• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
looking good! cant wait to get a new gfx card and add a waterblock looks a lot better with one!

My hard lines are not perfect but was my first attempt so im fairly happy! will perfect them on next teardown

got the exact same ram too :p

You have good taste in components then :p This is my first WC build too, I knew it had to be hardline. It wasn't too bad, a few pipes were a bit tricky, especially the CPU one with 3 bends. Got there in the end though.

This is how it should be. Watercool both. Lovely.

Definitely, I think WC makes the biggest impact to the GPU, load temps are literally 35C lower!

Im I the only one that went for black components and do a stealthy build instead of RBG?

I think mine should be called "Project: I wasn't going to RGB it", because I really wasn't going for RGB at all haha!

Soldato
@Journey not sure if you've been grabbing corsair 3600hz kit direct from them but seems pricing will increase due to pricing error.......

heads up to others looking for cheapest 3600hz kit - it wont be cheap for long

If you are talking about the C18 16GB one, then it is that sort of price a few places. I'd think that if anything it is being cleared through as a newer version of it with different IC's may be around. So far nothing can touch the E-Die for value though, especially if you want higher clocks with decent but not amazing latency.

Associate
Ah damn you guys, you're definately pushing me towards the 3800X at the moment :D

Definately going to hold off for a while though and let the dust settle. Well probably, maybe.......
3700x pbo manual , +100 MHz, motherboard limits, xfr auto. Spikes to 4.5 , would be nice for sure to run cinebench sc on it :p , but it keeps switching, downvolting + going to sleep. Can't complain about how ryzen manages tasks in games though consistently was getting better results in Division 2 benchmark on auto (pbo,xfr -on/off) than 4.4 GHz allcore.
KBnhKMe.png

Associate
3700x pbo manual , +100 MHz, motherboard limits, xfr auto. Spikes to 4.5 , would be nice for sure to run cinebench sc on it :p , but it keeps switching, downvolting + going to sleep. Can't complain about how ryzen manages tasks in games though consistently was getting better results in Division 2 benchmark on auto (pbo,xfr -on/off) than 4.4 GHz allcore.
KBnhKMe.png
Nice, so far Ive tried all cores. I haven't touched PBO or anything else since I am new to AMD and have no idea how a few things behave. Will be doing more testing today and tomorrow.

Soldato
If you are talking about the C18 16GB one, then it is that sort of price a few places. I'd think that if anything it is being cleared through as a newer version of it with different IC's may be around. So far nothing can touch the E-Die for value though, especially if you want higher clocks with decent but not amazing latency.

true- more for users that just want to drop and play i guess

ah corsair and IC ...

Permabanned
I ran ptime 95 anf aida 64 for stress trsting and for bemchmarking ive run 3dmark trsts cinibemch r15 and r20 and geekbech 3 and 4 .

In the cinibemch thread i seem to on the liwer end of songle core score but really high on multicore core score even with 3200mh ram

Tbh the way i ser it the 3700x and 3800x really are for 2 differnt people amd with 2 cpu in same branding like 3600 and 3600x and 3700x and 3800x anyone with a bit of knowhow knows that the cou have the same linits like oc and mhz etc .

But not everyone is confidant to oc or evrn mess with the bios etc to get the best out of a pc. Imagine your mom and dad buying a pc prebuilt one and 3700x based system and 3800x based system next to each other you dad see the spec sheet and only a small differnce the 3800k look better then. But for most of us geeks and nerds who will play with everything the 3700x is just better in every way but someone who wants plug and play the 3800x is just bettrr
Thats nice setup You got :)

Soldato
2x 16gb as 4 slots less equals less strain on IMC and lanes , unless your rocking an 8 layer PCB like Xtreme ? or 4 layer like Gaming X which isn't the best for 4 dimms

Thanks I guess it will be 2 x 16Gb. It probably is better suited for me then if I don't do any fiddling with RAM or overclocking. Not yet anyway.

Edit: Hmm can't find it now.

Last edited:
Soldato
That does seem to be the common opinion so far!

I wonder if this might change once bios updates settle down and some of these boost oddities are resolved (if ever)..

I'm basically taking this bet.
I don't need 12c for gaming (we still struggle to answer for 8 for gaming tbh) so... with how XFR2/PBO was kinda "advertised" as working, originally, it'll sit within a thermal/temperature envelope.
Having the additional headroom with 4 less cores should help balance that equation in the 3800X's favour. The assumption is that the 3800X has better binned cores than the 3700X or that becomes the default best choice for... most of us gaming on them.

I could well be absolutely wrong and it not materialize. So... taking a bet. It seems there's stuff left to dial in with better bios releases.

Associate
KBnhKMe.png

Interesting, it could be that the 3800X can hold 4.5 more consistently though?

Much testing and comparing to be done methinks...

Soldato
for 2x 8gb 3600hz ... damn, they reacted fast ! sorry .
thought they were going to try and see about lowering resellers but seems they have gone a little higher . bugger

Managed to get it for £89 now.
I think it's because my IP address shows in Norway which confuses matters trying to pay in pounds. Not sure if I should have bought 4 x 8Gb though.

Associate
never seen or heard of that behaviour before.

I set negative offset, and seen no negative consequences to clock speeds chosen by scheduler.

The only negative effect I would expect from a too low voltage is instability if the cpu cannot handle it (poor binning).

Try it. Guaranteed if you set vcore at 1.1 to 1.15 you will see higher boosts but they will not be sustained and benchmarks will be lower

Back
Top Bottom