• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any reason to upgrade a 1600x?

Associate
Hi people
Currently gaming with a 1600x overclocked on all cores to 4.1ghz with a 1080ti.
This plays 90% of the games I play at a decent frame rate at 4k (pubg can drop and stutter a lot).
Would I see a significant increase in performance by dropping a new generation ryzen in their or should I stick with what I have for now?
Cheers

Associate
I would keep the 1600X as at 4K you might not see a significant increase for your money I would suspect.

1080p and 1440p you would get a big boost but not at 4K.

I had a 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz with a 1080Ti and the CPU really held the GPU back at 1440p.

But it's your money and you can do what you want with it.:)

Permabanned
Hi people
Currently gaming with a 1600x overclocked on all cores to 4.1ghz with a 1080ti.
This plays 90% of the games I play at a decent frame rate at 4k (pubg can drop and stutter a lot).
Would I see a significant increase in performance by dropping a new generation ryzen in their or should I stick with what I have for now?
Cheers

If you cpu is pinned at 100% usage upgrade. If not then no need simple.

I use nzxt cam software to monitor in game usage. It's not perfect but it does the job. Ideally you want cpu usage under 80/85%, with the gpu at 100%

Associate
At 60hz no. If you have a 4K 144hz monitor, absolutely.

A new CPU will give you better frames >60 obviously, but it's not going to give you anything beneficial on a standard 60hz monitor/tv.

PUBG isn't that CPU intensive so I would imagine any stuttering is GPU related at 4K.

Caporegime
PUBG doesn't have the best optimization.

people often say this and its often on a weak cpu. basically pubg loves a fast cpu. fast ram. you can get huge fps boosts from a strong cpu.also high mhz. so a 3600 would give you probably 15-20 fps stock. intel cpus seem to do better on pubg. overclocked they can give a massive boost. if you have a 1080ti i would get a 3600 if you play a lot of pubg. if its just casual game here and there not really worth it.

try playing how most play pubg all lowest settings except texture ultra view distance ultra. no one who plays it a lot and is decent plays it all ultra and so on.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful. This pc is used purely for gaming.
Pubg is annoying as this pc can run metro exodus and battlefield 5 fine at extreme settings....
I am only interested in 60hz as my monitor only does this and cost me a fortune so there's no way I'm changing that :O

I need to test for CPU usage in game I never thought of that thank you...

Soldato
Has OCUK had a personality change? This is the forum where you should be belittled for not having bought flagship at the time and suggested to buy flagship now.

In short though, 3600X would be an easy drop in upgrade if you felt the need otherwise go mental with a 3700X.

Associate
Has OCUK had a personality change? This is the forum where you should be belittled for not having bought flagship at the time and suggested to buy flagship now.

In short though, 3600X would be an easy drop in upgrade if you felt the need otherwise go mental with a 3700X.
Not really, but he already has a 6 core/12 thread, might as well upgrade to an 8 core if he is going to spend the money to upgrade.

Permabanned
I was thinking the same thing - next gen consoles will be 8 core so you'll keep parity.

8 cores with low clock speeds and 2 cores used just for the OS/background processing. Xbox/ps only run about 2.2ghz

6c 12t at 4.4ghz will be more powerful than a next gen console

Edit
Original and S model:Custom 1.75 GHz AMD 8-core APU (2 quad-core Jaguar modules)[8][9]
X model: Custom 2.3 GHzAMD 8-core APU (2 quad-core Evolved Jaguarmodules)

Associate
8 cores with low clock speeds and 2 cores used just for the OS/background processing. Xbox/ps only run about 2.2ghz

6c 12t at 4.4ghz will be more powerful than a next gen console

Edit
Original and S model:Custom 1.75 GHz AMD 8-core APU (2 quad-core Jaguar modules)[8][9]
X model: Custom 2.3 GHzAMD 8-core APU (2 quad-core Evolved Jaguarmodules)

Sorry - I meant the next generation of consoles, not the current gen. So 8c/16t Zen 2 @ 3.6 (assuming Flute is Scarlet).

Soldato
At 60hz no. If you have a 4K 144hz monitor, absolutely.

A new CPU will give you better frames >60 obviously, but it's not going to give you anything beneficial on a standard 60hz monitor/tv.

PUBG isn't that CPU intensive so I would imagine any stuttering is GPU related at 4K.
This. The games that are not playing as well are probably game/driver related issues. No need to upgrade just yet.

Back
Top Bottom