Section 3

Associate
hi bit of a long one by need advice.

I had to divert down country lanes due to a road closure. I’d gone past my passing place, saw an oncoming car so obviously went on the brakes. I even went up the verge to try and make space for said car. Basically we’d clipped wing mirrors. I was on my own so decided to carry on up the road to somewhere I felt was a safe place to stop when the car followed me flashing their lights (I waved me hands to show i was intending to pull over)
Me and the lady had disagreed with who was to blame so in the end I gave her my number and told her to call me and we would sort out the cost of damage. She called me 10 mins after I gave her my details, I told her a couple of days was fine for her to get back to me and left it at that. She’s reported me to the police for careless driving. I have paid for the damaged wing mirror (£41) and now have the police wanting to know all my details and give a statement. I’m now worried I’m going to end up getting fined, points, court even though I thought I did the right thing and paid for it to be fixed. Does anyone have any help on this matter? Or help with what’s best to put on the statement? Thanks in advance

Soldato
So you were overtaking? Or was it basically a single lane road? Not sure what you mean by ‘you’d gone past your passing place’ - if you were overtaking then met another car I believe you’ll be found to be in the wrong and could possibly be considered dangerous driving. If it was a single lane road and you did your best to allow space then once explained to the police they’ll likely no longer be interested.

Associate
OP
It was a single track road with passing places but I had already gone past mine when I had seen her. That’s when I went on my brakes and slowly went up the verge to allow room

Soldato
the police arent going to be interested when they hear the details

so you clipped wing mirrors - at what speed?
you pulled over up the road in a safe and swapped details
you paid for the damage which totalled £41

this is going no where - just reply with the facts

(unless you were doing 60mph up a single track lane, jumped on the brakes when you saw the car and as part of skidding up the verge you hit it. I'd report you for that as well for stupid driving but it'll probably still go nowhere unless she had a cam in the car)

Associate
OP
It was a 60 but as I didn’t know the road well I was doing 30. Purely cos I don’t like not knowing where I am or how the roads are. Her wing mirror had built in indicators and that’s what broke. Damage on mine was very small paint scuff. Think she was more ****** cos I didn’t stop on the single track road and went to someone’s drive that I felt was a safer option being a single track

Associate
OP
I keep thinking back to it and I personally don’t believe she slowed or attempted to stop for me to be able to stop enough to reverse back

Associate
OP
I just don’t want the stress of it all that’s why I just said I’d pay for the damage but now feel like that’s made me look guilty

Soldato
If I'm understanding right, it was a country lane with various places were you can pull in for a car to go past?

So you drove past one and then you saw her driving towards you? You then pulled on to the grass verge so she could get past and thats when the wing mirrors clipped?

If this is the case then I don't really see why you should have paid anything. Nobody as right of way if its a single track road. Usually one person reverses back to a passing place, but thats down to practicality. Did she go on the grass verge on her side? Who actually drove in to who? Was you stopped on the grass verge and she carried on and hit the wing mirror?

How did she turn around so fast to be following you? Did she turn around in a passing space on the same road? If so, I'd be wondering if that was illegal.

Soldato
To save any hassle. Pretty understandable, if a touch naive.

I don’t think that’s understandable. There’d be no hassle if he had employed a backbone as the incident was not his fault...

By paying he’s basically admitted fault. That’s how insurers and the police will see it.

Soldato
A dash cam would have come in handy - This is just the sort of thing they are useful for.

Years ago I was in works Transit driving along a straight narrow road and saw a Volvo belting towards me - I slowed down and then stopped with nearside wheels just on the grass - The woman then realised I wasn't going to move over and she swerved onto grass verge passing me at about 30mph - unfortunately for her there was a drainage ditch across the verge and she hit this and became air born - The two kids on the back seat hit the headlining but she just carried on - Late for school - I hate those people.

Soldato
Not saying this is the OP but the amount of people who think NSL on a tiny country road think that means driving at 60mph is safe is crazy.

She probably thinks you were going too quick but it will be her word against yours and with the small amount of damage I can't see them doing anything other than a slow down a bit next time chat.

Back
Top Bottom