*** The official beard thread ***

Soldato
September 2018 vs July 2019 :)

september-vs-july.png

Associate
I'm trying for maybe only the second or third time in my life to grow a beard. I usually manage about three weeks before I get a bit disillusioned (and an itchy face) before the razor appears and it comes off. But I'm going for it this time.....into fourth week of growth and managing to keep it.....I'm even looking at beard products and what styles might suit my face shape and maybe getting a beard trimmer. Looks like I'll be trimming it rather than shaving it off this time.

Soldato
I'm trying for maybe only the second or third time in my life to grow a beard. I usually manage about three weeks before I get a bit disillusioned (and an itchy face) before the razor appears and it comes off. But I'm going for it this time.....into fourth week of growth and managing to keep it.....I'm even looking at beard products and what styles might suit my face shape and maybe getting a beard trimmer. Looks like I'll be trimming it rather than shaving it off this time.

It give it a good few months before you start trimming, it starts off itchy but it quickly dissipates, beard oil isn't actually for your beard its for your skin, the beard requires a lot of moisture to stay healthy and hydrating your skin with beard oil is very beneficial.

Associate
It give it a good few months before you start trimming, it starts off itchy but it quickly dissipates, beard oil isn't actually for your beard its for your skin, the beard requires a lot of moisture to stay healthy and hydrating your skin with beard oil is very beneficial.

Thanks for your suggestions......yes, I'm looking out for beard oil or some other hydration product.....using a hydrating after shave balm at present....oh the irony!!

Soldato
I've had to resort to keeping by beard short. No matter how many different beard oils I try they all have the same result - agonising boils and skin irritation.

It's not an option to not use the oils with a longer length since the flakiness soon sets in and the beardruff is embarrassing. I'll just have to stick to short beard with moisturiser. It's all going grey now anyway.

Soldato
I've had to resort to keeping by beard short. No matter how many different beard oils I try they all have the same result - agonising boils and skin irritation.

It's not an option to not use the oils with a longer length since the flakiness soon sets in and the beardruff is embarrassing. I'll just have to stick to short beard with moisturiser. It's all going grey now anyway.

I have extremely dry skin (as in I have to moisturise every day, else my skin goes red raw) and the beard dandruff was insane as one day after washing it, it was full of flakes, until I bought this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001ETUD5I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At first you put it in once every 3-4 days until the dandruff goes, then use it once per week, since I've been using it I haven't had any issues with itching, dandruff or anything. If beard oil, balms or anything else didn't work for you (the same as they didn't for me) I highly suggest giving that a try.

Soldato
Interesting, I have and do still use t-gel on my scalp, tried it on the beard but it made it feel very brittle and rough. Will give this a go when the weather gets a bit cooler, thanks for the recommendation.

Soldato
Folks, any tips or advice for a first time beard grower? I’m 3 weeks in and have a good growth going on so far. I’m 48 and this is the first beard I’ve grown. I’m not as yet, sure what style I’m looking for, probably short, almost like heavy stubble with more growth on the chin moustache area than the sides. I just don’t know what the score is in terms of starting to shape or trim it 3 weeks in? I’ve read on a few online sites that you shouldn’t be tempted to go anywhere near it with a trimmer or a razor until at least 4 weeks in. But I’ve got a good few ‘unruly’ hairs at different angles and it’s looking a bit scruffy.

I’ve ordered Bulldog oil to see if that tidies it up a bit whilst I go through this ‘awkward’ stage. No itching yet I’m glad to say.

Cheers.

Soldato
Well, that's me 4 weeks in and I trimmed my beard yesterday as it was getting pretty scraggly and had hairs going all over the shop. Now looks much neater. Used a Braun MGK3020 with the trim shield set to setting number 3. I assume now I just wait for it to grow a bit more whilst gently trimming back the wayward hairs every couple of days? Very pleased with it so far although it's early days. I should have grown one years ago!!

I've also started using Bulldog Beard Oil which helps keep things looking slick and smells quite pleasant into the bargain.

Soldato
Right fellow beard types, bumping this up again. I'm confused. I've been trimming my beard using setting 7 on my Braun beard trimmer to get rid of some of the scraggly/wayward hairs that pop up. But the beard itself doesn't seem to be growing much more or thickening up? So my question is - if I trim every couple of days it to get rid of the the stray hairs here and there, am I therefore limiting the potential for it to thicken up and actually grow more? I dunno?

Permabanned
Right fellow beard types, bumping this up again. I'm confused. I've been trimming my beard using setting 7 on my Braun beard trimmer to get rid of some of the scraggly/wayward hairs that pop up. But the beard itself doesn't seem to be growing much more or thickening up? So my question is - if I trim every couple of days it to get rid of the the stray hairs here and there, am I therefore limiting the potential for it to thicken up and actually grow more? I dunno?
trim the ends not the growth if it gets scraggly ..a good comb and put some brylcreme on will smooth it out ..

Permabanned
growth is main beard .. ends are just that ends under the chin ..
I have a 5 inch chin beard once every 2-3 months I trim 1mm off the bottom .
takes away the split ends you will have shorter hairs above this but leave them .
grooming is what your after get it to sit right wash and condition it ..
it's only going to be what you put into it

Soldato
I've had a beard for about 10 years now, last shaved in about 2009. I keep it pretty close cut, but let it grow out for maybe a couple of months recently and then trimmed it back into shape. It looks a lot denser now as I only took out of the length what I felt was excessive. Good move!

Associate
First post here! Usually a lurker but thought sod it I'll revive this beard thread!

What oils do you lot use? This is about 2 months growth. I never bothered with oils to be honest, just shampoo and conditioner.

Anyways here is 2 months so far

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom