system and 3800x based system next to each other you dad see the spec sheet and only a small differnce the 3800k look better then. But for most of us geeks and nerds who will play with everything the 3700x is just better in every way but someone who wants plug and play the 3800x is just bettrr
Not really, I personally got a 3800X because it is a better binned 3700X. I can get 4.45Ghz all cores at 1.4V while most 3700X need the same voltage to get 4.3ghz all core. As the platform matures the 3800X difference will probably be bigger due to the higher TDP.

Associate
finished my build at 3am last night. custom water cooler with fans and pump connected to pwm headers. when it gets to like 38dg everything spins up and sounds like a 747 lol. i guess i need to manually set pwm speeds for temps. Had to go to bed so didn't touch anything yet, will have another play after work

idle was between 34-40dg

8cVPMNw.jpg

krIUW82.jpg

Last edited:
Associate

Generally I agree with this, unless of course the 3800X is a better binned chip in which case it will generally always OC a bit higher, whether thats worth it is a personal thing I guess.

Associate
Not really, I personally got a 3800X because it is a better binned 3700X. I can get 4.45Ghz all cores at 1.4V while most 3700X need the same voltage to get 4.3ghz all core. As the platform matures the 3800X difference will probably be bigger due to the higher TDP.

This is what I'm mostly curious about. If we see the majority of people OC'ing their 3700X's to around the same speeds as Oc'd 3800X then obviously its not worth it. But if there is more headroom on those 3800X parts then we need to decide if its enough to warrant the premium.

I guess it may take a couple of months (and numerous AGESA/bios updates) before we can definitively confirm this..

Soldato
With Intel being "better for gaming" etc, I think for people who upgrade every year or so and don't really care about cash the 9700K is a good choice for gaming, but if you're going to keep the CPU/board for 3+ years then the extra cores of the 3700x or 3900x are almost certainly going to work out better.

The 9900K seems harder to justify, as games aren't going to need more than 8 high clocked cores within 2 years, the 9700K at the same clock is basically the same in gaming, and the 3900x beats it in every other way.

with 3900x workloads for adobe etc 9900k has been put to rest . 9700k is the neat top end gamer with r5 3600 being the mainstream gamers choice

nice to see choice for once ! again expect AMD to drop price with new intel launch , hopefully they will increase R&D spending like years before with extra profit

Associate
Generally I agree with this, unless of course the 3800X is a better binned chip in which case it will generally always OC a bit higher, whether thats worth it is a personal thing I guess.

This is just my opinion. Everyday now it is getting clearer that the higher binned versions are hitting the advertised boost clocks. I do not know what AMD's marketing was thinking. Are they about to jebait intel this time. Why not provide the reviewers your best products at the onset cos i know those extra 100-200MHZ would have closed the gap further. Most reviewers only got up to 4.3GHz during testing. Ryzen may have not achieved (iwas gonna use the word gotten - haha) the gaming crown but would have closed the gap on the game where intel was ahead by 16% and the overall by a lesser percentage instead of 6%.

On the @brightside229, i think that rig looks sick!

Last edited:
Associate
Mine hits the advertised 4.5Ghz. I can get all cores 4.45Ghz stable easily, Im going to check later on to go higher. In my opinion its worth it.
Mine too. I wasn’t expecting it from what I’ve read. I was quite shocked to see it hit 4.5 on all cores. Maybe we won the silicon lottery?

I certainly didn’t win it with my last chip. The 1600 (it wouldn’t budge past 3.75).

Associate
quick question regarding argb. My fractal fans daisy chain together - 6 in total and then connect to fractals annoying controller. can i plug the chain directly in mobo argb header? i assume not due to power draw issues? have not tried in case it blows the header

Associate
Mine too. I wasn’t expecting it from what I’ve read. I was quite shocked to see it hit 4.5 on all cores. Maybe we won the silicon lottery?

I certainly didn’t win it with my last chip. The 1600 (it wouldn’t budge past 3.75).

Ah damn you guys, you're definately pushing me towards the 3800X at the moment :D

Definately going to hold off for a while though and let the dust settle. Well probably, maybe.......

Soldato
finished my build at 3am last night. custom water cooler with fans and pump connected to pwm headers. when it gets to like 38dg everything spins up and sounds like a 747 lol. i guess i need to manually set pwm speeds for temps. Had to go to bed so didn't touch anything yet, will have another play after work

idle was between 34-40dg

Nice build. Same case and mobo as mine :) All my fans run off a Corsair Commander Pro thingy, can set fan profiles per application which is nice. So it's silent during normal use, and slightly less silent when gaming but still very quiet.

8bl81Jd.jpg

Associate
Nice build. Same case and mobo as mine :) All my fans run off a Corsair Commander Pro thingy, can set fan profiles per application which is nice. So it's silent during normal use, and slightly less silent when gaming but still very quiet.

looking good! cant wait to get a new gfx card and add a waterblock looks a lot better with one!

My hard lines are not perfect but was my first attempt so im fairly happy! will perfect them on next teardown

got the exact same ram too :p

Associate
This is what I'm mostly curious about. If we see the majority of people OC'ing their 3700X's to around the same speeds as Oc'd 3800X then obviously its not worth it. But if there is more headroom on those 3800X parts then we need to decide if its enough to warrant the premium.

I guess it may take a couple of months (and numerous AGESA/bios updates) before we can definitively confirm this..

The other point to remember is that binning can work the other way, does the 3800x remove the poorer overclocking samples that would make the 3700x bin? My 3600 (under custom water) cannot do 4.4ghz on any single core without a BSOD right up to 1.475v. This piece of silicon simply could not be binned as a 3600x, therefore anyone buying a 3600x will always have better silicon than this particular cpu. Are there 3600's that could have been binned as a 3600x? The answer is clearly yes from results published. Could all of them be binned as a 3600x? No. If the same is true at 3700x/3800x level then paying the (small) premium for a guarantee of not receiving a disappointing overclocker compared to others with "good" 3700x samples may not be such a bad purchase afterall.

TLDR - I persuaded myself to buy the 3800x over the 3700x because my 3600 sucks and won't match 3600x clocks even when watercooled.

Associate
The other point to remember is that binning can work the other way, does the 3800x remove the poorer overclocking samples that would make the 3700x bin? My 3600 (under custom water) cannot do 4.4ghz on any single core without a BSOD right up to 1.475v. This piece of silicon simply could not be binned as a 3600x, therefore anyone buying a 3600x will always have better silicon than this particular cpu. Are there 3600's that could have been binned as a 3600x? The answer is clearly yes from results published. Could all of them be binned as a 3600x? No. If the same is true at 3700x/3800x level then paying the (small) premium for a guarantee of not receiving a disappointing overclocker compared to others with "good" 3700x samples may not be such a bad purchase afterall.

TLDR - I persuaded myself to buy the 3800x over the 3700x because my 3600 sucks and won't match 3600x clocks even when watercooled.

You make a convincing argument :D

Soldato
@Journey not sure if you've been grabbing corsair 3600hz kit direct from them but seems pricing will increase due to pricing error.......

heads up to others looking for cheapest 3600hz kit - it wont be cheap for long

On their website? Whats the part number? I'm currently buying parts for my build and never done any ram tinkering.

Edit: VENGEANCE LPX stuff?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom