4K monitor and GFX upgrade combo

Associate
Greetings and salutations

I hope you are all well and the fans are not struggling too much in the heat :)

I have come into some extra monies and have a decision to make, to I add it to the pot of savings like a responsible adult or be a man of culture and get a new 4K monitor and GFX card.

The budget is £1k but would prefer not to spend it all though happy to pay for longevity.

I currently have a Asus GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC and a 1080p BenQ GW2750HM 27" Widescreen monitor run by a Skylake Core i7 6700K CPU 16gm RAM.

What I am noticing is a lot of screen tearing (tried fixes) and games just don’t run well on max settings.

So over to the wise of OCUK, what GFX screen combo would you recommend? If an option I’d lean the funds towards the GFX card. The monitor would need to be 27" or bigger :D

As always any advice will be most appreciated.

Best

CitizenX

Last edited:
Soldato
An RTX 2080 (or one of the new 2070 Super cards) in combination with a Freesync/Gysnc supporting 4K monitor is a good combination, keeps the framerates buttery smooth when the vanilla 2080 isn't quite up to running things at a locked 4K/60.

It's the setup I use (2080 & LGUK850 4K monitor) which can be both had for a little more than your £1K budget or well within budget if you go for the 2070 Super & the LGUK650 4K monitor (exactly the same monitor as the 850 but without built in speakers & USB C port)

Associate
OP
Thank you very much Cooper for the advice and i will definitely look at that, the thing i thought Team Red has some new cards out with similar performance for a better price or am i mistaken?

Many thanks as always

Soldato
The Nvidia 2070 Super is the best card you can get for 4K gaming in combination with a Freesync/Gysnc 4K monitor and staying well within your £1K budget (together the cost should come to about £850 if you shop around) Team Red's 5700XT is a good card but it is just that little bit slower than the 2070 Super, but it is a bit cheaper, your choice really.

Thing is, if you really want to go 4K, every little bit of extra GPU grunt counts.

Associate
OP
@Cooper , a quick question, if i was a bit more flush would getting the 2080 super vs standard 2080 be feasible?
I will be getting the LGUK650 4K as i have speakers etc so thinking of putting more grunt into the card :)

Last edited:
Soldato
@Cooper , a quick question, if i was a bit more flush would getting the 2080 super vs standard 2080 be feasible?
I will be getting the LGUK650 4K as i have speakers etc so thinking of putting more grunt into the card :)

Well, the 2080 Super will be as fast as card as you can get before going all out for the 2080Ti, so if you have the means, go for it. They're about 10% faster (on average) than regular 2080's (at stock clock speeds) and can get to within 10-15% of a 2080Ti's performance with a good overclock.

Associate
OP
@Cooper thanks again mate, do you have any thoughts on the two 2070 supers? My thinking is to get the monitor, use my 1060 and play 1080p for now taking advantage for the FREESYNC and wait for some more card options.

I really appreciate your time :)

Associate
OP
Hi Quartz, thank you for the recommendation but it may be a bit rich for my blood, not ruling it out though.

A real noob question, but is there a huge difference between a 1 ms and 5 ms response time? i have read around a bit some say yes yet more say no.

@Cooper , i have read some reviews and a number of people complain about black light bleed, not sure what that is really but how is your experience with the LGUK650 4K?

Again appreciate your time

Associate
What games are you playing? have you thought about 1440p with high refresh rate?
I bought a 4k monitor and 1080ti about 18 months ago and although its great its not like having a 4k tv, i mean it looks nice but im pretty sure a lot of games still use 1080p textures so they dont look that much better, you just dont need as much anti-aliasing on.
If i had the option again i would have got the same GPU but probably go with a 165hz 1440p monitor with G-sync.

If you do decide to go 4k then make sure you get a G-sync monitor, in some games i have nice smooth gameplay at 45-55fps.

Associate
OP
Hi @NovaKill4 , thank you for replying.

My games vary from FPS, total-war/strategy to mmo's, really depends on the flavour of the month :)

At the moment starting to hate on Rust, not really just hooked for the past week (i know badly optimized game so not something to compare) :)

I am looking to upgrade as my monitor is about to turn 8 years old and it may be me but it does not "sparkle" as it used to, got a bonus and thought id invest it in some hardware.

have a 1060 which should play everything on "Ultra" at 1080p but get a lot of tearing of late but could be the games not sure.

if there was a monitor you would have an eye on what would you recommend?

Many thanks
CitizenX

Associate
I have not really looked into monitors or kept up with GPU's recently but this is what i would start looking at to begin with and research from there.

The Zotac 2070 Super is the cheapest i think but from what i remember Zotac have good RMA in the uk. It may not be the best overclocking card or the fastest compared to others but it will easily drive 1440p @ 100hz+ in most if not all games.
The monitor is the cheapest that has everything i would be looking for: 27", 1440p, high refresh rate, G-sync, IPS/VA panel

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,034.94 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

As i said, this is what i would start with and look at other products and compare until you find somethinng you like, read some reviews, watch some unboxings and reviews on youtube.

Associate
OP
Hello good people of OCUK

I was hoping i could request your assistance once more.

So many deals around the corner and i am still in the market for a new monitor (27"+) and GFX combo for a budget of +-£1k

i have been doing some research and a lot of suggestions are not to go 4K but stay around the 2K mark to play latest games on ultra, but I will take your advice.

I am not married to a brand just pretty graphics, are there any recommendations?

As always any advice would be most welcome :D

Best regards
CitizenX

Associate
OP
I am sure either would be great :D
Unfortunately i am really behind on my hardware knowledge, any suggestions on specific combos that have treated people well would be awesome.

I will also have a look into some benchmarks for GFX cards but monitors are way out of my comfort zone, i have had a 1080p for the past 5 years :p

Soldato
Associate
OP
You definitely want a high-refresh rate monitor, but higher than 120 / 144 Hz doesn't make much difference

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,311.24 (includes shipping: £12.30)
you sir are a gem, thank you i will look into this post haste!!

Back
Top Bottom