• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
This is a tough start to Ryzen 3700x for me.
B450 board didn't workout, now it is looking like this x570 ultra is the same, but a different problem.
I'm patient with these teething problems, as I bought my i2500k late on, when Haswell was released with next to no problems.

I've done over half a dozen system, with B450 and now two X570's in the past two weeks since launch, zero issues other than a weird boost behaviour and an Asus Strix B450-F killing an R9 3900X which is RMA'd to AMD presently.

Sounds to me like bad luck, and or lack of experience with trouble shooting and other parts to test with, not that you should have to do that mind you with a new system.

I've already 'rescued' a couple of people by flashing boards for them due to 'impossible issues' that they couldn't resolve, it took some patience and a bit of logical thinking plus some experience. All ended up well. :)

Associate
1080p - Medium

If useful 1440p - Highest preset

I don't spend much time here so can't guarantee I'll see stuff like this but I saw your post and having run the 1440p one yesterday for a comparison post in a thread on AVForums I thought I'd run it and help. If there's more I can help with I can drop my Discord ID so you can give me a shout and I'll see it. Plus I'm curious what you're doing with it

Thanks again really helpful info! We're running a charity speedrunning event soon, the runner for Bioshock Infinite said he needs 350fps to do one of the glitches used. For the event PC I wasn't sure if the Zen 2 would be good enough because of it falling noticeably behind the 9700k at 1080p/low qualities, but it looks like it should be okay

TrM

TrM

Associate
But....but.... Thats the roach!

It is the roach :) but it works surprisingly well with thermal paste application hehe couldn’t find the spreader nozzle for my larger tube of tg and was the only thing I had at hand that I thought might work now I don’t use anything else lol

Associate
Serious enough to render it useless for now? I think many are having issues. It's the ultimate rush job to get them to market it seems - even one of the OCUK staff told AMD the product wasn't ready. But I'm sure hardware wise it'll bit fine but need the software (bios particularly) to play catch up, hopefully this will happen very soon with the new boards released at least.

Exactly, I am trying to be patient with this.
As the new technology with be a huge upgrade for me and last a long time.
Teething problems are to be expected.

Soldato
Been messing around and i have no idea what im doing but is this score ok on a 3700x

all core OC to 4.2ghz at 1.28v, also used the DRAM calculator to set my Corsair Vengance RGB 3466hz to 3600hz with tighter timing 14-15-15-30-46-35-6-8, (can i go higher than 3600?) i have no idea what im doing!

R6rm7Tc.png

Associate
Been messing around and i have no idea what im doing but is this score ok on a 3700x

all core OC to 4.2ghz at 1.28v, also used the DRAM calculator to set my Corsair Vengance RGB 3466hz to 3600hz with tighter timing 14-15-15-30-46-35-6-8, (can i go higher than 3600?) i have no idea what im doing!

R6rm7Tc.png

Hey mate. What are your CPU settings with that? When I manually set the score to below 1.3, my cinebench score actually decreases to the 1700s. Are you editing them in ryzen master/ can you post screenshot?

Nice score at that voltage !

Soldato
Hey mate. What are your CPU settings with that? When I manually set the score to below 1.3, my cinebench score actually decreases to the 1700s. Are you editing them in ryzen master/ can you post screenshot?

Nice score at that voltage !

sorry, im a complete an utter noob and just copied some setting from others, i hand overridden the CPU voltage in the BIOS set CPU loadline calibration to level 2 i think. Havent touhched Ryzen Master, Turned PBO off,

Temps are anything from 36-46 at idle and around 73c while doing Cinebench and can get up to high 70's in a 100% stress test.

Associate
Just taken the plunge to order a 3700x, im not even 100% sure I need it coming from a 1700x, but it looked like a fair leap in performance on paper. I will be using faster ram too ona crosshair x470 board. Is there any recoemmendations for precision boost overdrive? Im not so familiar with this fature and what it entails.

Ive heard overclocking is pretty much a no no with these chips, is that also correct? there is a lot of info to trawl through

TIA

Associate

R6rm7Tc.png

Was the score 2160 with 3466 CL14? Nice score for someone who has no clue. lol

Associate
Thanks again really helpful info! We're running a charity speedrunning event soon, the runner for Bioshock Infinite said he needs 350fps to do one of the glitches used. For the event PC I wasn't sure if the Zen 2 would be good enough because of it falling noticeably behind the 9700k at 1080p/low qualities, but it looks like it should be okay
No problem. Sounds cool, good luck with it!

Permabanned
How thick are you making the coating on the IHS with liquid metal?.
well had 2 add extra cause IHS is not 100% flat.... got photos of it sec
t1000.jpg

This was not enough had to add extra small dropand move it more to sides of IHS from center that cut me 3c from first application. Leaving it as it is till @8 Pack starts selling AM4 new blocks.

I'w been using Liquid metal since it came out starting on my 2500k (think 9 years )kinda usefull when You pushing pass 200w in to cpu when stress testing every single CELSIUS counts ;)

Even with todays 28c in Nottingham I was stress testing around 200w stable with 86c peak on cpu :)

I miss good old duron 700 days with no IHS
275px-AMD_Duron_700_D700AST1B_Sockel_A.jpg

Back then there was no water cooling stuff on market so had to DIY. My mate was working in airplane factory so asked him to CNC me a water block from block of copper simple zigzag design. Soldered in 2 copper pipes to top plate and soldered that to the block myself. Add car radiator matrix and aqarium pump submerged in big glass JAR and PENCIL MOD + bclk overclocking hehehehe.

But I remember people crushing exposed cores with incorrect pressure on cooler mountings thats why no more exposed die cpus i guess :(

Last edited:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Got to say I am delighted. Just tried my first game since going from 4690k to 3700x. (Spend all weekend transfering files and downloading, dialing in RAM etc.

Didn't expect much gaming gains but got instant 30fps+ increase in RUST. and just felt smoother, no lows or micro stutters.

Delighted at new rig!

Sounds good. 1440P?

Back
Top Bottom